SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Competition, Training and Regional Shoots    Do you make it a point to wear gloves when you practice?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Do you make it a point to wear gloves when you practice? Login/Join 
posted
I have been trying to for the last year-and-a-half or so. I figure I am gonna want them on my hands in a SHTF scenario, and that's typically the mindset I have when practicing; I am not talking about donning gloves in a self or home defense scenario. It makes weapon and kit manipulation different, in some regards. One thing I have run into, in breaking-in a new pair of gloves, is the leather hasn't been scuffed or become tacky yet, and consistently slips off the tabs on my chest rig's mag retention strap snaps; I need to very deliberately grip the strap.
Yesterday, when I did my sucky duffel bag drag, I had forgotten to don my gloves before I started the event. Not even halfway through dragging that bag through that 20m, my hands friggen hurt. I was grasping the strap and metal clasp that holds the top of the duffel bag shut, and it was abrading my hand in a big way. I donned my gloves and solved that problem. The experience certainly reinforced the importance of gloves, and I'll continue training with them on my hands.
Do other folks make an effort to remember the gloves, when they practice with their firearms?

Posts: 2137 | Location: Northeast GA | Registered: February 15, 2021Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
Yep, I practice some of the time with both my normal duty gloves as well as my thicker winter duty gloves.

Posts: 32495 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Prepared for the Worst, Providing the Best
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
I very rarely wear gloves other than disposable nitrile surgical gloves, and when I do they're the thin Mechanix gloves to limit loss of dexterity. That said, I was just thinking about this the other day, and the times that I do put gloves on are typically when I know I'm getting ready to go into a situation where I'm likely to have to go hands on with somebody...which obviously could escalate into something worse. As such, shooting with them on is probably something I ought to be practicing more.

Posts: 8543 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
I first became interested in the question of wearing gloves while shooting when I realized that the LEOs I was teaching wore gloves outdoors most of the year in our local climate, but almost never wore them while shooting. That prompted me to examine the question of what gloves were suitable for wear while shooting, including conducting a series of experiments.

I found that for me I required gloves that were thin and flexible to shoot as well as I could without them. I didn’t normally wear them, though, until after the first extended session with a pre-“upgrade” P320 that left my trigger finger with a bloody blister. The first gloves I wore for the purpose were the “PIG” that satisfied the thin and flexible requirement, and I decided that if I needed them for the P320, I should start wearing them when shooting my other guns, especially my ARs and precision rifles. That’s what I do to this day even though my current P320s and P365 with their straight triggers don’t bother my finger as much. The straight triggers also leave more room for use with slightly thicker gloves.

The PIG gloves weren’t very durable, and my current preference are the “Light” model by Direct Action, but a somewhat more durable glove that’s also usable is the “Fastfit” model by Mechanix. The problem of course in really cold weather is that the thin, highly flexible gloves like those don’t provide much insulation. They’re better than nothing (actually much better than nothing), but hardly ideal.

For really cold weather what I recommend to my students is wearing heavy, warm gloves that can be jerked off easily and quickly in an emergency to allow shooting without gloves at all. With practice and the right kind of gloves (or even mittens), that adds almost no time to a draw or employing a long gun.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47399 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
We have a winter. And its mostly cold (not Alaska cold but cold enough your hands go downhill fast). So I wear gloves shooting maybe 5 months of the year. For me nomex aviator gloves are the best option for manipulation. and tucked inside over mittens for the actual sub zero terms work pretty well...

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 10996 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Orive 8
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigfreund:
For really cold weather what I recommend to my students is wearing heavy, warm gloves that can be jerked off easily and quickly in an emergency to allow shooting without gloves at all. With practice and the right kind of gloves (or even mittens), that adds almost no time to a draw or employing a long gun.

Yep, I practice some with thin leather Hatch gloves, as well as practice yanking off the thicker "colder weather" gloves.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Tomorrow's battle is won during today's practice.

Posts: 1898 | Location: Collier Twp, PA | Registered: June 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post
yes, sun protection.

Posts: 15887 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of rmfnla
posted Hide Post
Only after Labor Day… Cool

Today, my jurisdiction ends here…

Posts: 141 | Registered: August 21, 2021Reply With QuoteReport This Post