SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Barrel tuners - who uses them?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Barrel tuners - who uses them? Login/Join 
posted
Last year, I installed a barrel tuner on my F-TR rifle. With it, I tuned out my load to shoot in the twos at 100 yards; not too shabby for a 210gr long boat tail .308 caliber bullet from a 30-inch barrel.

It made a believer out of me. The one I used is the EC tuner, without the incorporated muzzle brake.

Anyone else using tuners? It's not just for handloaders.

Posts: 3398 | Location: Texas | Registered: June 20, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
Not me. Considering I have never heard of such a thing.
Off to Google and YouTube I go.

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!

Posts: 25352 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
They are in use a lot with the rimfire benchrest shooters. They do make a difference with rimfire, as you can't load your own ammo for what your rifle likes. But they still won't make ammo that shoots poorly shoot great. They only make ammo that shoots great shoot fantastic.

Never tied one on a centerfire rifle.

Posts: 12572 | Registered: January 17, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
Closest we've ever had was a Browning A-Bolt w/BOSS schnauble stock .243 my son had. And yeah adjusting / tuning it made a difference.

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16146 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Black92LX:

Erik Cortina..pro F shooter, and he builds and sells them and has plenty of videos on them

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11244 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wcb6092:
They are in use a lot with the rimfire benchrest shooters.

http://harrellsprec.com/index....l-rimfire-tuners-403

Harrell's are popular.

Posts: 15839 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MikeinNC:
quote:
Originally posted by Black92LX:

Erik Cortina..pro F shooter, and he builds and sells them and has plenty of videos on them

Yep. I got mine from Erik. I've known him for about 13-14 years. He comes to shoot at our club a lot. He explained his tuner to me at the Nationals last year and I bought one right away and got it installed shortly thereafter.

I saw Erik just two weeks ago at our monthly 1000 yard match.

Posts: 3398 | Location: Texas | Registered: June 20, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
I have been intrigued by tuners for some time, but I’m not sure how I would make use of one. All my centerfire rifles have muzzle devices that are more or less necessary for other reasons, and the rimfire that I’m most curious about whether its performance could be improved doesn’t have a threaded barrel.

Any experience with the slip-on rubber ring type?

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47364 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigfreund:
the rimfire that I’m most curious about whether its performance could be improved doesn’t have a threaded barrel.

Harrell's are popular at our club.

Posts: 15839 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Music's over turn
out the lights
Picture of David W
posted Hide Post
Tuners on competition.22 rifles are very common. I would shoot different lots of ammo to find the best shooter, order more of that lot then start to fine tune using the tuner.

David W.

Rather fail with honor than succeed by fraud. -Sophocles

Posts: 3636 | Location: Winston Salem, N.C. | Registered: May 30, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
oops double tap

https://www.chesterfieldarmament.com/

Posts: 10409 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
odd, thought I posted, then got an error message,

anyhoo,

I recall a few articles about them in Precision Shooting and The Accurate Rifle years ago,

seem to recall the Smallbore guys were all over them,

Browning's BOSS system is basically the same as well

https://www.chesterfieldarmament.com/

Posts: 10409 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of pantera1994
posted Hide Post
I've used them on precision rimfire rifles with some success. I mainly noticed a reduction in the occasional flyer. I've since begun experimenting with one on my PCP rifle.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: pantera1994,

Posts: 1306 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: August 24, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
More persistent
than capable
posted Hide Post
I have them on rim and centerfire BR guns.
Harrells on rimfire a pinchbolt mount, tunes the vertical out. Harrells on Turbos, Anschutz. Thinner barrels more tuneable, HB are stiffer. Ezzell tuners thread mount on 6ppc Stolle Panda and 30ppc Borden. Turn them less than a degree to affect the poi.

Lick the lollipop of mediocrity once and you suck forever.

Posts: 1083 | Location: North | Registered: August 27, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
I have been intrigued by tuners for some time, but I’m not sure how I would make use of one. All my centerfire rifles have muzzle devices that are more or less necessary for other reasons, and the rimfire that I’m most curious about whether its performance could be improved doesn’t have a threaded barrel.

Erik (and probably others) makes a tuner brake device.
https://erikcortina.com/shop/

As was stated earlier, a tuner will not magically transform a >1 MOA group size into a sun 0.5MOA shooter, but if you have a good load (factory or handload), a tuner will kick it up a notch. Erik told me it's the equivalent of playing with seating depth as a final adjustment. I would think that if you have a good factory load, this would be the only mechanical way (ie, not human influenced) to improve the precision of the rifle system.

Picture of Sweet Chuckie
posted Hide Post
quote:

If your front sight isn't permanently attached, the Harrell's tuner is machined to clamp on the last inch of the barrel. You'll have to mike an inch in, and they cut the dimension needed in the tuner.

Regarding slip-on rubber, I made a thingy from an air hose stop clamp. You can get different I.D. sizes, and can easily switch to different guns. By incrementally re-positioning, you can easily see group changes, plus they're pretty reasonably priced.

Both work by tuning the bullet's exit from the muzzle, and both can make a great difference. But as stated elsewhere, you'll have to have a good barrel, along with good, consistent ammo. It's also more difficult to make a great difference on thick, short barrels.

Posts: 250 | Location: White Sulphur Springs, MT | Registered: December 30, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Caught in a loop
posted Hide Post
I bought a Harrell's tuner brake to experiment on my 6.5 Creedmoor. Turns out my barrel was too thick and as a result I would lose more than half of the adjustment if I screwed it all the way down. Instead of getting the barrel turned down I just tossed a regular (albeit beefy) brake back on it and called it good.

A buddy uses one on his 6.5x47 Lapua, but not on any of his other rifles. I believe his exact words were, "I think I'm done with brakes until I break down and build a dedicated competition rifle." (He shoots F Class [F-PR] and PRS, though that's probably coming to a grinding halt due to his new daughter and the cost of components right now.)

"In order to understand recursion, you must first learn the principle of recursion."

Posts: 3348 | Location: Memphis, TN | Registered: August 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
half-genius,
half-wit
posted Hide Post
I have a Harrell tuner on my Anschutz Model 1409 prone rifle. See - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ddXPYYh1yuw

I have two settings on it - one for Eley Match and the other for RWS R50.

There IS a difference at 50m, the longest distance at which I shoot it.

Posts: 11305 | Location: UK, OR, ONT | Registered: July 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
fugitive from reality
Picture of SgtGold
posted Hide Post
I have an adaptive tuning system tuner on a Bergara B-14R. TAt 100 yards the best groups I was getting with ammo the rifle liked were 1.25". After tuning I'm getting .5" groups.

Another benifit of the tuner is it exposes your ammo for what it really is. At 100 yards the Wolf MT wasn't showing any flyers. The ED rounds were hitting on the edge of the group, so it looked good. Once the ammo is tuned, the rounds that on the ED edge start showing up as fliers.

Posts: 7069 | Location: Newyorkistan | Registered: March 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post