SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    White Oak Uppers
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

White Oak Uppers Login/Join 
Age Quod Agis
Picture of ArtieS
posted
I am contemplating this upper for a long range accuracy AR build. I understand that I could spend a lot more money, and potentially get more accuracy, but I am not competing with this build, just playing around and having some fun.

Is this a reasonable (although heavy) upper or should I be looking elsewhere. I'd like to keep the cost of the upper under $750, and preferably under $700.

I suppose that another answer is "you will not get anything reasonably accurate for that price point, don't bother". I'd accept that answer and consider a different build.

Thanks.

"I vowed to myself to fight against evil more completely and more wholeheartedly than I ever did before. . . . That’s the only way to pay back part of that vast debt, to live up to and try to fulfill that tremendous obligation."

Alfred Hornik, Sunday, December 2, 1945 to his family, on his continuing duty to others for surviving WW II.

Posts: 12744 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: November 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I don't know if it will meet your needs or if there is something better suited to what you are looking for.

That said. White Oak makes/builds good stuff. John is a great gunsmith.

ARman

Posts: 3146 | Registered: May 19, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Delta-3
posted Hide Post
quote:
I don't know if it will meet your needs or if there is something better suited to what you are looking for.

That said. White Oak makes/builds good stuff. John is a great gunsmith.

I agree. White Oak (at least the ones I've used) have been supremely accurate. They are one of the best you can get.

Rom 13:4 If you do evil, be afraid. For he does not bear the sword in vain. For he is God's minister, an avenger to execute wrath on him who practices evil.

Posts: 702 | Location: NW Ohio but Montana is always home. | Registered: September 30, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I had that upper, only with a 1-12" twist, specifically for varmint bullets. It was superb; a nephew now has it.

My current favorite AR has a WO upper in SPR format. It too is superb with my M262 clone handloads.

I'd take any White Oak barrel or upper and be confident that I have a quality product.

Posts: 780 | Registered: January 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Blackmore
posted Hide Post
Unfortunately, it appears that neither John nor Compass Lake Engineering is making a NM upper with a true A2 upper receiver anymore. Fulton Armory still makes one though. Price isn't too bad in the current market and anything I've bought from them has been quality.

NM Upper True A2

In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act

Posts: 3435 | Location: W. Central NH | Registered: October 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Blackmore:
Unfortunately, it appears that neither John nor Compass Lake Engineering is making a NM upper with a true A2 upper receiver anymore. Fulton Armory still makes one though. Price isn't too bad in the current market and anything I've bought from them has been quality.

NM Upper True A2

I don't think Artie wants an A2 for what he is doing,

odd that CLE makes a dedicated 22 in A2 and not centerfire,,

https://www.chesterfieldarmament.com/

Posts: 10410 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ArtieS:
I am contemplating this upper for a long range accuracy AR build. I understand that I could spend a lot more money, and potentially get more accuracy, but I am not competing with this build, just playing around and having some fun.

Is this a reasonable (although heavy) upper or should I be looking elsewhere. I'd like to keep the cost of the upper under $750, and preferably under $700.

I suppose that another answer is "you will not get anything reasonably accurate for that price point, don't bother". I'd accept that answer and consider a different build.

Thanks.

that upper will serve you well

https://www.chesterfieldarmament.com/

Posts: 10410 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
One more thing...

"Long range accuracy" means different things to different people, but I'd suggest you pick something with a faster twist, unless you plan on sticking with lighter bullets (55 grain and under), in which case I'm not sure you really mean "long range".

Posts: 780 | Registered: January 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
I am contemplating this upper for a long range accuracy AR build.

That's a reasonable option. Its 1:8 twist will shoot heavy match bullets well, but won't be too fast for the lighter bullets. You will be able to shoot factory loads from 55 to 77 grains, and maybe even loads with bullets down to 40 grains. White Oak makes good uppers.

Consider your rifle's total weight with a heavy profile 24" barrel. I have such a beast -- and it shoots well. Stable as hell from a rested position and minimal recoil. But it's muzzle heavy, even with a Magpul PRS stock and a substantial scope. A 24" barrel pretty much maximizes the muzzle velocity of 223 loads. However, a 20" barrel is no slouch for MV. Just something to consider.

Posts: 7853 | Location: Colorado | Registered: January 26, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Age Quod Agis
Picture of ArtieS
posted Hide Post
Thank you to all who answered, with a special thanks to fritz. I was hoping you would reply here.

I'm conscious of the weight issue, but this will be a bipod and bags gun. Not an offhand shooter.

"I vowed to myself to fight against evil more completely and more wholeheartedly than I ever did before. . . . That’s the only way to pay back part of that vast debt, to live up to and try to fulfill that tremendous obligation."

Alfred Hornik, Sunday, December 2, 1945 to his family, on his continuing duty to others for surviving WW II.

Posts: 12744 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: November 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of kimberkid
posted Hide Post
Many years ago I had an upper like that except it had a Wilson barrel, also 1/8, before Magpul had come out with the PRS stock, so I used an A2 stock and filled it with bird shot for additional weight, I only mention it to shave off a couple hundred from your build. As fritz said, it’s a beast. If I remember correctly it weighed in right around 17 pounds with the scope and a Sinclare single shot sled in a 5 round mag … the sled was for single round fire and locked the bolt back after the shot. It’s also when I discovered the convenience of the BAD lever. Of course now the make ambitious receivers with that function built in … all it takes is money!

By the way, I didn’t see the distance you’re planning to shoot. My range is limited to 300 yards which was good for practice, but a friend has a farm that I could stretch out to 800 yards but I could only get into it between plantings, otherwise I had to walk to set my targets.

If you really want something you'll find a way ...
... if you don't you'll find an excuse.

I'm really not a "kid" anymore ... but I haven't grown up yet either Wink

Posts: 5700 | Registered: January 11, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigless in
Indiana
Picture of IndianaBoy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Thank you to all who answered, with a special thanks to fritz. I was hoping you would reply here.

I'm conscious of the weight issue, but this will be a bipod and bags gun. Not an offhand shooter.

In that case I recommend you get the Mlok handguard option. Will make it easier to attach a bipod.

Posts: 14114 | Location: Indiana | Registered: December 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
quote:
I am contemplating this upper for a long range accuracy AR build.

Not sure about a complete upper but my WOA SDM 20" AR barrel is spectacularly accurate.
The other parts (upper sans barrel) are just clothing to complete a build.
Trigger, sights (optics), barrel and load (ammo) are the key to accuracy (plus your ability and experience).

Posts: 22858 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of papaac
posted Hide Post
Very good price today. I paid the same money in 2013 for a Stag Arms 24" 1/8 twist without a hand guard.

"Among a people generally corrupt, liberty cannot long exist." Edmund Burke

Posts: 4974 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: August 29, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
fugitive from reality
Picture of SgtGold
posted Hide Post
I have that upper. I bought it used and was told it was a White Oak Armament upper meaning it was very good, just a step below their competition uppers. It's been sub MOA for me out to 300 meters, which easily matches my Compass Lake service rifle upper in accuracy.

Posts: 7069 | Location: Newyorkistan | Registered: March 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It might be to many years ago to be exactly relevant today but I had White Oak sleeve my Colt upper and rework the rear site for Production class years ago.

The work was absolutely top notch! If I were to start competing again they would be my first place to start..........dj

Remember, this is all supposed to be for fun...................

Posts: 4123 | Registered: April 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post