SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Forum Office    Avatar Update Failure...
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Avatar Update Failure... Login/Join 
Make America Great Again
Picture of bronicabill
posted
I am attempting to update my avatar, but I keep getting the following error no matter what hosting site I use. Have tried "postimages.org", Flickr, and Imgur. What am I doing wrong???

Thanks in advance for any help!

Posts: 4778 | Location: Madison, AL | Registered: December 06, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alea iacta est
Picture of Beancooker
posted Hide Post
It needs to be hosted at a private site, not a shared site. Places like post image don’t work. Not sure why.
Honestly, I’m not even sure where mine is hosted, I just didn’t change it after it worked.

quote:
Originally posted by sigmonkey:
I'd fly to Turks and Caicos with live ammo falling out of my pockets before getting within spitting distance of NJ with a firearm.
The “lol” thread

Posts: 4322 | Location: Staring down at you with disdain, from the spooky mountaintop castle.  | Registered: November 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
I’ve read that Flickr won’t host avatars, despite its high yearly cost. And I know of no free photo hosting site that will. I use ImageShack, ~$20/year, which does host avatars. And has other advantages too.

Several members would be willing to host your avatar. Make a request in The Lounge.

I hope that you’re not going back to the rocket launch avatar. Smile

Serious about crackers

Posts: 9436 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Post the URL in this thread. Sometimes, I can get it to work when this error pops up.

Posts: 109045 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Make America Great Again
Picture of bronicabill
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
Post the URL in this thread. Sometimes, I can get it to work when this error pops up.

Here it is from PostImages...

https://i.postimg.cc/tT9xfdR1/Bronica-ETRS-60x60.jpg

Once I see the new avatar showing I'll have a cut request to match it.

Thanks!

Posts: 4778 | Location: Madison, AL | Registered: December 06, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
I don't know. You might get a member to host it for you

Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
IIRC, the Monkey hosted mine
And I think Orguss has hosted others in the past

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15977 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
Para,

Can you see if you can make this work?
It's the server I have that I use to for hosting avatars, and have the same problem for everyone.

Older photos hosted there still work here, but no one can use or change the images since the HTTPS change.

Thank you.

https://www.wootmonkey.com/upl...9164523-bc92858e.jpg

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 44458 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Same error

A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
Ok. Thanks. Smile

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 44458 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Make America Great Again
Picture of bronicabill
posted Hide Post
Wow, this makes zero sense!!! The screenshot I posted in the OP was linked to Postimages and it worked fine! Every other hosting site also allows me to link photos here, but my avatar gives an accessibility error???

I'm no internet or website genius, though I used to have my own back during my photography days, and I built and hosted sites for a few other people, but I am totally bewildered by this...

Para, until we get this fixed... IF we can get it fixed, will you just change my cut to read "Make America Great Again"? Thanks!

Make America Great Again
Picture of bronicabill
posted Hide Post
Just tried from yet another new (to me) image hosting site; ImgBB, and that still gives me the same result! Mad

Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
I had this problem with every host I tried. Imgur finally worked, making sure to set the image to public and not private.

Posts: 17621 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Make America Great Again
Picture of bronicabill
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by P220 Smudge:
I had this problem with every host I tried. Imgur finally worked, making sure to set the image to public and not private.

How do I do that??? I am trying now but do not see that as an option. I went so far as to delete my account and reregister with a different name and email, and then uploaded the image again!

This message has been edited. Last edited by: bronicabill,

Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
Your new avatar doesn’t look like Bronica film to me. Smile

Serious about crackers

Posts: 9436 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bronicabill:
How do I do that??? I am trying now but do not see that as an option.

https://help.imgur.com/hc/en-u...tes%20and%20comments.

Posts: 17621 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Make America Great Again
Picture of bronicabill
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Pipe Smoker:
Your new avatar doesn’t look like Bronica film to me. Smile

LOL... yeah, we're working on that! Big Grin

Make America Great Again
Picture of bronicabill
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by P220 Smudge:
quote:
Originally posted by bronicabill:
How do I do that??? I am trying now but do not see that as an option.

https://help.imgur.com/hc/en-u...tes%20and%20comments.

It says my post is currently "hidden". I thought that meant it's private as it cannot be seen by the Imgur community. If for some reason I need to select "To Community", that button is greyed out and not useable!

I know I'm not stupid, but boy is this issue making me feel like I am!!!

Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Just delete it and re-upload it.
quote:
Desktop Website

When uploading a post using the desktop website, the default option for uploads is Hidden.
If you wish to share your content with the Imgur community, simply select "Share to community" in the top right, which will change your post privacy setting from Hidden to Public.
Clicking this will share your post with the Imgur community, enabling votes and comments. Public posts can be found in Imgur search and are viewable within your profile.

Make America Great Again
Picture of bronicabill
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
Just delete it and re-upload it.

Have already done so, but will try again... I obviously MUST be missing something!

Update: No matter how many times I delete and re-upload it, and I've tried every method available (drag-n-drop, browse computer, etc.), I still cannot get the "To Community" button to activate so I can click on it! My image stays hidden no matter what. I've even tried editing it in Imgur, and every other option they offer... it just doesn't work.

I'm tired of effing with it, so if anyone has any ideas/instructions on how to fix this, I'm just gonna give up for a few days to let the frustration level subside a bit.

Thanks for all of the hints and tips so far. It is greatly appreciated!!!

2nd Update: In what I thought was a moment of inspiration, I decided to download the Imgur app onto my phone and try it that way. It of course asked me to login and verify myself, so I entered my e-mail address and hit "next", then input my password and hit "next". Finally on the last screen it asked for my phone number so I put that in... failure. The "verify" button stayed inactive so I couldn't select it... just like the "To Community" button did on their website!!! I've come to believe that Imgur is flaky as hell and don't really want to use it anymore unless absolutely necessary! Mad