SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Competition, Training and Regional Shoots    Shooting rifles other than your primary (and the jljones prone speed drill)
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Shooting rifles other than your primary (and the jljones prone speed drill) Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
I finally ran a mag's worth of the 50 yard B8 "prone speed drill". I was unable to achieve the standard. Of my six runs, I only met the score standard on two: a 49 and a 50; the times for those runs were 6:64 and 6:91.

What sort of stance or "posture" did y'all start from? I started with the rifle slung "necklace" style, with both hands on it, in what I would call a "patrol" posture. I know if I had started at high-ready, it would have made my transition to prone a bit quicker.

My rifle is a 10.5" with silencer and 4.5x magnification(lowest available).

Other scores/times are as follows:
42/6:38
38/6:64
28/6:75
38/5:96

I had four shots land outside the scoreable zone entirely, but not off the 8.5x11 sheet of paper.

Am I correct in saying the "X" ring doesn't count for more than ten points?

This message has been edited. Last edited by: KSGM,

Posts: 2454 | Location: Northeast GA | Registered: February 15, 2021Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Prepared for the Worst, Providing the Best
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
quote:
Am I correct in saying the "X" ring doesn't count for more than ten points?

That's the way we've always scored it...the X ring is just used for a tiebreaker in competition. Still only worth 10 points. For this exercise, I'm just happy to keep them all in the black!

Posts: 9163 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
I'm just happy to keep them all in the black!
Hell, I'll be content with the 8-ring.

Posts: 2454 | Location: Northeast GA | Registered: February 15, 2021Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
I start with the rifle in high ready. The thing that I have found is mounting the gun as early as possible as soon as I arrive in prone is the key to success. I hit the ground, lock the gun into my shoulder, and place my off hand on the forearm above where it normally is for other shooting. I press the magazine into the ground to lock the gun into place. This allows me to shoot faster splits without sacrificing score.

If I don’t mount the gun early, there’s no way I’m going to make time.

www.opspectraining.com

"It's a bold strategy, Cotton. Let's see if it works out for them"

Posts: 37156 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post
Do you use a shooting mat, or wear protective knees and elbows gear?

Posts: 16150 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
I use a shooting mat where I can. Only time I wear knee pads is if I am wearing Crye pants.

www.opspectraining.com

"It's a bold strategy, Cotton. Let's see if it works out for them"

Posts: 37156 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post