SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Beretta ARX ???
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Beretta ARX ??? Login/Join 
Picture of kimberkid
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by herd118:
This conversation takes me all the way back to 1986, it sounds just like when the 1911 owners felt threatened by that newfangled plastic Glock. With exactly the same arguments - 1911's have a better trigger pull, they're more accurate, They're all steel, they're more traditional, there's more aftermarket for them...

We all know how that all worked out. Lol.

LOL ... remember the 45/40 wars ...?

fritz ... can you tell us how you really feel Wink

If you really want something you'll find a way ...
... if you don't you'll find an excuse.

I'm really not a "kid" anymore ... but I haven't grown up yet either Wink

Posts: 5700 | Registered: January 11, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by herd118:
This conversation takes me all the way back to 1986, it sounds just like when the 1911 owners felt threatened by that newfangled plastic Glock. With exactly the same arguments - 1911's have a better trigger pull, they're more accurate, They're all steel, they're more traditional, there's more aftermarket for them...

We all know how that all worked out. Lol.

I am in no way threatened by newfangled plastic firearms. If I were, I wouldn't own both ARs and Glocks. Last I checked, both platforms have their fair share of plastic parts.

I doubt other AR owners are threatened by an ARX. Well, at least those in competition circles.
-- Circles where competitors rely on an AR's accuracy and reliability. The kind of thing that wins matches.
-- Where they rely on an AR's ability to obtain a good cheek weld with just about any optics & mount combo. The kind of thing that allows shooters to put rounds on target, and to spot their own impacts.
-- Where they rely on an AR's ability to swap virtually any magazine between rifles or carbines among other competitors. As in team matches.

Competitors are quick to jump on equipment improvements which make them more competitive. Competitors are using AR-15 platforms -- both DI and their piston cousins. I haven't seen an ARX in competition in my neck of the woods.

There are a lot of Glocks and 1911s out there. I have no idea how many. In my types of matches, I'm among the few (dinosaurs) trying to be competitive with a Glock 17. I don't really like the idea of rolling around in the dirt and rocks with a good 1911. Funny thing, it appears the really great shooters often use an STI 2011 -- essentially a double stack 9mm or .40S&W 1911. Something about that trigger pull, accuracy, and steel. Who'd a thunk it.

Lol indeed.

Posts: 7853 | Location: Colorado | Registered: January 26, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Now Serving 7.62
Picture of 10X-Shooter
posted Hide Post
I’ll freely admit I’m not overly enthusiastic about too much plastic at all. If I had to pay full price I most certainly wouldn’t have spent it on the ARX but half price, sure, why the hell not. I haven’t even zeroed this rifle. I anticipate an interesting time doing so but a bad day at the shooting range is better than a good day at work, anyday. I have too many goodies pushing the tip of the “I have to have one” list like the Bren 805 pistol, B&T APC556, B&T USW, Jericho, CZ 97B (I think that’s right, a .45. Oh yeah, a Griffin Optimus also. We will see how the ARX fares and whether it permanently parks a spot in the stable or moves to pay for one of the others. Either way, I’m going to have fun figuring it out.

Posts: 6005 | Location: TN | Registered: February 12, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
That rug really tied
the room together.
Picture of bubbatime
posted Hide Post
I have an ARX. I think a run of the mill Colt 6920 is superior.

Its a funky ass gun, with a terrible trigger, and some quirks. And mine has been less reliable than ANY AR15 I have ever owned. If I could do it again, I never would have bought it.

I bought it with the intention of putting it next to bed. With 2000 rounds down range, I have decided there is no way in hell I would use it for defense. A proper AR15 gets the job done. Reliably. And without quirks.

Posts: 6660 | Location: Floriduh | Registered: October 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of kimberkid
posted Hide Post
Damb you guys ... now your making me want one just to see if I can make it more accurate and maybe work on the trigger a bit ... I know, its stupid.

When I bought my ACR it had 3-4 moa at 100. I was using handloads that in every other gun with a barrel the same twist and length would give ~1" moa.
The ACR also has a TD barrel and when I took it apart there was hardly any tension when locking the barrel in ... I ordered a the next two thicker shims and when I replaced the shim with the next step up I could barely get the lock lever closed, but it did close.
Next time I took it out and shot it I was right at the ~1" moa. Yeah, I could have sent it back to the factory for warranty but I was comfortable taking the gas system and every thing apart to get to the shim and figured it it was just easier to fix it myself if that's all the problem was ... plus I didn't want them to just ship it back and say "its in spec".

BTW, I haven't taken the barrel off since ... there just isn't a need to, but this makes me wonder if it isn't something as simple as a loose barrel on the Guppy ARX.

edit
Never mind, I just looked at Gunbroker and they are priced between $999 and $1700+
I'm not going to spend that kind of $$$ and expecting problems ... $500 maybe. I was thinking I'd seen the 160 in the $299 range at local fun shows ... there is no reason the 22 is that $500+ or the 223 2x that.

Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post
Paid $800 for my 2nd one at Academy. Buds had them for similar pricing. 55gr 2.5 MOA, heavier bullet under 2 MOA, probably 1.5MOA but I don’t shoot semi 556’a from a bench, standing or prone. And I primarily shoot at steel, and don’t use it like I would my bolt where I’m looking for ultimate accuracy. It’s combat accurate, which is all I need. Both have been bulletproof. I rarely clean them. I have risers on both my stocks. They were inexpensive and are akin to the Scar setup. Got the shooting sight triggers and MBUS Pros. Mine have been great for me for realistic use. I’m not sniping with it, just shooting at steel 100-200 yards. Haven’t had a single issue, they are bulletproof and rarely need to be cleaned. My stamped version fits into a small backpack and has my Elcan on it. Very impressed with the 3rd gens myself as I don’t like direct impingement so I’ve got no use for an AR15. I like the POF pistons but they are much more expensive and heavy. I run USGI, Lancers, and Gen 2 PMags in both of mine without issue. Plenty of magazine availability. I was running Sig 556’s prior so the light weight was a dramatic and welcomed change. The ARX was military designed and in use with several mil’s and LE around the world. It was designed well. The bitching and moaning always comes from AR folks and that’s fine. They usually bitch about 3rd gens in general. Is what it is. People have been whining about the thing for years now, literally crying it exists. I love the disassembly, dual extractors, clean running, light weight, and powder puff recoil. As a HD or patrol rifle it does everything I need it to do. More than a couple hundred yards I want my bolt and 30 cal. I do want the AK conversions and 300 black. A lot of stuff is on hold with the Beretta factory move to Tennessee but just happy I snagged the factory 10.25” barrel as the barrel swap has been awesome. Going back and forth between sbr and 16” takes about 5 seconds. To me it’s like a Glock for 556. Minimal lubrication and maintenance. It’s certainly not the popular choice but I have never ever cared about that. My edc pistols aren’t a popular platform and neither is my favorite shotgun, a Vepr12. I still prefer an AK so I’m hoping we see the 762X39 version as that would turn my ARX into the ultimate shtf rifle with the AK conversion in a bug out bag. I, for one, am glad it exists. Just another product choice on the market place. Don’t like it, cool, don’t buy it, and move on. Hating on more product offerings? Well enjoy that hate. I hope we see more 3rd gens.

What am I doing? I'm talking to an empty telephone

Posts: 12569 | Location: Down South | Registered: January 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Now Serving 7.62
Picture of 10X-Shooter
posted Hide Post
How much are the short barrels running?

Posts: 6005 | Location: TN | Registered: February 12, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Accomplice
posted Hide Post
These seem like a bargain in a world where Scars are $3,000. I sold off my 556 pistols, which I really liked, and replaced them with these ARX100s. I even scored a new production FDE version for a fair price.

Roswell Crash - July, 1947, CIA Formed - Sept, 1947

Posts: 1948 | Registered: September 20, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of myrottiety
posted Hide Post
Meh... I think if I grab something that's not a AR pattern rifle. It'll likely be a Tavor.

Train how you intend to Fight

Remember - Training is not sparring. Sparring is not fighting. Fighting is not combat.

Posts: 8838 | Location: Woodstock, GA | Registered: August 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Why are we dragging a thread about the ARX from 2018 back to life? I'm 99% sure that Beretta has killed the ARX, there certainly aren't any cheap ones around and there are no parts anymore. I bought one because I love guns that take AR mags but aren't AR's. And in the category of those there are a zillion ones that are better than an ARX.

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 10966 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Wreckless
posted Hide Post
Beretta started producing more of them this year. They have a second lease on life currently.

La Dolce Vita

Posts: 543 | Location: SW Florida & SNJ | Registered: July 26, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Accomplice
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by hrcjon:
Why are we dragging a thread about the ARX from 2018 back to life? I'm 99% sure that Beretta has killed the ARX, there certainly aren't any cheap ones around and there are no parts anymore. I bought one because I love guns that take AR mags but aren't AR's. And in the category of those there are a zillion ones that are better than an ARX.

I got each of these new 2021 production ARX100’s for between $1,099-$1,299. They’re not $899 but still a great value in the current market.

Roswell Crash - July, 1947, CIA Formed - Sept, 1947

Posts: 1948 | Registered: September 20, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I like the FDE one, I'm a sucker for poop colored guns. Glad Beretta is still producing them, gives me hope that I might someday get some parts I would like for the ones I have. Also good you now have 3 so you can cannibalize for your own sparing.

Questions = Harassment
posted Hide Post
quote:
I like the FDE one, I'm a sucker for poop colored guns. Glad Beretta is still producing them, gives me hope that I might someday get some parts I would like for the ones I have. Also good you now have 3 so you can cannibalize for your own sparing.

Brownells has some parts, firing pins, extractors, lowers, and some other small parts.
https://www.brownells.com/sear...m?k=arx100&ksubmit=y

Posts: 370 | Location: VA | Registered: April 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
thanks have used that for a few small parts. but they don't have what you really need. And for a gun advertised as multi caliber and multi length Beretta really didn't deliver. Reminds me a bunch of my ACR promises. I don't care too much as I got it to add to my collection of things that take AR mags but aren't AR's and I got my own spares really. If you own one you get why it really wasn't a commercial winner but OK.

posted Hide Post
quote:
snip
And for a gun advertised as multi caliber and multi length Beretta really didn't deliver. Reminds me a bunch of my ACR promises.
snip

And all the Sig rifles that when introduced said they would have caliber conversion kits but never did!

rambo

Posts: 243 | Registered: December 05, 1999Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of kimberkid
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RHINOWSO:
If I wanted a less expensive foreign pistol 556 rifle, I’d buy one.

But I have a couple of SCARs, so I’m good in that department. And when it comes to 556 shooters, ARs are my preference these days.

I looked at the Beretta page and saw the MSRP was $1950 Eek Half that might tempt me, but with several AR's, ACR, HK-93 & 53, CZ Bren 805, AUG, Valmet and Zastava (AK) M85 all in 223/5.56 plus a couple bolt guns ... I think I've got that caliber covered ...

Besides, it's begging to be SBR'd and at 64 with no family gun-nuts I'm finding it difficult to justify any more NFA toys that I'll shoot a few times and put in the safe ... so there's that too.

posted Hide Post
When I bought mine the price was $799 which seemed pretty competitive with a run of the mill AR. I'm guessing we will be near that again if Beretta is producing them again as the market is about to be a big glut as far as I can tell. But to have even that be worthwhile Beretta needs to make the parts and barrels etc. actually available and so far no luck on that.