SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    I just have to have an Elcan Spectre DR
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

I just have to have an Elcan Spectre DR Login/Join 
Admin/Odd Duck

Picture of lbj
posted
Update: I ordered the black Spectre DR 1-4x.

Maybe because the Spectre DR 1-4x is made by Raytheon.
Maybe because Raytheon is such a bad ass trigger word like Halliburton is.

https://www.rtx.com/raytheon/w...elcan-specter-sights

Whatever the case, I just have to have one regardless of weight.

I wouldn't have variable setting for magnification but would have 1x to 4x at the flick of a lever.

Now, the question is which color for a black rifle, field dark earth or black.

I think the fde color might look good on a black rifle.
Yay or nay?

This message has been edited. Last edited by: lbj,

There is iron in my words of death for all to see.
So there is iron in my words of life.

Posts: 31433 | Registered: February 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Maybe because they're a great optic...

https://sigforum.com/eve/forum...935/m/5740041484/p/1

If the current shade of brown is anything like the preceding "generation", it's pretty dark.

The weight is no different than a LPVO with a mount. Just so long as we're talking about a LPVO and mount that is similarly rugged.

Posts: 2244 | Location: Northeast GA | Registered: February 15, 2021Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shall Not Be Infringed
Picture of nhracecraft
posted Hide Post
Black goes with Everything! Wink

If Some is Good, and More is Better.....then Too Much, is Just Enough !!
Trump 2024....Save America!
"May Almighty God bless the United States of America" - parabellum 7/26/20
Live Free or Die!

Posts: 9036 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: October 29, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Admin/Odd Duck

Picture of lbj
posted Hide Post
Some of the allure for me is the Spectre DR is fairly uncommon.

They are offering a 1.5-6x but that might be too much magnification for me as I'm not a sharpshooter.

If I were in the market for the 308 version, I might reconsider.

Admin/Odd Duck

Picture of lbj
posted Hide Post
Does anyone think it would look weird to have a dark earth Spectre DR on an AR15 that's black or is that verbotten.

Everything I own is black on black and I'm trying to figure out if dark earth looks OK on rifles that are black.

Time Wounds
All Heels.
Picture of Cope
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by lbj:
Does anyone think it would look weird to have a dark earth Spectre DR on an AR15 that's black or is that verbotten.

Everything I own is black on black and I'm trying to figure out if dark earth looks OK on rifles that are black.

Think about all the green or tan or even pink upper and lower assemblies that have been legally sold through vendors or individuals on this forum. I bet most have resulted with black barrels, stocks, grips, etc. What could a differing color scope hurt when considering the outline from a distance? I believe switching up color is merely a vague unintended effort at camo, and the only downside I see would be a potential future buyer disliking the color combination of your choice. If you like it, do it! You have worked hard and earned everything. Do what you like.

Much Respect.

----------------------------
Evolve. Revolve. Dissolve.

Posts: 1879 | Location: WNC | Registered: April 29, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by lbj:

Your rifle, your choice.
But I think a black rifle looks better with a black scope.

Posts: 7908 | Location: Colorado | Registered: January 26, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Since color is a top priority here, it's worth mentioning that the sights are anodized (current generation may be different). My "black" Specter is actually more of a slate color; a very dark gray/blue.

Posts: 2244 | Location: Northeast GA | Registered: February 15, 2021Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Admin/Odd Duck

Picture of lbj
posted Hide Post
Blackish slalte sounds cool.

I really tried to want the flat dark earth color, but after scouring the internet for pictures of the fde Spectres on rifles on the net, I just couldn't go fde.

One of my daughters will end up owning this scope far longer than I will will so I ordered one in black.

More light than heat
Picture of Milliron
posted Hide Post
I've always wanted one. Cool optic.

"Age does not bring wisdom. Often it merely changes simple stupidity into arrogant conceit. It's only advantage, so far as I have been able to see, is that it spans change. A young person sees the world as a still picture, immutable. An old person has had his nose rubbed in changes and more changes and still more changes so many times that that he knows it is a moving picture, forever changing. He may not like it--probably doesn't; I don't--but he knows it's so, and knowing is the first step in coping with it."

Robert Heinlein

Posts: 8813 | Location: West Chester, Ohio | Registered: April 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Admin/Odd Duck

Picture of lbj
posted Hide Post
Interesting that zeroing is not internal but external.
Zeroing is accomplished by moving the body of the Spectre DR scope up/down and side to side on the mount.

Where liberty dwells,
there is my country
Picture of Nick
posted Hide Post
I thought I wanted one until I used one. Now I know I MUST have one. The glass is even better than an ACOG. they are outstanding.

"Escaped the liberal Borg and living free"

Posts: 2227 | Location: North Carolina, USA | Registered: January 21, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Certified All Positions
Picture of arcwelder
posted Hide Post
I would love one. This is as close as I've gotten so far:

Surplus Canadian meant for the 240B, you can find them kicking around cheap. At some point I'll get a real new one, of some flavor because even a shitty old Elcan is pretty damn good.

Arc.
"You're a junkyard dog." - Lupe Flores. RIP

Posts: 27033 | Location: On fire, off the shoulder of Orion | Registered: June 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of arabiancowboy
posted Hide Post
I want the 1.5/6 and this thread isn’t helping!

Who has the best prices on an Elcan? I’m not seeing less than $2400.

Posts: 2414 | Registered: May 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted Hide Post
I've never used or even handled an ELCAN Spector but I have always been intrigued by them. They damn sure look like they were hammered out of an anvil in terms of how robust they appear and from everything I have read about them.

"Guns are tools. The only weapon ever created was man."

Posts: 7714 | Location: On the water | Registered: July 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Accomplice
posted Hide Post
Is it better to buy them used?

Roswell Crash - July, 1947, CIA Formed - Sept, 1947

Posts: 1950 | Registered: September 20, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Probably. My LGS ordered me my first one, when the distributors still carried them. The LGS later got on as a dealer direct with Armament Technology, which enabled me to get my second.

Prices on the newest generation are quite high, and I reckon there's only so many dealers, so not much motivation to be competitively priced. LGS also told me that Armament Technology leaves hardly any room for the dealer to make anything, while staying at a reasonable price point.

Getting a used second gen is probably the way to go.

Spread the Disease
Picture of flesheatingvirus
posted Hide Post
Black all the way. They are really nice; I just wasn’t a fan of the size.

-- Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past me I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain. --

Posts: 17356 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: October 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Accomplice:

Yes or a display model. It took me a few years to find mine and it was a display model so I got a great deal on it. People are always on about the weight and this and that but the rifle it’s on is extremely light so it’s a nothing burger to me. The clarity is second to none and being able to flip the lever is exactly like having 2 optics in one which is what I wanted. I want another one too.

What am I doing? I'm talking to an empty telephone

Posts: 12696 | Location: Down South | Registered: January 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
Always like them.
It's been a while since I looked through one but I remember it as something I wanted.
Never got around to it > because of price, size, magnification but going to have to revisit this.
I have got to have something this will ideally fit. Smile

Posts: 22985 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post