SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Not really fond of 10/22s but I did a thing and have few questions.
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Not really fond of 10/22s but I did a thing and have few questions. Login/Join 
Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted
I fumble with the 10 round 10/22 magazines and find them frustrating which is likely why I am
not really fond of the gun. Plus I really like my Marlin and Remington tube feds guns. But the 15 rounders working kind of like an AK in the pistol grip gun is much smoother so I may dig this setup in the end.
Anywho I came across a 10/22 Charger for stupid cheap. Figured I would toss a red dot and a bipod on it for the kids so I bought it and threw a brace on just because.

Neat enough. But then I wanted a super compact folding backpack gun and came across a 6” Kidd barrel it that did not fit the Ruger Chassis so that led me to a PMACA Chassis and A3 Tactical 1913 adapter. So I tossed everything together. Turns out the PMACA chassis requires an AR pistol grip with no beaver tail and I have exactly ZERO of those.

So the disassembly and reassembly leads me to some questions.

When I remove the receiver from the chassis the large rear bolt pin (I believe) literally just falls out of either side. There is no resistance at all. Is this a problem?

Next, the bolt it pretty rough what is the best way to clean this up?
I used some M PRO7 CLP but it did not really do much.

Then when I installed the barrel there is a touch of a gap between the barrel and the receiver. The extractor falls in the slot on the barrel just fine and the bolt meets the back of the barrel face with no gap.

Is there good drop in trigger group that does not break the bank?

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!

Posts: 25356 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:

no idea if a charger is a full 10/22 under the covers, but if it is the Ruger BX trigger is the most cost effective of the choices.

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 10974 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by hrcjon:
quote:

no idea if a charger is a full 10/22 under the covers, but if it is the Ruger BX trigger is the most cost effective of the choices.

Yes, they are the same

————————————————

goodheart
Picture of sjtill
posted Hide Post
I tried the BX trigger, but replaced it with a Timney trigger; metal not plastic, feels better but more $$.

I also replaced the bolt with a Kidd bolt, much smoother. Definitely get their spring kit and auto bolt release.

If that's a Kidd barrel you installed you should send the photo to them, they are excellent with customer service.

Posts: 18018 | Location: One hop from Paradise | Registered: July 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Bolt stop pin: normal for it to fall out. Recommend replacing it with one of the various synthetic options.

Bolt: steel wool, oil and elbow grease. Or have a shop vapor blast it.

Trigger: best bang for the buck is a Volquartsen hammer. Add a pencil eraser to the back of the trigger to limit overtravel. (I used Acraglass on one and the eraser stayed put for ten years).

"Owning a handgun doesn't make you armed any more than owning a guitar makes you a musician." -Jeff Cooper

Posts: 8756 | Location: UT | Registered: December 05, 1999Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I love Voquartsen. I have a 10/22 old one and a takedown. I would love to turn one or both into a project. These 10/22 projects can easily turn pricey though. I now need to research what the hell acraglass is. lol

Posts: 7349 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by pedropcola:
I now need to research what the hell acraglass is.

Is is sold by Brownells. One variety:

https://www.brownells.com/guns...17128-1038-3794.aspx

Good stuff for what it does.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47366 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SIGfourme
posted Hide Post
The BX trigger is the best bang for the buck.
Link: https://lanbosarmory.com/index...14&products_id=33356
The bolt stop is just a synthetic shock absorber--it will cost more to ship than the actually bolt stop.

Posts: 2295 | Location: Southeast CT | Registered: January 18, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of kimberkid
posted Hide Post
I really like my Charger and when I put a binary trigger on it, it really flipped my switch!

Broken down I can fit it all in my shoulder bag

If you really want something you'll find a way ...
... if you don't you'll find an excuse.

I'm really not a "kid" anymore ... but I haven't grown up yet either Wink

Posts: 5700 | Registered: January 11, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of shoevb
posted Hide Post
Tandemkross makes "Companion" magazine bumpers that extend the 10 round magazines for an easier grip. I've gotten a few and they really help.

Posts: 1215 | Location: Hampton Roads | Registered: February 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Unless you have the old style mag catch, mags should drop free.

"Owning a handgun doesn't make you armed any more than owning a guitar makes you a musician." -Jeff Cooper

Posts: 8756 | Location: UT | Registered: December 05, 1999Reply With QuoteReport This Post
They're after my Lucky Charms!
Picture of IrishWind
posted Hide Post
For the trigger: The Volquartsen Hammer kit is an amazing upgrade for under $40. Also get the auto bolt release, and an extended mag release. You will be taking the trigger apart, those upgrades help.

Lord, your ocean is so very large and my divos are so very f****d-up
Dirt Sailors Unite!

Posts: 25075 | Location: NoVa | Registered: May 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Chris Orndorff:
Unless you have the old style mag catch, mags should drop free.

The rifle I have had for like 12 or so years does not drop free and one has to angle the front of the back of the mag (don’t remember which) to insert the 10 rounders.
Probably a bunch of practice would make it much smoother but I just never felt like bothering.

This charger I have only used the 15 rounders and functioning similarly to an AK seems to work nicely.

quote:
Originally posted by IrishWind:
For the trigger: The Volquartsen Hammer kit is an amazing upgrade for under $40. Also get the auto bolt release, and an extended mag release. You will be taking the trigger apart, those upgrades help.

How bad of a task is this? I like the price but kind of would like a metal houses drop in like the Timney.

————————————————

They're after my Lucky Charms!
Picture of IrishWind
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Black92LX:
quote:
Originally posted by IrishWind:

How bad of a task is this? I like the price but kind of would like a metal houses drop in like the Timney.

Super easy. There are a couple of YouTube videos showing how to do it. IIRC it was about 15-20 minutes of work. Probably would have gone faster but I was following along with the video and was rewinding a few times to make sure I got it right. And you have to remove the bolt hold open part to replace the hammer. Get the Auto bolt release part with the hammer. It is so much easier to release the bolt by grabbing the charging handle and give a tug back than trying to manipulate the bolt release in front of the trigger.

OK, just checked Amazon, and looks like they no longer have Volquatrsen products. But here are the two I recommend:
https://volquartsen.com/inventory_configurations/817
https://volquartsen.com/produc...tomatic-bolt-release
Maybe Midway or Brownell's has them for a little less.

Last item is Kidd makes a nice mag release that conforms to the trigger guard.

Lord, your ocean is so very large and my divos are so very f****d-up
Dirt Sailors Unite!

Posts: 25075 | Location: NoVa | Registered: May 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SIGfourme
posted Hide Post
Auto bolt release is able to be performed with a dremel and 2 minutes time.
Basically, removing the metal projection which gives the cutout a heart shape.
Here's link:https://www.instructables.com/Ruger-1022-DIY-Auto-Bolt-Release/

Posts: 2295 | Location: Southeast CT | Registered: January 18, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
I did the bolt release thing to mine and it was simple easy, just follow the video and go slowly. GTG

Black, I have a standard grip I ground the finger bump off of to make it resemble the original grip. I’ll send it to you free if you want to try it. Just send me ani email

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11247 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MikeinNC:
I did the bolt release thing to mine and it was simple easy, just follow the video and go slowly. GTG

Black, I have a standard grip I ground the finger bump off of to make it resemble the original grip. I’ll send it to you free if you want to try it. Just send me ani email

I missed this but thanks for the offer. I grabbed a BCM today and it fits just right.

I think I am going to grab a B&T 22 Suppressor for this thing since they are super light at 3.5 oz

————————————————

Picture of kimberkid
posted Hide Post
I gotta ask …
Since you bought this Charger super cheap for the kids, but then it morphed into a super short, suppressed backpack gun with a Kidd barrel, PCMACA Chassis, mag release light trigger and what looks like a Steiner red dot, with a BT suppressor “incoming” (I like your build by the way)

Do the kids still get it? Wink Eek Razz

If you really want something you'll find a way ...
... if you don't you'll find an excuse.

I'm really not a "kid" anymore ... but I haven't grown up yet either Wink

Posts: 5700 | Registered: January 11, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go Vols!
Picture of Oz_Shadow
posted Hide Post
I find the 10 rounders more reliable. Lula makes a loader for them now.

Posts: 17871 | Location: SE Michigan | Registered: February 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by kimberkid:
I gotta ask …
Since you bought this Charger super cheap for the kids, but then it morphed into a super short, suppressed backpack gun with a Kidd barrel, PCMACA Chassis, mag release light trigger and what looks like a Steiner red dot, with a BT suppressor “incoming” (I like your build by the way)

Do the kids still get it? Wink Eek Razz

No!! I’d have to build 2 more But I’ll let them shoot it.
Not sure the Steiner will stay on this. Just had it lying around and tossed it on. Looking for a TINY prism with etched reticle.

————————————————