SIGforum
Eulogy and Memorial Threads

This topic can be found at:
https://sigforum.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/550601935/m/3040070554

March 29, 2019, 11:46 AM
LDD
Eulogy and Memorial Threads
[This post addresses housekeeping business going forward. It is not meant as commentary on any specific past thread.]

Going forward, there will be a five-day limit on eulogy/memorial threads. The five-day period will begin to accrue from the time the post is made. At the end of the five-day period, the thread will be locked by forum staff. Members who wish to continue communications with the original poster may contact the original poster by email, or other off-board means. The five-day period may be shortened or extended at the sole discretion of the forum administration, without notice.

Why is this policy being implemented?

In a word: closure.

The administration appreciates and encourages the close-knit community that Sigforum is. However, even at physical funerals, there is a time when the last wreath is laid, the body is interred, and the mourners know to go home. But in our online format, there is no such apparent symbolism. For the original poster, there is no closure when, weeks after, well-meaning members are posting condolences to which the original poster must respond or at least read. This is not a healthy state of affairs either for the original poster, or the forum itself.

We also encourage members to consider the content and necessity of such posts before making them. There are no bright-line rules in this regard: just think before you post. Thoughtful posting and good judgement are cornerstones of this forum, and the administration asks you to exercise them in this regard. Tragedies happen every day, but not all of them need to make it onto the forum.

This policy applies to eulogy/memorial threads for both humans and pets.

Thank you for your cooperation.
March 29, 2019, 03:31 PM
Censored
quote:
when the last wreath is laid, the body is interred, and the mourners know to go home

Good points. I really like the "when the last wreath is laid, the body is interred, and the mourners know to go home" comment. Folks that visit my house before, during or after a funeral do not understand the closure at some point thing.

I am going to mention the "when the last wreath is laid, the body is interred the mourners should know to go home" the next time our home is picked to be the gathering place (if my wife will let me).
March 29, 2019, 04:00 PM
Ryanp225
That's a smart policy.
March 30, 2019, 07:11 PM
Woodman
I've been thinking of a memorial picture thread in the Gallery. I would post a pic, say a few words, and that would be it. No discussion, quotes, etc.

Then another member might post a pic they like, of someone they knew and miss.

Still chewing it over.
March 31, 2019, 09:03 AM
CoolRich59
A very prudent and thoughtful policy. Thank you.

“Civilization is not inherited; it has to be learned and earned by each generation anew; if the transmission should be interrupted for one century, civilization would die, and we should be savages again." - Will Durant
March 31, 2019, 08:34 PM
SpinZone
An aspect that I had never considered. Another example of why this forum is unique.

“We truly live in a wondrous age of stupid.” - 83v45magna

"I think it's important that people understand free speech doesn't mean free from consequences societally or politically or culturally."
-Pranjit Kalita, founder and CIO of Birkoa Capital Management

April 01, 2019, 06:27 AM
Bassamatic
This is a good policy.

.....never marry a woman who is mean to your waitress.
April 01, 2019, 03:38 PM
Georgeair
quote:
I would post a pic, say a few words, and that would be it. No discussion, quotes, etc.

Yeah, folks have demonstrated an incredible knack for following those simple instructions. I suspect your thread would last less than 24 hours before it gets derailed.

Good luck.

LDD's insight to the never-ending eulogy is a good one.

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

April 04, 2019, 09:22 AM
BuckRogers2000
I greatly appreciate the time, effort and expense that the creator(s) and moderators expend, on forums like this. This rule is prudent.

Thanks for the heads up!
April 06, 2019, 05:29 PM
Sailor1911
Good thinking!

Place your clothes and weapons where you can find them in the dark.

“If in winning a race, you lose the respect of your fellow competitors, then you have won nothing” - Paul Elvstrom "The Great Dane" 1928 - 2016
April 11, 2019, 06:20 PM
Rolan_Kraps
I hope we don't have to use this policy often.

Rolan Kraps
SASS Regulator
Gainesville, Georgia.
NRA Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Instructor - Pistol / Personal Protection Inside the Home
April 15, 2019, 08:09 AM
Fenris
This sounds like a good policy. If I might offer a small suggestion: Extend it from 5 to 7 days for members who may not get on except the weekend and might miss if OP is made on Monday.

But overall, a good policy.

The budget should be balanced, the Treasury should be refilled, public debt should be reduced, the arrogance of officialdom should be tempered and controlled, and the assistance to foreign lands should be curtailed lest Rome become bankrupt. People again must learn to work, instead of living on public assistance. ~ Cicero 55 BC

The Dhimocrats love America like ticks love a hound.
April 23, 2019, 11:09 AM
Fla. Jim
quote:
Originally posted by Fenris:
This sounds like a good policy. If I might offer a small suggestion: Extend it from 5 to 7 days for members who may not get on except the weekend and might miss if OP is made on Monday.

But overall, a good policy.

I agree we need a finite date to work from. I have visited graves of friends gone many a year after their unknown death to me. I never felt I needed a time machine to keep their Wake alive.