SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Competition, Training and Regional Shoots    Shooting rifles other than your primary
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Shooting rifles other than your primary Login/Join 
posted
With ammo prices and availability the way they are, and time as precious as it is for most of us, do you feel as though you're wasting both of those resources training with a rifle that isn't your go-to, real deal carbine? I don't think I am alone in having a certain rifle that I consider my primary; a rifle in which I have invested more time, money, and training than anything else I own. In being somewhat of a "gun guy", I have other rifles as well, that I enjoy for one reason or other. I am often tempted to shoot them; to train with them. I almost always decide it better not to, in the interest of putting that ammo and time toward what I consider to be the more relevant and practical rifle. Do others face this same dilemma, and choose the way I do?

Posts: 911 | Location: Northeast GA | Registered: February 15, 2021Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Deal In Lead
Picture of Flash-LB
posted Hide Post
I don't, but I put away enough ammo and components to last me for a long, long time, even though I shoot at least twice a week.

Posts: 8789 | Location: Gilbert Arizona | Registered: March 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Prepared for the Worst, Providing the Best
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
I've actually been shooting other rifles more, because I can get large primers much easier than small, and other components are also readily available. I've been shooting cowboy action stuff and 1911s on the pistol side for the same reason.

Posts: 5817 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of magholderusa
posted Hide Post
I cycle through my rifles regularly to make sure they are still zeroed in, also I enjoy shooting, as well as for general training.

Ricky Taggart
Magholder.com
Utah, USA

Posts: 100 | Location: Cedar Hills, UT, USA | Registered: September 28, 2021Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Perception
posted Hide Post
No, I shoot all rifles equally poorly.

"The people hate the lizards and the lizards rule the people."
"Odd," said Arthur, "I thought you said it was a democracy."
"I did," said Ford, "it is."
"So," said Arthur, hoping he wasn't sounding ridiculously obtuse, "why don't the people get rid of the lizards?"
"It honestly doesn't occur to them. They've all got the vote, so they all pretty much assume that the government they've voted in more or less approximates the government they want."
"You mean they actually vote for the lizards."
"Oh yes," said Ford with a shrug, "of course."
"But," said Arthur, going for the big one again, "why?"
"Because if they didn't vote for a lizard, then the wrong lizard might get in."

Posts: 3191 | Location: Two blocks from the Center of the Universe | Registered: December 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
Like many questions that KSGM poses, this is another interesting one that caused me to think about my habits. My shooting practices are affected by the weather more than anything else. I am not limited by the guns, ammunition, or venue, but although at one time I would have pushed myself to practice regardless of the temperature or how much snow was on the ground, I no longer feel that proves anything to me—and I have no need to prove anything to anyone else. I still do enough things, including shooting, when it’s cold and snowing to demonstrate I can do them if necessary, and that’s sufficient.

In addition I’ve found that my proficiency with my primary defensive weapons when I get back to training with them even after a couple of months hasn’t deteriorated very much, so that reduces the sense of urgency. I recognize that all that’s a healthy dose of rationalization and it wouldn’t do if I were getting ready for Delta selection, but I’m not. At my age I feel good about myself if I lift weights every morning.

There is one exception: I do not shoot my precision rifles very much, i.e., no 200-round sessions, and therefore I have a goal of shooting certain drills at least once a month, year round. They are basically Can you go out and hit a precision target from different positions and at different ranges with no warm-up even when you’d rather be inside? Thus far: Yes.

Added: And although I’m not a dry fire fanatic as some people claim to be, even a little bit does help. Further, I’ve found that when I do it, many low-round-count sessions help my proficiency more than a few that involve firing a lot of ammunition. The “serious” training course I fire most often uses 30 rounds of handgun and 35 rounds of carbine ammunition.

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 45472 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post