SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Competition, Training and Regional Shoots    IDPA , USPSA & Steel Challenge With A Single-Stack (1911, 9mm) For Newbies?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

IDPA , USPSA & Steel Challenge With A Single-Stack (1911, 9mm) For Newbies? Login/Join 
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted
Not that I'm necessarily going to jump right into this, but I'm wondering what is recommended in the way of holsters, mag carriers, and number of mags for competing in IDPA, USPSA, and Steel Challenge with a (single-stack) 1911 in 9mm?

If I understand correctly: I can compete in IDPA ESP with three (3) ten-round mags: One in the gun and two on my belt? (Plus maybe a "Barny mag" in a pocket for loading one in the pipe?)

I'm reading that, for USPSA, I'll want up to five (5) ten-round mags: One in the gun plus four on the belt? (Plus a Barny mag in a pocket?)

Steel Challenge appears to require five (5) mags for a full course? (Plus Barny mag?)

If I recall correctly (I read up on some of this in the past): IDPA prohibits the use of things like dropped and offset holsters, but USPSA allows them? Looks like Steel Challenge would, too? If so: I'm thinking a Blade-Tech, like I have for my G34, where I can add and subtract components such as a DOH adapter, might be a good way to go?

Any other thoughts or wisdom on IDPA, USPSA, or SC with a (single-stack) 1911 in 9mm are welcome.

Thanks!

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Four magazines will be plenty for IDPA. For steel challenge, providing you don't miss, you only need 25 rounds per stage, 20 for outer limits. So, theoretically, one could shoot steel challenge with three, 10 round magazines. 5 might be smarter. USPSA would be best approached with 6 magazines for single stack. Steel Challenge with a 9mm single stack is one of my favorite shooting activities. Right behind steel challenge with a 2 inch Kimber K6S.

Ignem Feram

Posts: 528 | Registered: October 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the info, miazarus!

When you're giving those mag counts, you're including the Barny mag, correct?

Probably what I most need, for training in SD proficiency, is IDPA. But what sounds like the most fun is ringing steel Smile

USPSA is the closest to me, distance-wise, but seems the least interesting.

I think the closest club that does IDPA also has pin shoots. I used to enjoy that when a nearby gun range used to run them on Thursday nights.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
There is a difference between what is the minimum for the course of fire and what is the right number for score. For example as is noted by mlazarus in SC you can do the course of fire no misses with a small number of mags. But misses are 'free' in SC and you can use whatever amount of rounds it takes to hit the targets and the stop plate and a mag change is suicide. So you want 5. Swap every time so you are fully charged for the next run. But you don't need them in mag carriers on your belt just somewhere.
The same is true for USPSA mostly but given the COF restrictions you want 4. For IDPA its really 3 not including the start mag if your division needs that and/or you don't want to just add a loose round.
But if your going to setup your equipment for carry do 4. and have at least one extra.

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 10996 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Grab SKS,
go innawoods
Picture of mrmoneybags
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ensigmatic:
Thanks for the info, miazarus!

When you're giving those mag counts, you're including the Barny mag, correct?

Probably what I most need, for training in SD proficiency, is IDPA. But what sounds like the most fun is ringing steel Smile

USPSA is the closest to me, distance-wise, but seems the least interesting.

I think the closest club that does IDPA also has pin shoots. I used to enjoy that when a nearby gun range used to run them on Thursday nights.

For USPSA SS in 9mm, I would recommend 5 mags on the belt & a 6th for your “Make Ready” mag. I wouldn’t worry about having an extra magazine with 1 round; just load the gun & exchange the mag for your rearmost mag, so that your last mag has 9rd. You won’t miss that one round.

I recommend 5 on the belt because that’s what I see most commonly for Production shooters, including myself. I’ve only ever used that 5th mag a few times, but was glad to have it!

For training in “SD” proficiency, shoot USPSA. IDPA frankly has much lower standards. I’m only above-average in USPSA and I absolutely fuck IDPA matches up when I attend them.

In any event, the match isn’t training; the match is the cold-start live-fire test to see if your training is effective. The training happens alone in dry-fire and range time. Competition in USPSA or IDPA generally requires the same fundamental skill set, but USPSA does a better & more comprehensive job of testing them.

To be clear, I am not bashing any of the above-listed pistol sports, just providing an honest assessment to help you decide where to invest your time & money.

Posts: 1913 | Location: 42003 | Registered: November 03, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the additional insights, hrcjon and mrmoneybags!

Wow, five mags on the belt? Where do you put them all?

Maybe a good thing I'm not as skinny as I used to be... and I may need more mags

mrmoneybags: "Make Ready" mag? I'm guessing, from the context, that is the one you start with? So when they command "Load and make ready," you chamber one (from a Barney mag or your last on-belt mag), insert the Make Ready mag, (engage safety for S/A guns, de-cock DA/SA guns), and holster?

Grab SKS,
go innawoods
Picture of mrmoneybags
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ensigmatic:
Thanks for the additional insights, hrcjon and mrmoneybags!

Wow, five mags on the belt? Where do you put them all?

Maybe a good thing I'm not as skinny as I used to be... and I may need more mags

mrmoneybags: "Make Ready" mag? I'm guessing, from the context, that is the one you start with? So when they command "Load and make ready," you chamber one (from a Barney mag or your last on-belt mag), insert the Make Ready mag, (engage safety for S/A guns, de-cock DA/SA guns), and holster?

>Where to put them all
Click this link to get an idea of what a typical USPSA Single Stack gear setup looks like:
https://benstoegerproshop.com/...daa-belts-for-uspsa/

>$300
Yes it is a little yikes to go play a gun game that you’re not even sure you’ll like. It will, however, function as a great “range day” belt whether or not you decide to carry on with competitive shooting. Either way, see Final Note.

>Make Ready
My Make Ready would differ a little bit from yours since I shoot Production, which only allows 10rd after the stage begins. I keep a magazine loaded to 11 in my front pouch, so I just load, charge, and then refill that front pouch with a magazine in my pocket or from a magnet. It doesn’t matter much how you do it, just do it the same way every time so you don’t confuse yourself when you’re getting keyed up to run a stage.

Final Note: forgive me if I’m assuming too much, but it seems like you haven’t shot any USPSA or IDPA. If you want to get an idea if it is something you like without dropping the initial investment money of belt kit, spare mags, etc, take a standard duty gun like a Glock 17 and 3 magazines (for a total of 51rd in gun & on belt) and go shoot a match or two in USPSA Limited division. Ltd allows you to load your magazines to full capacity, so you can get by with your normal carry belt and a cheapo double mag pouch. There are generally no restrictions on holster type (don’t be the guy with a nylon Uncle Mike) or placement, gear placement, weapon mounted lights, etc. and even if there is, most clubs will let first- and second-time competitors skirt the gear rules while getting their feet wet.

Posts: 1913 | Location: 42003 | Registered: November 03, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post