SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Forum Office    Please send my email to new member
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Please send my email to new member Login/Join 
Smarter than the
average bear
posted
As John's Daughter has expressed an interestin emailing me, can you please send her my email address? As a new member she cannot see it, but I am perfectly fine with her having my email address. Thank you.

John’sDaughter
posted February 16, 2024 06:20 PM Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by honestlou:
quote:
Originally posted by John’sDaughter:

I don’t know how to reply on here yet, but if I knew where my Dad’s guns were and was in charge of any of his possessions (he did not leave a will because his loss was unexpected so his widow has everything, I’m still trying to get back my childhood photographs and belongings)

Katie, if your dad died without a will, you are most likely entitled to a good portion of whatever assets and property he possessed at the time of his death. It does not automatically go to his wife.

I'm sorry for your loss, and sorry that there is "drama". Sadly this is not uncommon. I don't know the size of your dad's estate (basically all of his money and property), and maybe it's not worth the drama to you or the money to hire an attorney. I just wanted to make sure that you were aware that you most likely have a right to a portion of his estate.

I no longer practice law, and I'm not in North Carolina, but our forum has many practicing attorneys on it and I'm sure someone would be happy to talk to you if you'd like. I'd be happy to talk to you if you'd like, although I cannot technically give you legal advice.

Also, I'm not trying to insult your intelligence. It's just that I know from experience that a lot of people are uneducated about these matters and have no idea what rights they have.

Feel free to email me if you'd like; my email address is in my profile.

You’re not insulting my intelligence at all! I honestly appreciate the advice and have considered it. I will email you! I have never dealt with anything like this so when his widow said there wasn’t anything for me, I just asked for my childhood photos back and she said she’d get them to me. At the time, I was really shocked and upset—as was his widow—so I kind of just thought I would give her time and go take my time. I left the country for a bit, got engaged, and before I knew it, almost two years have passed. I followed up with her a few times and she just said she’d call me back, but didn’t. I don’t want to make things harder on her than they already are or be a bother if she doesn’t want to speak to me. She won’t talk to the rest of our family either. There were some disagreements over his burial place that I stayed out of but may have caused some bad feelings. So, I haven’t really pursued it at all. For context, she’s not my mom. She was married to my dad for the last four or five years of his life. We didn’t have any bad blood or anything, but we weren’t super close either because I was an adult when we met (21) and I had moved away from my hometown for college. My dad wasn’t exorbitantly wealthy or anything and I don’t care about the money—I just would really like my pictures back.

Posts: 10 | Registered: February 15, 2024 Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Posts: 3437 | Location: Baton Rouge, Louisiana | Registered: June 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
honestlou,

This is the way: https://sigforum.com/eve/forum...130008605#2130008605

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Smarter than the
average bear
posted Hide Post
Thank you!

Posts: 3437 | Location: Baton Rouge, Louisiana | Registered: June 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post