SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Marlin .45-70 Trapper
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Marlin .45-70 Trapper Login/Join 
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted
I don't need it, can't afford to shoot it at two dollars a round, but, damn it's neat. The sound of cycling is seductive.

Posts: 108937 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted Hide Post
I had a 45-70 lever action. Think it had an octagon 20" barrel. Hated it. Worst gun to shoot I have ever owned. Kicked like a mule. Actually hurt to shoot it.
I have larger caliber rifles so recoil is not an issue for me. But that mother was horrible to shoot. Maybe it just was not a good fit for some reason. I have a 44mag lever gun and it is a pleasure to shoot.

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19674 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Prepared for the Worst, Providing the Best
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
That things is sweet. I have an 1895 Guide Gun...2" more barrel than that Trapper, but shorter mag tube. It's great fun to shoot, provided you use the right load.

The .45-70 is definitely a handloader's cartridge these days. Factory ammo is insanely expensive, and most of it is pretty stout. The cool thing about the cartridge, tough, is you can load it from mild "trapodoor" levels all the way up to insane elephant-stopper rounds. I load most of mine to right at the top of the "trapdoor" range, and it's actually pretty pleasant to shoot. I have some hot stuff worked up in case I ever need it, too...which in Indiana is unlikely. I have a local buddy who owned a .458 Win Mag at one point, and he told me that his little town was safe from elephants the entire time that he owned it...never saw a single one Big Grin!

I cast my own, and while a 405gr pill uses a lot of lead, it's otherwise not all that expensive to load for once you have the brass. And the brass, being straight-wall, lasts a long time.

Posts: 9167 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have a 99 vintage stainless guide gun with the factory ports. It’s strait Stock wish it was pistol gripped. Found it used for a song. Previous owner paid good money to have a scout mount added and a leupold 1-5 on it with quick detach rings and some DRC iron sights front and rear. If anything ever escape the local zoo I’m ready. Factory powderpuff stuff all the way to Garrett hardcast. I suppose I could go after wild hogs down here in FL with it.

Posts: 4943 | Location: Florida Panhandle  | Registered: November 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
First thing I did with my Guide Gun 20+ years ago, after shooting it once to make sure it functioned, was send it off to be cut to 16" Then I thinned out the forend and chopped a little off the back end as well. So much easier now to just buy one and with a full length mag tube.

A DRC lever and sights and rails and scout scopes all followed later.

I hunted with it a bit, but stopped after having success with it a couple times. Going instead with things I haven't. For me, about the worst thing that can happen with a new hunting rifle is I actually shoot something with it.

It would be a great handy every day rifle to always have around... if I were living different life.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: cas,

Posts: 21325 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
Cowboy or handloads make the 45-70 a pussycat to shoot.

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11439 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Stupid
Allergy
Picture of dry-fly
posted Hide Post
Love my 1895. I’d kinda like to have the receiver color case hardened.

"Attack life, it's going to kill you anyway." Steve McQueen...

Posts: 7057 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: July 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member!
posted Hide Post
I've got the original model 45/70 1895G model with the 20 inch ported barrel. Came with a straight stock and 5 round magazine tube. I purchased a mag tube for a 1895 cowboy model and cut the mag tube to match the barrel length. Then I hand cut a new under barrel dovetail for the magazine end stud. Finally I thinned the heck out of the original fat fore end and cut the long stock to fit my short length of pull needs. Also added rear receiver peep sight. With the 18 inch barrel, it is 35" in length, which is only 1/2 inches longer than the Trapper model with the 16 inch barrel and holds 7 in the mag tube.

Posts: 4365 | Location: Boise, ID USA | Registered: February 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Step by step walk the thousand mile road
Picture of Sig2340
posted Hide Post
I’ve owned two 1895s, a Guide Gun and the full length rifle.

As others note, factory ammo is ex-pen-sive. I hand loaded mine, using 33 grains of IMR 4198 to push a 400 grain cast lead bullet, for a cost of about $0.80 per round.

Issues I hard were, in order:

Cons:

• Recoil, even with reloads, was stout. Made my .35 Whelen seem tame.

• Loudest rifles I’ve ever owned, the Guide Gun especially. Even doubled ear protection was barely adequate.

• Accuracy was meh. At 100 yards, even factory ammo was 3-5 MOA from a rest. Ghost ring sights for them are a waste of money.

Pros

• Perfect gun for small tyrannosaurses.

• Draws everyone’s’ attention ire when shooting it indoors (see Cons, about noise).

• Fewer people want to shoot it.

Nice is overrated

"It's every freedom-loving individual's duty to lie to the government."
Airsoftguy, June 29, 2018

Posts: 31962 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: May 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have a Marlin 1895 LTD IV 24" Full octagon barrel with a straight grip walnut stock and love it.

Posts: 1130 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 20, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have a Chiappa 1886 thats abeautiful gun , but has the curved brass butt plate. about 10 shots and i am done. I would love to trade it for a Guide gun......

Sig 556
Sig M400
P226 Tacops
P229 Legion
P320 X compact

Posts: 467 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: January 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Prepared for the Worst, Providing the Best
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by kyoung:
I have a Chiappa 1886 thats abeautiful gun , but has the curved brass butt plate. about 10 shots and i am done. I would love to trade it for a Guide gun......

My guide gun has a factory rubber butt pad. The day I bought it I picked up a box of 20 of 325gr Hornady Leverevolution so I could shoot it on the way home. I got through 12 rounds before I was done, lol.

It is quite a bit easier on the shoulder from a standing position than it is prone or off a bench.

Posts: 9167 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sourdough44
posted Hide Post
I have a shorter barreled, 18.6” Henry, then an older ‘Trapdoor’. Yes, 45-70 loads can vary a lot, from low pressure for the older trapdoor to almost unshootable in a modern, lightweight, stronger firearm.

Many reloading manuals list 3 power levels of reloads. One can even drop down to powder puff loads with powders like IMR-4227. While low power, still plenty for ‘home defense’.

If not a reloader, seems a 357/38 spcl would be a little easier, with factory ammo.

Posts: 6377 | Location: WI | Registered: February 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Edge seeking
Sharp blade!
posted Hide Post
A similar power level 458 in a light semi auto is 458 SOCOM in an AR-15.

I friend gave me a Magna Ported JD Jones 45-70 Contender barrel. I scoped it, but it wouldn't work on my early frame, so maybe mercifully, I've never shot it.

Posts: 7626 | Location: Over the hills and far away | Registered: January 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Wait, what?
Picture of gearhounds
posted Hide Post
This is my custom 1895. It started out as a Broker buy of standard Remlin Guide gun with some nice add ons (Leupold scout scope, XS sight rail) for a song. Unfortunately, it had a severely canted front sight. Had the barrel cut down to 14.5” and the attached muzzle brake welded to the legal length. Action slicked up and a duracoat black matte finish. Eventually I’d like to get enough nerve to sand out the awful Remington checkering and stain in ebony or maybe bed liner.

“Remember to get vaccinated or a vaccinated person might get sick from a virus they got vaccinated against because you’re not vaccinated.” - author unknown

Posts: 15780 | Location: Martinsburg WV | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member!
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sig2340:

• Accuracy was meh. At 100 yards, even factory ammo was 3-5 MOA from a rest. Ghost ring sights for them are a waste of money.

• Did you ever bore check the 45/70 barrel? Marlins are known to often have pinch restrictions at the front of the barrel where the dovetail is punched for the magazine tube stud. Mine was a 4.5 inch gun at 100 before I hand and fire lapped the constriction out. It then dropped to a 1.5" 100 yard gun with 405gn gas-checked hard-cast on a lot of Reloader #7. It could probably have done better, but I start flinching after a few shots when shooting from the bench...

Posts: 4365 | Location: Boise, ID USA | Registered: February 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Res ipsa loquitur
    Picture of BB61
    posted Hide Post
    I have a Marlin SBL in 45-70 that I had Ranger Point Precision (the Langdon Tactical for Marlins) customize. I don't shoot it a lot because of cost but is very fun to shoot and easy to handle. I have it accessible when we go camping.

I have +P bear loads for when we are camping. The recoil with these loads is impressive. To tame it, I have a slip on recoil pad. https://www.amazon.com/Allen-R...471055-7540746?psc=1

Yes. I'm a wimp. I double pad the SBL when shooting +P loads. It's a light gun and my shoulder notices it.

Posts: 12571 | Registered: October 13, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    "Member"
    Picture of cas
    posted Hide Post
    Mine shoots better than most of the bolt actions and all the single shots I own. (As well as all the other lever actions)

Posts: 21325 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Picture of Expert308
    posted Hide Post
    I have a 26" octogon-barreled Winchester/Miroku 1886, and it's a thumper to shoot. Fun, but your shoulder definitely knows it's been smacked. A lightweight trapper is something I think I'd pass on, thanks anyway. Big Grin

ETA: A good friend of mine concurs. He has or used to have a trapper-length .45-70 at his FIL's place in the mountains and after getting it sighted in, said he would only shoot it again in self defense (they do occasionally see black bears and cougars in the area).

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Expert308,

Posts: 7387 | Location: Idaho | Registered: February 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    non ducor, duco
    Picture of Nickelsig229
    posted Hide Post
    Ever since Ruger bought the rights to Marlin and started manufacturing the 1895 SBL I have been wanting one. The Remington years weren't that great to Marlin and It's great to see Ruger put them back into the forefront.

The cost of the rifle and ammo is for sure a deterrent but one of these income tax returns I'll pull the trigger.

First In Last Out

Posts: 4851 | Location: CT | Registered: October 15, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post