SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Who has a short barreled AR10?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Who has a short barreled AR10? Login/Join 
Web Clavin Extraordinaire
Picture of Oat_Action_Man
posted
I've got an AR10 lower that I'm looking to use for a SBR build. Already got a precision AR10, so that niche is already filled.

I am thinking of a 12.5" barrel. I'd like to keep it compact, so anything more than 13" pushes it outside that envelope, IMO. Will be run suppressed and unsuppressed. An SRD762QD for the time being until I can get a new lighter weight 30 cal can like a Rugged Radiant or something.

Looking for something fun but accurate enough. Got enough 147gr surplus to make noise with, but will also be throwing handloads through it. Will probably top it with an LPVO.

Does anyone have a barrel suggestion? DPMS barrel extension specifically.

----------------------------

Chuck Norris put the laughter in "manslaughter"

Educating the youth of America, one declension at a time.

Posts: 19837 | Location: SE PA | Registered: January 12, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Biochemical
Superfreak
Picture of M4Super90
posted Hide Post
Mine's really just to be obnoxious as possible. 7.5" SLR built by Andocorp and coated by Deadlock. Here's the barrel: https://slrrifleworks.com/micr...el-assembly-7-5-308/

Deadlock still has pic of it posted on Instagrm here: https://www.instagram.com/p/B3...rce=ig_web_copy_link

Now SBRed and with a PMAG D-50. It came with a 3 chamber brake, but I've since switched to a single chamber SR30. The fireballs are amazing...

115 + 115 = 230

Posts: 3675 | Registered: April 29, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Not an AR10, but I have a HK51K that does an obnoxiously good job of producing fireballs and clearing the firing line at the range!

Evaluating volume of fire vs. shot placement effectiveness.

Posts: 659 | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
chickenshit
Picture of rsbolo
posted Hide Post
Holy moly! My Sig556 swat SBR is annoying...

I cannot begin to imagine an AR 10 SBR

Posts: 8000 | Location: East Central FL | Registered: January 05, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I wanna go home
Picture of jeeperxd
posted Hide Post
I have a Vector V51SBR 9.5 bbl huge fireball and very loud.

Posts: 1199 | Location: Pa | Registered: December 16, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 229DAK
posted Hide Post
quote:
I have a Vector V51SBR 9.5 bbl huge fireball and very loud.
There may come a day when indoor ranges begin to ban these. Eek

Posts: 8999 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: November 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
My 16" 7.62x51 and 14.5" 7.62x39 are obnoxious enough. I wouldn't want to go any shorter in an AR10.

Posts: 32411 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of m499
posted Hide Post
My standard AR10 is wild enough, I can't imagine the appeal. SBR'd .308 would rattle the teeth outta my head... lolz

Posts: 2676 | Location: OH, USA | Registered: January 30, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I run trains!
Picture of SigM4
posted Hide Post
Well I’m stupid enough to have done this. 12.5” KAC barreled Aero upper/lower. As you said it’s obnoxious and unnecessary.

One thing that a buddy (who talked me in to doing this with him) and I both found was it was tough trying to get the gas just right. I even had a Superlative Arms bleed off gas block to try to combat the issue. In the end though I reverted to a standard gas block and addressed things with JP heavy captured recoiled spring setup.

Success always occurs in private, and failure in full view.

Complacency sucks…

Posts: 5423 | Location: Wichita, KS (for now)…always a Texan… | Registered: April 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of inspcalahan
posted Hide Post
Sig 716 12.5" upper - with a can on it, it's pretty decent. Why? Just because I could..... not like I'm making hostage rescue entry with it...

Posts: 818 | Location: Alaska | Registered: April 29, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
For those with one on a Form 1, what OAL did you put down?

Posts: 19837 | Location: SE PA | Registered: January 12, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've got a POF P-308 with 14.5" barrel and pinned brake.
It's loud , but very handy.

Posts: 363 | Registered: January 07, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I run trains!
Picture of SigM4
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Oat_Action_Man:

32.875”

Success always occurs in private, and failure in full view.

Complacency sucks…

Posts: 5423 | Location: Wichita, KS (for now)…always a Texan… | Registered: April 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks, that's the barrel length I'll be using.

I'll likely be using a Ballistic Advantage barrel.

Biochemical
Superfreak
Picture of M4Super90
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Oat_Action_Man:

115 + 115 = 230

Posts: 3675 | Registered: April 29, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cjevans
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jeeperxd:
... 9.5 bbl huge fireball and very loud.

And not to mention uncomfortable.
The MC51 had a 9.1" bbl and that was, so I'm told, night vision watering ...

A 12.5" as per SigM4. Fun and stun.

We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid." ~ Benjamin Franklin.

"If anyone in this country doesn't minimise their tax, they want their head read, because as a government, you are not spending it that well, that we should be donating extra...:
Kerry Packer

SIGForum: the island of reality in an ocean of diarrhoea.

Posts: 1886 | Location: Altona Beach | Registered: February 20, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of kimberkid
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Creeping_Death:
Not an AR10, but I have a HK51K that does an obnoxiously good job of producing fireballs and clearing the firing line at the range!

Technically mine was a PTR-91 pistol, but if I remember correctly it has the same barrel length as the 51 ... and yes, anyone on the firing line would stop and stare. With the HK21 stock it was still pretty comfortable to shoot and the HK21 cocking handle made charging it that much easier too.

Rather than SBR it, I put my registered sear in it to see how I'd like it before spending the extra $200 and engraving, turned out that after a few range trips I wasn't that impressed and it took up residence in the safe until deciding to use it to fund something else ... and put the stock on my HK52 (7.62x39 clone) which I do like & did SBR.

If you really want something you'll find a way ...
... if you don't you'll find an excuse.

I'm really not a "kid" anymore ... but I haven't grown up yet either Wink

Posts: 5700 | Registered: January 11, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bolt Thrower
Picture of Voshterkoff
posted Hide Post
I have always wanted a HK51k.

Posts: 9942 | Location: Woodinville, WA | Registered: March 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post