SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Billy Bob's BangBang Boutique    Does Anyone Actually Buy Tulammo or Wolf?
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Does Anyone Actually Buy Tulammo or Wolf? Login/Join 
Just for the
hell of it
Picture of comet24
posted Hide Post
I've shot 9mm and 5.56 wolf without any noticeable issues. There was a time when ammo was hard to come by. Wolf and Tula were one of the options when you needed something to shot and train with.

Because in the end, you won’t remember the time you spent working in the office or mowing your lawn. Climb that goddamn mountain. Jack Kerouac

Posts: 16374 | Registered: March 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The few steel cased rounds I have spent worked just fine in 9mm and 5.56x45. Still brass or nickel plated brass has not harmed the magazines, extractors or ejectors because the brass is soft. I haven't broken anything with the steel cased ammo.

Posts: 65 | Registered: September 17, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
fugitive from reality
Picture of SgtGold
posted Hide Post
I've used both the lacquer and polymer .5.56 ammo with no issues. I've used Wolf in 45 ACP, and 9 MM. I'm currently running through about 2k of WPA 9 MM with no issues in anything I've shot it through. The only issue I had was out of a brand new G23 running a 9 MM convesion barrel. The new recoil spring needed about 200 rounds of full power FMJ before the gun would run on anything steel cased.

Posts: 7069 | Location: Newyorkistan | Registered: March 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I run steel case through my POF rifles, that's what they use at their full auto shoots by the pallet.

Posts: 363 | Registered: January 07, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I use it in my Stemple SMG.

They actually recommend steel case ammo, and Tulammo is their go to.

Posts: 1514 | Location: Ypsilanti, MI | Registered: August 03, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dmurray:
The few steel cased rounds I have spent worked just fine in 9mm and 5.56x45. Still brass or nickel plated brass has not harmed the magazines, extractors or ejectors because the brass is soft. I haven't broken anything with the steel cased ammo.

The mild ("soft") steel used in steel cases has a similar hardness to brass. It is significantly softer than the harder steel used in extractors/ejectors/slides/bolts/etc.

You won't break parts in your gun by using steel cased ammo. That's more internet urban legend BS. Not all steel is created equal; there's a wide variety of steel formulations with different properties for different purposes.

Posts: 32398 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
Interestingly, Mike Pannone has been putting out a lot of material where he is shooting steel case Rooskie ammo through his 2011 without any issues at all. I think he’s above 8k so far with zero issues.

www.opspectraining.com

"It's a bold strategy, Cotton. Let's see if it works out for them"

Posts: 37071 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
Pannone just broke 11k in his social media postings.

www.opspectraining.com

"It's a bold strategy, Cotton. Let's see if it works out for them"

Posts: 37071 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I 've shot a lot of both brands. Tulamo .380 is only good for malfunction drills. I had some Tulamo .223 55gr HPs and none of my ARs would cycle it. Every brand of steel 9mm has been reliable though.

No one's life, liberty or property is safe while the legislature is in session.- Mark Twain

Posts: 3500 | Location: TX | Registered: October 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
IME Tulu is meh, very underpowered but Wolf 9MM / 5.56 is good to go through pretty much everything I own - although I only shoot it through my Glocks and 1 Training AR15 in significant quantities.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Pyker
posted Hide Post
I have a case of Wolf 9mm (polymer coated) in my stash

Posts: 2763 | Location: Lake Country, Minnesota | Registered: September 06, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Pyker:
I have a case of Wolf 9mm (polymer coated) in my stash

If you haven't checked it lately, you should.

Back ~10 years ago, when Wolf first switched to polymer coated ammo in response to the BS interweb hysteria about lacquer, I had bought a half case of their new polymer-coated 7.62x39 that I transferred into an ammo can, which I stored in a climate controlled house in the bedroom. After a couple years, I cracked open the ammo can to find tiny rust spots all over the steel cases.

At that point, I went back to stocking lacquer coated steel 7.62x39 only. I have lacquered 7.62x39 that's been stored in the same manner for nearly two decades with no issues, and have many cases of lacquered surplus 8mm and 7.62x54R ammo that's ~70 years old that's still just fine. Luckily, there are still a few companies that haven't bowed to uninformed keyboard commando false outrage and still offer lacquer coatings. (Golden Tiger is my go-to for lacquered 7.62x39, but Wolf itself even still sells lacquer coated steel ammo in various calibers, although it's not as available as it once was since most of their contract production ammo is now polymer.)

Also, Wolf may have perfected their polymer coating over the past decade+. I haven't had that issue with some more recent poly-coated Wolf .223, but it also wasn't stored for very long before being shot up.

Posts: 32398 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Tulammo is the only ammo I shoot in my AK47. It has been flawless. Russian ammo in a Russian rifle.

I have been where you fear to be
I have seen what you fear to see
I have done what you fear to do
All these things I have done for you.

Posts: 16 | Location: Fairhope, Alabama | Registered: December 28, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I bought Wolf .30 carbine and in the 500 rounds I’ve shot so far I have not had a single issue. I’ve also put about 100 rounds of Tula thru it without any issues. The WWII warhorses feed any ammo you put thru them.

Posts: 37 | Location: Cleveland, OH | Registered: July 01, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yes, I buy Tulammo and Wolf steel case ammo.

My DPMS AR-10 loves Tulammo and Wolf, it has worked flawlessly for 500 rounds. I can afford to feed it steel much easier than brass.

I have a case of .30 carbine Wolf that works fine. I have some steel 5.56, but I don't shoot it anymore. It seems that in 9mm and 5.56 the steel case ammo went up in price, and the brass ammo came down in price, so I stocked up on brass cased ammo. If the price difference is small I prefer US made brass case ammo.

----------------------------------------------------
Dances with Crabgrass

Posts: 2180 | Location: East Virginia | Registered: October 12, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of PGT
posted Hide Post
Wolf 22 is top notch. Wolf steel is more than good enough for my AK's.

Posts: 3061 | Registered: December 21, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
fugitive from reality
Picture of SgtGold
posted Hide Post
Wolf 22 was made by SK. About two years ago they switched to Lapua. Out of my guns it shoots pretty much the same.

quote:
Originally posted by PGT:
Wolf 22 is top notch. Wolf steel is more than good enough for my AK's.

Posts: 7069 | Location: Newyorkistan | Registered: March 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Expert308
posted Hide Post
A friend of mine shoots a lot of steel cased ammo, like thousands of rounds, in both 9mm and .223 and hasn't had any problems at all. I was all set to buy a case of it in 9mm a few weeks ago, but searching around for price I found some Federal brass cased range ammo for only $20 more per case so I wound up buying that instead. I do plan on picking up some Wolf 9mm at some point though.

Posts: 7241 | Location: Idaho | Registered: February 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Lucky Gunner did a 1000-round torture test using brass- and steel-cased ammo in four identical AR-15s. https://www.luckygunner.com/la...vs-steel-cased-ammo/

I've run about 500 rounds of Wolf through my budget AR with few issues and if I had more of it, I'd be shooting it today. I've been more hesitant to run steel cased ammo through any of my handguns though.

Posts: 279 | Location: Pittsburgh, PA | Registered: August 13, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I’ve shot pretty much every brand of steel case ammo through my 5.56 M400; Wolf, Tula, Bear (brown, silver, etc). Don’t recall ever having an ammo related issue. My current “go to” general purpose is 62gr Barnaul unbranded made for SGAmmo https://www.sgammo.com/product...-62-grain-hollow-poi

Also available in SP and FMJ. As long as your gun operates reliably with it the cost savings means you can buy more/shoot more.

Mongo only pawn in game of life...

Posts: 683 | Location: DFW | Registered: August 15, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post