SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Tips for shooting a rifle from non-suppoted positions
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Tips for shooting a rifle from non-suppoted positions Login/Join 
Prepared for the Worst, Providing the Best
Picture of 92fstech
posted
I'm more of a handgun guy, but I've recently been looking to expand my rifle shooting skillset a bit. I'm not going to win any competitions with a rifle, but I can hit what I'm aiming at and produce decent groups from the prone or off a bench. I've come to the realziation that I'm quite bad from any other position, though. Standing, sitting, kneeling...they're all pretty rough. I can qualify just fine, but I'm not where I want to be. For reference, most of this is with an AR equipped with a Blue Fore Gear sling, and I've also been playing with my Garands W/ GI web slings quite a bit lately.

The problem is that I shake and sway. The gun moves a lot. Standing, a hasty sling helps to stabilize me a bit, but it's not perfect. None of the instructors I've had have really been able to give me any input beyond that. I've tried watching videos on sling techniques, but that isn't really helping. I'm not sure if it's the techniques or if I'm just not employing them properly.

Do any of you have suggestions for good stance or sling techniques that can help stabilize my shooting from standing/sitting/kneeling to produce better consistency and controllability?

Posts: 8385 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Any AR/HighPower matches near you? If so, contact the match director and ask for some recommendation for help, range time with a competitor. Most match directors are more then willing to help.

Posts: 3197 | Location: 9860 ft above sea level Colorado | Registered: December 31, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
We do have high-power at my club. I've never gone but I do know a couple of the guys. Maybe I need to just show up some day and hope they take pity on me.

Posts: 8385 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Go to the next match! You’ll get your butt kicked, so what! Match directors know who’s willing to help a new guy. Also simply good to watch the best shooters.

First LR match I shot several years ago I introduced myself to the MD. He introduced me to who I was going to squad with. Lots of guidance. There will be guys like him at your club. Now that same MD has new guys squad with me.

Posts: 3197 | Location: 9860 ft above sea level Colorado | Registered: December 31, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Proper use of the old M1907 leather sling on a rifle does wonders for position shooting, and is pretty easy to get used to.

Posts: 3266 | Location: Finally free in AZ! | Registered: February 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sourdough44
posted Hide Post
Just some methods I use while hunting. Most of the time while ‘still hunting’, I stop by a tree. That is a tree one can rest against rather than a pure offhand shot.

I was just at the camp property, mostly working but also a little pest control. The rest is what’s available. One other option I’ve used is shooting sticks in more open areas. I can get more stable compared to just sitting then resting on a knee.

For most of it, if it’s not a higher % setup, it’s better to wait for a close, higher % shot. That of course is less of a concern with a true varmint.

Posts: 6128 | Location: WI | Registered: February 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
Oh yeah, I've definitely done that. Using a tree or going prone in the field and resting the gun on a log or branch definitely helps, and I'm definitely not above cheating if conditions allow and I can get away with it, lol! But I'm talking about shooting positions for qualification or competition where you're not allowed to do that, and have to shoot unsupported.

posted Hide Post
Capt 127 is right, a lot can be said for a good sling!

https://www.trngcmd.marines.mi...d%20Slings%20RCO.doc

https://www.thetruthaboutguns....ing-to-shoot-better/

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=AaDNmEhs8h4

“What the government is good at is collecting taxes, taking away your freedoms and killing people. It’s not good at much else.” —Author Tom Clancy

Posts: 8313 | Location: Attempting to keep the noise down around Midway Airport | Registered: February 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
Thanks CPD...that's along the lines of what I was looking for. I'd like to get some practice under my belt before showing up to a match so maybe I won't look like a complete idiot Big Grin.

posted Hide Post
The obvious reply is the same as pistol practice..... Dry Fire.

Yes, I'd say the same thing, get a seasoned shooter to teach you the basics. Then grab a LR Rifle with bipod, some support bags and ..... Get out of the Prone!!!

Typical practice round for me was 10-15 or so rounds to verify zero and verify velocity. Then 10-15 rounds at 600-1000yds to verify dope/velocity. Then spend 1-2 hrs with non-prone positional work all while dry firing. Practicing getting into position quickly.

The more you do it, the more natural it will feel and look. Remember, smooth is fast.

Andrew

Duty is the sublimest word in the English Language - Gen Robert E Lee.

Posts: 861 | Registered: May 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of xl_target
posted Hide Post
Another option would be to attend an Appleseed class near you.
More info at appleseedinfo.org
Along with the basics, like breath control, they will teach you how to use a rifle sling properly in the prone, sitting and standing positions.

Posts: 2322 | Registered: January 15, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My two days at a local Appleseed was time well spent. I really should get back one of these days.

Posts: 3040 | Location: Pnw | Registered: March 21, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
Tell me a little about appleseed. It looks like they have an even at a range not too far from here over 2 days in October. I looked over their FAQ, but it's pretty basic. It looks like something that would be fun to do with my 13 year-old son. We have scoped bolt-action .22s, lever-actions in a variety of calibers, ARs with red dots and irons, and two Garands...their FAQ doesn't really indicate which would be best to use. It sounds like we'd need 350 rounds apiece, which is painful these days, but do-able. Am I reading that right?

Picture of trebor44
posted Hide Post
Learn to use the 'moving sight picture', anticipate when it will be on target as it moves. It's not a rest!

--------------------------------

On the inside looking out, but not to the west, it's the PRK and its minions!

Posts: 624 | Location: Idaho, west of Beaver Dicks Ferry | Registered: August 22, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
What Trbore44 said is very helpful. Move into the target slowly. Good trigger obviously is a must.

Posts: 383 | Location: NE Kansas | Registered: March 28, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Made from a
different mold
Picture of mutedblade
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 92fstech:
Tell me a little about appleseed.

The shoot is best done with 10/22's equipped with the GI Sling and Tech Sights or a 22LR AR variant like an M&P 22 with the same sling. It's a great history lesson and they'll teach you rifle fundamentals that will help you. Get in contact with whomever is doing the match in Oct. and ask if there are any loaner rifles....if not, a bolt action is just fine as long as you have at least two 10 round mags for each rifle. I'd be more than happy to lend you everything you need for 2 shooters if you're close to Virginia but based on your location in your profile, I'm guessing you're in the Midwest...

Posts: 2824 | Location: Lake Anna, VA | Registered: May 07, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
Thanks, but you're correct...I'm in Indiana. Guns I've got, it's just more of a question as to which would be the most appropriate. I take it the tech sights are desirable because they have you dialing in for different ranges?

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 92fstech:
Tell me a little about appleseed. It looks like they have an even at a range not too far from here over 2 days in October. I looked over their FAQ, but it's pretty basic. It looks like something that would be fun to do with my 13 year-old son. We have scoped bolt-action .22s, lever-actions in a variety of calibers, ARs with red dots and irons, and two Garands...their FAQ doesn't really indicate which would be best to use. It sounds like we'd need 350 rounds apiece, which is painful these days, but do-able. Am I reading that right?

Appleseed will be great fun for you and your son. Good friend, fellow competitor teaches Appleseed classes. His philosophy and mine for either a class or first match, bring what you got! Of what you listed, the scoped 22 bolt action 22's will be fine. Classes are not about having the perfect gear, you and your son will learn plenty with what you got. Have fun!

Picture of xl_target
posted Hide Post
Attending an Appleseed event with your son would make an unforgettable memory for him.
It depends on the range but most of them will run a reduced distance (like 25 yards).
To simulate shooting at distance, the targets are reduced in size.
This allows using a .22LR rifle.

Bring what you got.
The bolt action .22 will be fine.
A semiauto .22 rifle would be better.
You should have at least a couple of 10 round magazines, a shooting mat and a GI sling.

Other desirable equipment; a hat that shades the back of your neck, sunscreen, elbow pads.

The most important thing is to go in there with an open mind and try to implement what they teach. You'll be surprised at some of the old curmudgeons who "know better" and then get pissed off when the kids outshoot them.

I had an eight year old girl beside me and by the end of the first day she was faster and more consistent (from the prone position) than most of the adults. By the second day, she outshot most everyone. She didn't make Rifleman because she couldn't hold the rifle up while standing.

Posts: 2322 | Registered: January 15, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
listen to offgrid,

my first Service Rifle match (high power) I was an observer for the first relay,
shot the second,

fortunately for my ego, I did not shoot the worst score,
unfortunately that caused my head to swell and I shot worse the next match,

and went up from there,

meaning shooting matches, like shooting from position is part fundamentals and part mental,

if you have a moment, there are a few Service Rifle vids on utube (Konrad is one guy that does some) and I highly recommend Jim Owens set of books,

jarheadtop.com is his website IIRC, and you would want to one on leather sling and shooting positions,

https://jarheadtop.com/jim_owens_books.html

https://www.chesterfieldarmament.com/

Posts: 10407 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post