SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    School me on NEW MPX
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

School me on NEW MPX Login/Join 
posted
I recently bought a brand new MPX. This is the latest generation pistol.

I plan to SBR it and want to make it a little bit longer. Anyone else gone through this?

For owners. Tell me about them. Thanks.

NRA Training Counselor
NRA Benefactor Member

Posts: 2505 | Location: FL | Registered: May 07, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I had the carbine and went the opposite direction down to an sbr.

From this

To this

So, for a longer barrel, I suggest going straight to In lead we trust and buying (whatever gen you have) MPX barrel and gas block combo. For the handguard, that is up to you, in the photos I have the factory keymod and lancer m-lock.

I have my original cut-down Sig MPX gen 2 barrel and gas block combo that I keep as a spare. Other than that, I really like this gun.

Here is the massive 136 page primer on the MPX

https://sigforum.com/eve/forum...0601935/m/4610068653

Posts: 6633 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Web Clavin Extraordinaire
Picture of Oat_Action_Man
posted Hide Post
Can't really help with lengthening the barrel. I got mine as an 8" pistol and SBRed it from there. Perfect barrel length as is.

When they eventually come in stock, I'm going to upgrade the factory keymod handguards to Midwest's Mloks in a longer length to ride over a suppressor.

It's been a flawless gun, despite having a shitty trigger, which I think they've dramatically improved in the newer guns.

----------------------------

Chuck Norris put the laughter in "manslaughter"

Educating the youth of America, one declension at a time.

Posts: 19837 | Location: SE PA | Registered: January 12, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm unclear on the 'schooling' part. When I got mine I decided the barrel was too short. I bought a factory barrel in the length I wanted, added hand-guards that worked and all is well.
I was lucky to easily find the factory length i needed and if I couldn't I would do as DSgrouse says and just order from ILWT.

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 10966 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by hrcjon:
I'm unclear on the 'schooling' part. When I got mine I decided the barrel was too short. I bought a factory barrel in the length I wanted, added hand-guards that worked and all is well.
I was lucky to easily find the factory length i needed and if I couldn't I would do as DSgrouse says and just order from ILWT.

It’s a new firearm to me. Does it not like specific ammo, do firing pins break, how have owners seen it function over time?

NRA Training Counselor
NRA Benefactor Member

Posts: 2505 | Location: FL | Registered: May 07, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Web Clavin Extraordinaire
Picture of Oat_Action_Man
posted Hide Post
Mine works with all sorts of ammo I've put through it, but most of it is 124gr JHP handloads that are pretty downloaded. I won't say I've run a vast array of loads through it, but they've all worked fine. Definitely no parts breakage on mine. Function has been 100% since I've had it (6+ years), handloads or factory.

----------------------------

Chuck Norris put the laughter in "manslaughter"

Educating the youth of America, one declension at a time.

Posts: 19837 | Location: SE PA | Registered: January 12, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My carbine hand the old bolt assembly that has been replaced. Sig sent me a new assembly. Now though they ask that you send the whole gun in. THey replace it for you. That is the only thing for me. It chewed through a couple of firing pins.

I order my parts from ILWT. Pick up one of his repair kits if you are worried about it. I have spare parts for almost all my weapons. so, for me it wasn't a big deal.

I have not had to replace anything else on mine. I chose to replace the barrel to one of his, and have not regretted it. I think his barrels are significantly more accurate when you get out past 100 yards.

As for ammo, mine has no issues with factory ammo that is in good quality. I had a run of geco 115, that was way out of spec a couple of years ago, raging from 700 fps to 1100. The failures from that are not the guns fault.

It will even run that silly sticky federal syntech, that will not run in my Kriss, ptr 9kt, or BNT ghm45.

Lead ammo, brass, steel cased, it doesn't care it does a good job running it all

As for the issue of the charging handle blowing gass in the face, eh, with a long version of my can on that can happen. With the short it isn't much of an issue. Though, I now have the ILWT gasblock and barrel on it.

People bitch about the trigger, OH god no a mill spec trigger! Woe is me. It's fine, I see no reason to change it.

Posts: 6633 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Which handguard do you all recommend if I want it to fit over a suppressor. More than likely an omega9.

NRA Training Counselor
NRA Benefactor Member

posted Hide Post
I haven't had any difficulty with any factory ammo. I haven't broken any factory parts. I have broken 3 or 4 3rd party triggers.

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 10966 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DSgrouse:
I had the carbine and went the opposite direction down to an sbr.

From this

To this

So, for a longer barrel, I suggest going straight to In lead we trust and buying (whatever gen you have) MPX barrel and gas block combo. For the handguard, that is up to you, in the photos I have the factory keymod and lancer m-lock.

I have my original cut-down Sig MPX gen 2 barrel and gas block combo that I keep as a spare. Other than that, I really like this gun.

Here is the massive 136 page primer on the MPX

https://sigforum.com/eve/forum...0601935/m/4610068653

Wow, those guns are impressive. I've never shot anything like that, I've only shot a Sig pistol. The want is real!

Posts: 8 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: September 14, 2021Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I am going to file my form 1 tomorrow. I think I need a three lug for my omega9.

Other suggested upgrades?

NRA Training Counselor
NRA Benefactor Member