SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    MCX Spear Available Now
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

MCX Spear Available Now Login/Join 
Bent but not broken
Picture of maddy345
posted Hide Post
I was an early adopter of the MPX because of the promise of modularity with caliber conversions. I've yet to see any other calibers.

Fool me once.......

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

God bless the Motor Life Boat and the men & women that run them!

Posts: 3955 | Location: Just out of reach | Registered: August 06, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
That rug really tied
the room together.
Picture of bubbatime
posted Hide Post
I got an email today and they were selling HK 308 rifles for $3999. I'd much rather have that than this overpriced by three times Sig rifle. I hope they sell exactly 4 of them. Idiot pricing.

Posts: 6660 | Location: Floriduh | Registered: October 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of PGT
posted Hide Post
I'll wait for Gen III to be released in 6 months before buying

Posts: 3065 | Registered: December 21, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bubbatime:
Idiot pricing.
Yeah, I just cannot imagine what's going through their minds to pull this shit. I guess the "SIG sells everything it makes" mantra has gotten to them. SIG may sell everything they make, but that doesn't mean they don't end up selling some of it at a heavily discounted price. Perhaps this will end up at CDNN for $1299.

In the meantime, could someone please offer up an explanation as to why this thing is worth anywhere near 8000 bucks? Roll Eyes

"I am your retribution." - Donald Trump, speech at CPAC, March 4, 2023

Posts: 107254 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
When you fall, I will be there to catch you -With love, the floor
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bubbatime:
I got an email today and they were selling HK 308 rifles for $3999. I'd much rather have that than this overpriced by three times Sig rifle. I hope they sell exactly 4 of them. Idiot pricing.

Sig Spear 8K .. .with a suppressor.

H&K $3995..

Three timews????

Meanwhile, anyone that thinks that this will be a "high volume" item is crazy. It's and SBR that includes a suppressor. Two tax stamps and a 90 day wait at best.

Wonder if these same people laughed at the limited release of actual M17's a while back. Most were bought up by company employees and today they are worth four times the sale price or more.

Funny how people think that this will be a standard item mass produced.

quote:
FN M249S® PARA
Available for commercial and law enforcement.

MSRP: $10,499

Wonder how many FN sold?

Richard Scalzo
Epping, NH

http://www.bigeastakitarescue.net

Posts: 5803 | Location: Epping, NH | Registered: October 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Wonder how many FN sold

as far as I can tell everyone they made.

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 10966 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I wanna go home
Picture of jeeperxd
posted Hide Post
I thought I was crazy when I bought my 249S for $6200.00 but 8k is way more than I will spend.

Posts: 1199 | Location: Pa | Registered: December 16, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of blhar15
posted Hide Post
$8,000 for a rifle with new caliber that no one will be making ammo for a couple of years in any quantity. They include two boxes of ammo, so you can shoot it 40 times, then it is just a big club.

I think I will wait on the 7.62 NATO version

Posts: 33 | Location: Iowa | Registered: September 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Res ipsa loquitur
Picture of BB61
posted Hide Post
Ammo is only $4 a round.
https://www.sigsauer.com/accub...il&utm_source=Eloqua

Posts: 12434 | Registered: October 13, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
bigger government
= smaller citizen
Picture of Veeper
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Challer:
Only $8K. For that we should get the 308 barrel as well. Many of us will likely buy one. We probably have a year or two to save up knowing SIG

A year or two until what? Gen2? Until SIG gets bored and quietly puts the product out to pasture? SIG Spear SAS GEN4?

Sig is frustrating. Expensive and frustrating.

“The urge to save humanity is almost always only a false-face for the urge to rule it.”—H.L. Mencken

Posts: 9144 | Location: West Michigan | Registered: April 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Rebel Without a Clue
Picture of squad13
posted Hide Post
First production guns will be exact to what the military contract calls for and in a caliber nobody makes. All of this will be expensive, but to the select few SIG collectors who want this will buy it. I would assume the early few will make their way to gunbroker and sell for laughable prices.
Sig will then release a commercial variant that will not be exact military specs (non-nfa) and it a more affordable and popular caliber like .308 or 6.5. Just my two cents on this little SPEAR project.

Posts: 952 | Location: Ohio | Registered: August 14, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If the US Military doesn't pick this up as a result of the trials, it's not going anywhere. They do seem to want to implement the 6.8 mm projectile at least for some applications, but nothing is certain at this point.

And we know how often new rifle development projects result in the decision to stick with the AR platform.

If the 6.8 mm is not adopted in any significant capacity, then the .277 Fury will remain an expensive and uncommon round. They would be smart to develop a 6.5 mm version with the bi-metal case and higher chamber pressures to launch 6.5 mm slugs at higher speeds. The 6.8 mm is ballistically inferior, and civilians don't exactly need to penetrate Russia body armor at 800 meters or whatever the spec was that led to using a larger caliber but ballistically inferior slug vs. 6.5 mm.

About the only use for the Spear if the military angle goes nowhere is as a .308 MCX. That might have some appeal in comparison to the Scar 17s, HK MR762, and other .308 piston semi-autos. But NOT if it's going to rev every few years and then get dumped.

And then there's the 6mm ARC which fits current AR's with a bolt and barrel swap, and fires a heavier bullet with better trajectory and accuracy compared to 5.56. The military could just move to this round with existing rifles due to cost and part supply chain issues. Also, the cartridge is lighter and 25 rounds fit in a standard STANG magazine. It's the most logical thing to do, so that means it's probably not going to happen.

Posts: 4690 | Location: Indiana | Registered: December 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spread the Disease
Picture of flesheatingvirus
posted Hide Post
I threw up in my mouth when I saw that MSRP. Adding the ammo and the can don't even put it up that high IMHO.

That damn thing better come with a lightsaber bayonet.

-- Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past me I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain. --

Posts: 17244 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: October 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Lefty Sig:
If the 6.8 mm is not adopted in any significant capacity, then the .277 Fury will remain an expensive and uncommon round. They would be smart to develop a 6.5 mm version with the bi-metal case and higher chamber pressures to launch 6.5 mm slugs at higher speeds. The 6.8 mm is ballistically inferior

It is better to state that current 6.8mm bullets are ballistically inferior to current 6.5mm bullets. The larger 6.8 bore has the potential for bullets with higher BCs, however the more slippery 6.8s will be heavier and longer.

But there are balancing acts among bullet weight, powder charge, case size, action size, muzzle velocity, gun weight, and recoil. A 6.5mm bore may offer the least number of compromises. Or maybe a 6.8mm. Or maybe a 7mm. Or maybe a .257. But maybe not a 6mm or a .308 bore.

Posts: 7852 | Location: Colorado | Registered: January 26, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fritz:
It is better to state that current 6.8mm bullets are ballistically inferior to current 6.5mm bullets. The larger 6.8 bore has the potential for bullets with higher BCs, however the more slippery 6.8s will be heavier and longer.

But there are balancing acts among bullet weight, powder charge, case size, action size, muzzle velocity, gun weight, and recoil. A 6.5mm bore may offer the least number of compromises. Or maybe a 6.8mm. Or maybe a 7mm. Or maybe a .257. But maybe not a 6mm or a .308 bore.

Fair enough. The discussions I've seen about this say that 6.8 mm bullets of sufficient BC will have an OAL that exceeds 7.62 x 51 magazine size limits, reduces space in the case for powder, are heavier and thus slower with more drop to the trajectory. The 6.8 mm however in its current design does have the mass and retained energy to get through the Russian body armor at the specified distance, whereas a 6.5 mm that fits the magazine does not. BUT, with the special case and higher pressure, the 6.5 could go faster then it does in the Creedmore cartridge.

It seems more of an example of the military being somewhat arbitrary and operating in a vacuum. Why didn't they just give the performance and terminal ballistics requirements to the vendors and let them select the caliber (maybe 6.6 or 6.7 mm would have been best) instead of designing the slug and telling the vendors "make this go 3000 fps from a 16" barrel."

It took 80+ years of 30-06, .308, and 5.56, to get back to the .270 that Garand wanted in the first place!

Posts: 4690 | Location: Indiana | Registered: December 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of samnev
posted Hide Post
[QUOTE]Originally posted by parabellum:
The thing is an obscenity, and it's an insult to SIG's faithful.[/QUOTE

IT SURE IS FUGLY and only 8K

Posts: 1836 | Location: Arizona | Registered: June 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post