SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Competition, Training and Regional Shoots    SIG SAUER ACADEMY.
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

SIG SAUER ACADEMY. Login/Join 
posted
Hello,

I am running up to NH for the level 3 handgun course. Does anyone know the exact type of ammo to have? I want to buy before I go and not have to buy it there.
Thanks
Jeff

"For Epping, NH courses, non-toxic, non-jacketed FRANGIBLE ammunition may be required"

Posts: 29 | Location: East Coast | Registered: March 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
Most courses at the academy require plain ole ball ammo.

But, I’m not sure why you wouldn’t just buy ammo there. Something goes wrong during the training, it’s on them and not whatever big box you bought ammo from.

www.opspectraining.com

"It's a bold strategy, Cotton. Let's see if it works out for them"

Posts: 37071 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Green Highlander
posted Hide Post
If you don't want to buy it at the Academy some LGS options are Renaissance Firearms in Barrington, Reilly's Sport Shop and Shooters Outpost. The latter two are in Hooksett. All three are within a 30 minute drive of the Academy.

"You know, Scotland has its own martial arts. Yeah, it's called Fuck You. It's mostly just head butting and then kicking people when they're on the ground." - Charlie MacKenzie (Mike Myers in "So I Married an Axe Murderer")

Posts: 2380 | Location: Seacoast, NH | Registered: July 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Veteran of the
Psychic Wars
posted Hide Post
I have taken a shit ton of courses at Sig and here is how it goes (WRT ammunition):

For Pistols, if it is a daytime course (before 5pm) then you will most likely be on an outdoor range and can use plain FMJ ammo. If it is after 5pm, then you will most likely be shooting indoors, and that most likely means frangible ammo. Frangible ammo is significantly more expensive than FMJ, so plan accordingly. Sig sells both FMJ and frangible ammo, so you don't need to bring ammo. As for frangible, unless you have a 'connection' with someone in the ammo industry, Sig will be hard to beat on their frangible prices. However, if you are scheduled to shoot FMJ, you can procure quality factory ammo on your own at a lower cost than what Sig charges for FMJ.

Sig used to display what they charged for ammo bought on their courses. It is definitely cheaper to bring your own FMJ ammo if you are driving to the course.

You can call the academy and see what they currently charge for ammo (and see if you need FMJ or frangible for that particular class).

Posts: 1294 | Location: The end of the Earth... | Registered: March 02, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The last bit of the above is the critical issue. Are you inside or out. You will have to call and ask.

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 10966 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Web Clavin Extraordinaire
Picture of Oat_Action_Man
posted Hide Post
Call and ask. Just tell them what class and when and ask what range it's on. If it's in one of the indoor ranges, just ask if you need frangible. Unless you're flying, I see no reason not to bring your own. We just schlepped 2 cases with us.

----------------------------

Chuck Norris put the laughter in "manslaughter"

Educating the youth of America, one declension at a time.

Posts: 19837 | Location: SE PA | Registered: January 12, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post