SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Is brass fired from an HK91 salvageable for reloading?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Is brass fired from an HK91 salvageable for reloading? Login/Join 
Web Clavin Extraordinaire
Picture of Oat_Action_Man
posted
Sold my own HK91 long before I ever got into reloading. Will be shooting someone else's soon. Is the brass going to be at all reloadable, or are the case mouths going to be too far gone after ejection (if I can even find where they land, lol)?

Just want to know whether I should even bother gathering the stuff up after we're done.

----------------------------

Chuck Norris put the laughter in "manslaughter"

Educating the youth of America, one declension at a time.

Posts: 19837 | Location: SE PA | Registered: January 12, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
What is the
soup du jour?

posted Hide Post
Isn’t the chamber fluted, further deforming the brass?

Posts: 2009 | Location: TX | Registered: October 28, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My friends who are unrepentant brass scroungers say nope. It never cleans up like brass fired from other rifles.VI...

Posts: 646 | Registered: July 31, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The issue with the 91 is that the side of the case gets dented because the election bounces the rounds off the rear of the election port. The case mouth isn’t really an issue.

Posts: 3335 | Location: South FL | Registered: February 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Vgex:
Isn’t the chamber fluted, further deforming the brass?

All the fluting really does is leave long powder streaks down the sides of the case. It just cleans off. It normally doesn’t damage the brass.

Posts: 3335 | Location: South FL | Registered: February 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
It’s my understanding that all these fluted chamber, roller delay rifles like the G3/HK91/CETME/C308 really do a number on brass just due to the design.

I have a C308 I bought from a member here but haven’t yet fired it, I stocked up on Wolf steel case .308 for it just before the panic and stupidity hit last summer. I’ve heard it handles steel cased stuff well.

Posts: 33769 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post
https://www.robertrtg.com/stor...ER-NEW-POF-p2172.htm

"Brand new port buffer for HK style rifles. These are the best quality available, real military production parts that are currently in use by more than 25 countries around the globe.

Port Buffers protect your brass, the people you shoot with and the finish of your valuable rifle. Shells will drop to the ground instead of flying 30 feet away. This is a must for range shooters.

The Port Buffer also limits the damage caused to valuable brass for reloading.

Will work for all 7.62 HK style rifles including HK91/G3, PTR91, V51, SAR3/8, FMP, CETME and all clones. Use on HK93/33 requires the forward 1/2" of sheet metal to be trimmed (easy mod).

Port Buffers snap over the top of the receiver. No welding, screws or permanent modifications are required. Furthermore this is the latest Generation port buffer with smooth clamping surface that won't scratch your receiver when being installed or removed.

Will not work with rifles that have welded-on Picatinny rails over the ejection port. Obviously since these snap over the receiver they will not work if you have something welded in its place."

This message has been edited. Last edited by: RichardC,

Posts: 15886 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Delta-3
posted Hide Post
This is a sample of one but my buddy had a HK91 & IF you could find the brass, it was hit or miss if it could be reloaded.

Rom 13:4 If you do evil, be afraid. For he does not bear the sword in vain. For he is God's minister, an avenger to execute wrath on him who practices evil.

Posts: 704 | Location: NW Ohio but Montana is always home. | Registered: September 30, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Delta-3:
This is a sample of one but my buddy had a HK91 & IF you could find the brass, it was hit or miss if it could be reloaded.

Yep. I’d start with the shell deflector linked above. I never tried it with mine because I don’t reload, but I can absolutely vouch for this. The last time I had it to the outdoor range, I pinged a guy about seven benches to my right with an empty. The others could have landed anywhere between him and outer orbit, I certainly didn’t find any looking around after.

Posts: 17113 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Web Clavin Extraordinaire
Picture of Oat_Action_Man
posted Hide Post
Figured as much.

That's a shame, since it looks like he sitting on a pile of Radway Green or Hirtenberger that we'll be shooting.

----------------------------

Chuck Norris put the laughter in "manslaughter"

Educating the youth of America, one declension at a time.

Posts: 19837 | Location: SE PA | Registered: January 12, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bolt Thrower
Picture of Voshterkoff
posted Hide Post
The port buffer will likely scratch the receiver, if your friend cares about that.

Posts: 9956 | Location: Woodinville, WA | Registered: March 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Voshterkoff:
The port buffer will likely scratch the receiver, if your friend cares about that.

I don’t know about the new one linked above, but the original factory port buffer does this. Once it’s in place, you don’t see the scratches, but they will be there and visible when you take the buffer off. I put the buffer on my 1985 bought HK91, but I’m afraid to ever take it off, because otherwise the finish is in excellent condition.

Picture of samnev
posted Hide Post
If you can find the brass after ejection you should be able to reload the brass. I reload the brass after firing it from my HK. Not the prettiest brass after tumbling but workable.

Posts: 1836 | Location: Arizona | Registered: June 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have had an H&K 91 for about forty years. Unless there is a gouge on the brass, I reload it. I think sometimes the way the fired brass hits the receiver, it get a little gouge in it. I use to shoot at a place that has been developed and now has a bunch of houses. When I shot there, it was way back in the woods and you needed 4wd to get there. There was a cleared area about 90 yards long that ended in the side of a big hill. I don't know who owned it but a lot of people shot there. I would always set up on the right side of the firing line. I had shot several hundred rounds of ammo thru the H&K 91 over a few trips to the range. I had never found much of the brass. One day nature called, and I walked a ways back into the trees behind me and on my right side. I found a big pile of brass from the H&K 91. I have shot a bunch of centerfire semi auto rifles and have never seen one throw brass as far as the H&K 91.

Posts: 618 | Location: northern VA. | Registered: August 18, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of trebor44
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by samnev:
If you can find the brass after ejection you should be able to reload the brass. I reload the brass after firing it from my HK. Not the prettiest brass after tumbling but workable.

This^^^! And the caveat is "if you can find it". Ejection velocity will damage anything or person that is up close and personal!

--------------------------------

On the inside looking out, but not to the west, it's the PRK and its minions!

Posts: 624 | Location: Idaho, west of Beaver Dicks Ferry | Registered: August 22, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It is, flute scorch marks and even the dents don’t do anything. Unless it is hitting the case neck hard enough to crush it I wouldn’t worry about a port buffer either.

I reload brass from my FMP rifles and it works.

Posts: 267 | Registered: November 12, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I would only use HK/Cetme fired brass in those rifles.
I had a stuck case in a .308 AR and it was a bitch to get out.
I had sized with a small base die, but the flutes were too pronounced.

Posts: 366 | Registered: January 07, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post