SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    What true fully ambidextrous AR15 lowers are there? List updated in first post
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What true fully ambidextrous AR15 lowers are there? List updated in first post Login/Join 
posted
I can think of LMT MARS, LWRC, and newer KAC SR15. This thread has so far revealed the ADM UIC, POF P15 Gen4, PWS MK1 MOD2-M, and Griffin MK2 as well.

The Radian deserves a mention, but it's controls aren't truly "mirrored", in that the right side bolt catch doesn't have exactly the same functionality as the left. The magazine must be absent to lock the bolt to the rear.

The Dirty Bird MCF-A shouldn't be ignored either. It seems to perform even more conventionally than the Radian, but with a unique device that almost inspires more questions than answers.

For the purpose of this thread, by fully ambi, I mean right side bolt release and catch.

I see much more utility in a right side bolt catch than I do in a release. My left hand is already near-enough to the left side paddle, when I am inserting a mag, that it's easy enough to use it to send the bolt home. In the context of malfunction clearance, that right side bolt catch is what really saves you from having to do some more awkward manipulations.

I'll clarify that I am considering all this from the perspective of a right handed shooter. Also, I am not shopping for one; nor do I necessarily even think they are worth what the proper ones cost. I have a MARS-L lower; it is very nice. However, I have yet to SBR it, so it sees little use. My other lowers have ambi safeties and Norgon-style mag catches, but that right-side bolt catch is really the most important thing, IMO.

In most circumstances, I don't think any of us experience malfunctions enough to really make that functionality worth the money. I am posing this question after a training event that utilized blanks, and had me and others doing malfunction clearances at a higher rate.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: KSGM,

Posts: 2158 | Location: Northeast GA | Registered: February 15, 2021Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
https://sonsoflibertygw.com/product/fcd-ambi-lr/

Sons of Liberty did a colab with Forward Control Designs.

Posts: 5419 | Location: Pittsburgh, PA, USA | Registered: February 27, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Except it doesn't have a right side bolt catch. There are plenty of offerings with right side bolt releases; not bolt catches.

Posts: 2158 | Location: Northeast GA | Registered: February 15, 2021Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 1KPerDay
posted Hide Post
Probably doesn't count but
https://www.sigsauer.com/mcx-s...t-5-56-16-rifle.html

---------------------------
My hovercraft is full of eels.

Posts: 3213 | Registered: February 27, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of powermad
posted Hide Post
ADM has them, $420 for a stripped lower.

Posts: 1480 | Location: Portland Oregon | Registered: October 01, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigless in
Indiana
Picture of IndianaBoy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by KSGM:
Except it doesn't have a right side bolt catch. There are plenty of offerings with right side bolt releases; not bolt catches.

The once lauded but frequently maligned Magpul BAD Lever works and works well.

Posts: 14124 | Location: Indiana | Registered: December 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The ADM is indeed truly 100% ambi. Looks like the best buy of the bunch too.

I hear ya, on the BAD. I have had one in the past.

Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
In the same vein as the BAD lever, which I have and have used for a long time, Phase 5 makes an integrated version I've been thinking about trying.

https://phase5wsi.com/extended...elease-v3-ebrv3.html

Posts: 17156 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Love the Phase 5

Posts: 1900 | Location: East Tennessee | Registered: October 25, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I swear I had
something for this
posted Hide Post
Not sure if it's sold separately but POF has a billet lower that does all of that.

The ambi bolt hold is in the trigger guard where you pull the charging handle back and press the tab upwards to lock. There's no chance for you to set off a round because your other hand has captured the bolt.

Posts: 4182 | Location: Kansas City, MO | Registered: May 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
You can get that POF lower all by itself, and it is certainly 100% ambidextrous; cool. Halfway between the ADM and LMT, price-wise.

I will say that I prefer the more "mil-spec" look of the options from LMT and KAC, but they come with that pesky price tag. Also, I don't think the KAC (and LWRC) ones can really be had outside of a complete rifle.

It'd be interesting to interact with the ADM, POF, and LMT side by side, to see which method of bolt catch engagement feels most natural.

I appreciate the feedback.

posted Hide Post
I think Radian came up with a clever idea and efficient design for their ambidextrous ADAC lower. The right-side magazine release also pushes up the bolt catch-so as you drop the mag and pull back the charging handle, you can also lock your bolt.

https://www.radianweapons.com/...ivers/lower-receiver

Posts: 94 | Registered: November 07, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
That Radian is darn close. Neat idea.

I understand that, in most bad malfunction scenarios, you're getting rid of the mag. However, in the recent context of training with blanks, I wanted to reuse that mag. The problem was the ammo and/or BFA; not the mag. That being said, the Radian doesn't allow you to lock the bolt back with the mags still inserted, which would be advantageous if I want to reuse the same mag.

Though I could remove it, and work the charging handle with the hand I am holding the mag with. That's exercising the dexterity a bit though.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: KSGM,

Music's over turn
out the lights
Picture of David W
posted Hide Post
Imo the best on the market is the LMT Mars-L. I agree with a poster above about looks, I like plain Jane lowers, I don’t care for most of the billets made at the moment.

David W.

Rather fail with honor than succeed by fraud. -Sophocles

Posts: 3643 | Location: Winston Salem, N.C. | Registered: May 30, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If the catch is of specific concern I've seen most lefties use their index finger on the standard left sided control. The release is where the PITA is. Most insert and roll their fingers up or roll the rifle and hammer the release. I may not be describing that well.

Posts: 3044 | Location: Pnw | Registered: March 21, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
This thread has been about the benefit of mirrored controls to everyone, in general; not just lefties.

Spread the Disease
Picture of flesheatingvirus
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by moelepo:
I think Radian came up with a clever idea and efficient design for their ambidextrous ADAC lower. The right-side magazine release also pushes up the bolt catch-so as you drop the mag and pull back the charging handle, you can also lock your bolt.

https://www.radianweapons.com/...ivers/lower-receiver

Their SBR is SEXY. Pricey, but sexy.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: flesheatingvirus,

-- Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past me I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain. --

Posts: 17278 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: October 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Being lefthanded I found the Forward Controls Design ABC/R v3 augmented bolt catch/release serrated & rearward biased the best design.

Posts: 118 | Location: RI | Registered: January 05, 2022Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Griffin Armament MK2

Posts: 10055 | Registered: October 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The griffin MK2 looks to be the cheapest as well.