SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Competition, Training and Regional Shoots    Long range patrol or "bug out" ruck loadout
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Long range patrol or "bug out" ruck loadout Login/Join 
posted
I have been intending to share this packing list for a while, in hopes that others might find it useful and/or give me some feedback or ideas, to help me improve. This is a packing list for a multi-day sustainment ruck that I have been using for a while. I have taken earlier iterations of it on a couple overnighters, and have been using this refined load for months now, on hikes, patrol-type training and land navigation exercises. It is a "scaleable" setup, with a short range daypack that can be quickly built from the larger ruck, if the ruck is going to remain at a campsite or cache point during a shorter excursion. The daypack can be assembled without breaching the main ruck compartment. I have been using a medium Alice as the foundation, which is honestly too small; I hope to upgrade eventually, to a Tactical Tailor Malice pack. Anyway, the list is broken down into three parts: daypack, ruck exterior, and ruck interior. When the full ruck is assembled, with daypack integrated, the daypack's contents live in the ruck's three outermost pockets and lashed to the exterior of the ruck, and the daypack itself is rolled/folded, and tucked under the ruck top flap. Obviously, some aspects of the list are circumstantial; you're likely not going to take extra ammo and a helmet on a camping trip. Also, things like climbing rope and a climbing harness may not apply to everyone's local terrain. Some items are seasonal as well, with this current load reflecting cooler temperatures...

If anyone is curious about why I have a particular item, I'll be happy to clarify. I hope to get some recommendations for things to add or reconsider. I do intend to add a small kit with things for fishing and making snares. I would love to upgrade to lighter/warmer/smaller sleeping bag eventually as well. The full consolidated ruck is between 65 and 70 pounds; I wish it was lighter, but I don't see how it could be, short of investing in higher-dollar, fancy lighter-weight gear. Keep in mind my intent is for this to be an "operational" loadout, not a survive with the bare minimum, keep in the trunk of the car for an emergency loadout.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: KSGM,

Posts: 2081 | Location: Northeast GA | Registered: February 15, 2021Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
A newer revision of the same, ever-evolving system...

Ruck interior:
climbing harness *
figure-eight and carabiners *
water harvest bladder *
sand bags *
water proof weapon bag *
in-line water filter
inflatable sleep pad
weapon cleaning kit
hygiene kit
socks+undies
balaclava and light gloves
bungee cords
zip ties
chem lights
tape
white/IR light
spare compass
batteries (AA, 123)
tent stakes
land navigation reference material
survival literature
stripped MREs
dense survival ration
binoculars
550 cord
E-tool
fire-starting kit to include:
-lighters
-matches
-magnesium/spark tool
-magnifying lens
-fatwood
-dryer lint
-starter pellets

Items marked with * are outside the sealed inner portion, to allow quicker access, outside an extended-stay patrol base scenario.

This larger rucksack foundation will be standing by, in the event a longer range or duration event is anticipated. The short range pack will always be ready to go, in a more “QRF” posture, but can be easily/quickly integrated into this rucksack, to complete the long-range loadout.

This ruck sustains 72 hours of operations, when the short range pack is integrated. This list is left behind, in a quick reaction or known near-range event. Nothing should be removed from this foundation, for use in a short range operation, unless marked with *.

Ruck exterior:
sleep system in WP bag and stuff sack
-system scaled, based on season. Remove a bag layer and add hammock during summer.
heavy leather gloves
IFAK
tourniquet
machete/saw/hatchet
climbing rope

Most of these items can be inside the ruck, if the user's pack can accommodate it, and he so chooses. Medical items should be left on the exterior, in any case.

Posts: 2081 | Location: Northeast GA | Registered: February 15, 2021Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Short range pack:
Beanie
Contractor trash bag
three magazines
one NV magazine (low flash)
PVS14 w/ mount and extra batteries
nightcap
water purification tablets
squeeze-through water filter
high-calorie snacks
MRE
shop towels
minimalist weapon cleaning kit
chem lights (color and IR)
batteries (AA, 123, CR2, AAA, 2032)
2qt water
cable cutters
multi tool
notebook and relevant reference material
faraday bag
DBJ2 radio antenna+deployment line
tarp+poncho
undies+socks
cold weather or other seasonal gear
VS17 panel
IR spotlight
thermal blanket
spare radio cables
smoke device
woobie

This is intended to support a 24hr operation, QRF situation, or short range excursion from a patrol base or ruck cache point.

Between worn items, and this pack, a person should have no less than one gallon of water ready to drink. More water can be harvested, if needed, with filter kit and/or tablets.

This pack should be able to carry a ballistic helmet; either within, or lashed to the outside, in a stable manner. Mission will dictate if helmet is worn, left in a cache, or taken along.

This pack should be ready to go at all times, in a grab-and-go posture.

All of these items, to include the pack itself, will fit into the user's larger rucksack, on top of ruck foundation items, for long range operations.

*The nightcap is a soft headgear that allows the utilization of NVG, without the bulk/weight of a helmet. VS17 panel is a fluorescent orange/pink fabric signaling panel. The IR spotlight is a handheld high-power LED IR illuminator. The thermal blanket serves it's intended purpose, or as concealment from thermal sensors. The smoke device is for contingency signaling.

posted Hide Post
***This whole system is “scaleable”. The short range pack is the general purpose configuration; with the ruck being optional, for long distance/duration situations. The short range pack, as listed here, is about 32 pounds; the ruck foundation is about 43 pounds; this makes for a total, when in the long range package, of 75 pounds.***

Bolt Thrower
Picture of Voshterkoff
posted Hide Post
What is your mixture of tactical nylon when wearing the two packs? Assuming the options are belt, plate carrier, and chest rig.

Posts: 9942 | Location: Woodinville, WA | Registered: March 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I am a chest rig dude. I have worn all combinations of stuff at one point or other, but a chest rig suits me best. It plays well with a pack, which is a relevant piece of equipment for my philosophy of use. My chest rig is not sleek or minimalist, by any means; it's got a good bit of stuff on it. It's also worth mentioning that it has more of a vertical dispersion, than horizontal; again, to accommodate pack straps. My choices likely also stem from the fact that my introduction to military personal equipment came at a time when belt rigs were not popular yet. IMO, the belt and plate rigs have more of a place in direct action, where sustainment equipment isn't as necessary. I'll wear my chest rig and a ballistic helmet, before I wear a plate carrier. The carrier I do have is 100% slick, and can be worn under my chest rig, if circumstances deem it prudent.

posted Hide Post
right, 75 lbs, without armor, guns, ammo, night vision, which will be another 25 lbs. I wanna see you run with it, dive-prone, roll over, jump up, repeat.

Posts: 6 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: March 08, 2023Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It would certainly difficult to perform those acrobatics. You do understand this is a long-range and/or extended stay load, right? It is hardly uncommon for an infantryman's sustainment pack to be quite cumbersome indeed. Are you commenting on the load, or what you're assuming is a low level of fitness of the wearer? If you cared to click on this thread, you likely have something constructive to say on the topic; I look forward to future contributions. Perhaps consider the "daypack" version, in the scope of diving to the prone and getting back up promptly. The whole thing is scalable for a reason.

These weights do take into account four mags of extra ammo, night vision, and four liters of water. Also, as stated above, it is built around what I perceive to be my needs in my area. Armor is not as applicable or practical in my likely use-case, so it is not used.

If you're at all like-minded, I'd like to compare notes. As is also stated above: it's a work in progress.

Prepared for the Worst, Providing the Best
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
While I get that this isn't intended for acrobatics, the issue of long range mobility is a valid concern. I know you said you've taken it on a few trips, have you tried carrying that loadout over any significant distance? If I'm going to have to rely on moving myself with my feet, I'm looking for as little weight as possible. My backpacking loadout for 4 days is under 30lbs, including food and water. 20-25 miles per day is still a pretty lofty goal with that load, especially if there's elevation...75+lbs and I'd be lucky to do half that. And that's on marked trails without having to be concerned about fighting anyone.

I know there are a lot of folks out there who are in better shape and stronger than me, but I run 2-3 miles per day and walk another 2-5, and do several overnight trips a year. I'd say I'm in better than average shape. The first trip I ever went on I brought way too much stuff, and it was horrible. I quickly learned that when you're hauling yourself and all your gear on foot, you make do with the absolute essentials and nothing more. If there's a piece of kit that can do a passable job of serving two functions, you take that instead of two dedicated things. And then you find a lighter weight version of that first thing and upgrade to that.

You have a lot of redundancy built into your kit. If you can pack it, that's a great thing. Personally, I'd prefer to eliminate some of that in exchange for better mobility. I'm also not a fan of MREs...they are heavy and will trash your digestive system. My typical meals on the trail are not quite as shelf-stable, but much lighter and easier on the system: tortillas, onions, jerkey, hard cheese, and peppers while they last...sometimes supplemented by edible stuff in the woods. I'm also big on mixed nuts and a little granola. It's all edible cold, so I save weight by not dealing with a stove and fuel, too, and there's minimal prep time.

Just some thoughts from my personal experience...I don't know your environment or your capabilities, so consider my input worth what you paid for it.

Posts: 8401 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
So just to get an idea of the op overview that went into the load out requirement - A couple of comments:

Assume you have an LDA scouted and setup prior to rolling out of your house and you could drive to within say 2-3 hours of the LDA and ruck in. If so you could cache some supplies at the site. Additional food, water, ammo, etc.. You could also use the LDA site to offload materials not needed from your day pack on a given day/mission. I agree with having everything you might need, but not having to carry it all the time. So your base camp would be at the LDA. Truck could be a backup supply point.

I assume you would keep the entire setup ready to go with fresh food/water on a rotation and regular systems checks of all battery powered equipment.

You mentioned the day pack as being used for a QRF role. In listing this role, are you deploying near an area where you’re starting your patrol expecting opposition? What is the expected strength of this force? Is the idea more that you’re out on patrol and you’re drawn to action? Just trying to clarify. Either way it sounds like you’re not planning to be way out in the woods, but rather in closer to town or at least other people.

My point was to ask how the expected mission drove the load out.

+

Posts: 2838 | Location: Unass the AO | Registered: December 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
92fstech, thanks for the thought-provoking post.

quote:
My backpacking loadout for 4 days is under 30lbs, including food and water.

Can you share that loadout?

I consider my distance goals in the context of avoiding roads in my mostly rural setting. I have two small towns and an interstate highway in a ten mile radius, with the rest being farmland/pasture, their associated homesites, and woods. I have always figured ten miles/day is a reasonable figure, travelling overland in these conditions, with the full ruck, while being reasonably mindful of security. The ruck is the worst-case load; it would enable, in my mind, a hypothetical situation requiring a long, multi-day movement to retrieve some crucial supplies from another, more distant town. I have not performed any lengthy movements yet, with the 75LB pack and full equipment. I have donned the entire thing for a few shorter excursions over rugged terrain, in an absence of trails, and have performed one test run on a three-mile rugged trail, but without personal equipment and a weapon. The same location that plays home to the three mile trail has a six mile loop as well; that'll happen sometime soon, though, again, without personal equipment.

When it comes to "the absolute essentials", I have been ill-served by a minimal list enough times that I err on the side of more is more; not less (to a point). A sleeping bag and pad is a good example, especially in cooler weather; I have suffered through enough crappy nights to prefer avoiding another, if I can. An unrestful night makes for an inefficient and potentially ineffective following day. My sleeping bag happens to be a good example of your upgrade note as well: I have a USGI system; it's heavy and bulky. I could upgrade to something lighter, smaller, and warmer, but I haven't been able to justify that expenditure yet.

I like your food choices, and I agree on the MREs being a big rugged. However, part of my philosophy is a set it and forget it approach, with minimal prep. So, food that can just stay in the pack is a good thing. Having to maintain readiness of different/better food types is something I'm not sure is sustainable for me, in my daily schedule.

Your mention of redundancy has me curious what you'd suggest I eliminate? I understand your pack would be fundamentally different, but, if you can look at my pack as yours, and try to imagine you'd like to keep most of it, what jumps out at you as something to eject?

posted Hide Post
Abn556, you've got a good idea of where my head's at, with your primary and secondary cache/supply points and/or "bases".

As mentioned above, my food sources are such that they require minimal maintenance. Water sources are left clean, empty, and open between uses, to avoid bacteria growth. Batteries are cycled through as needed, during regular practice sessions, with extras for everything kept in the pack(s).

quote:
You mentioned the day pack as being used for a QRF role.

I used the QRF terminology to indicate that the smaller day pack configuration is the one that's always ready to grab and go. Who knows which of many hypotheticals we may be faced with? A situation that calls for a long distance/duration movement would likely allow a bit more prep time anyway, so I think it prudent to keep the system scaled down. A situation that the day pack is intended to sustain would likely have a bit more immediacy assigned to it, so I don't want to have to spend the time to break the larger ruck system down.

The daypack is the primary load. As previously stated, my area is quite rural, but it is not BFE. If it was friggen cold, and I had to spend the night, I'd be a bit butthurt I didn't have my sleep system, but I'm in GA, after all, so it's more often warm enough.

The expected mission is unknown, which makes it hard to plan the most minimal setup.

posted Hide Post
There are people near me who use sites in national forests for their LDA. They get pretty far back in on fire breaks off the main black top and then ruck in from there. There is some danger in this approach as national forests in this area are sometimes used by weed growers and meth labs. There are also the occasional federal forestry guys and game wardens. My point is you’ll have to scout your LDA carefully before committing to a cache site.

I assume you are running a belt as well as a chest rig to help distribute your load. I ask that just to clarify that you could drop your day pack with the spare mags if you make contact so you can move more quietly to observe and decide if you want to, or have to engage. A belt/chest rig would give you a basic load +/- and a side arm. You could tag your pack location on a GPS and use it as a rally point if you break contact quickly.

I can’t remember if you said you carried smoke. I know it’s old school, but I still like the concealment and potential for disinformation that smoke provides in the woods. I say disinformation from the point of view of using smoke to do the unexpected. Most people would see smoke and assume you would be pulling back or hunkering down. Depending on their skill level, they might not be expecting a flanking move off smoke. Just a thought.

My last thought for you is that a fire team is better than a lone gun. If you could get 3 guys with you and train them into a decent fire team you have so many more maneuver and formation options.

It gets pretty damn hot in Georgia. I went to airborne school at Benning in the late summer and spent some time at Gordon, Stewart, and Hunter AAF during my time. Probably at least a year or more in Georgia.

+

Posts: 2838 | Location: Unass the AO | Registered: December 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I was hoping I could figure it out, but I'm gonna have to ask: what does LDA mean, in your context? I know it as linear danger area, which is not how you're using it.

I don't care for a belt. My chest rig has my fighting basics, and my water is such that it can be carried without the pack.

I have a smoke device, but the ones like it that I have tried are quite lackluster. It can serve as a signal or a distraction, but certainly not concealment. I know smoke is and has been used during maneuvers, but I have also read Vietnam-era SF documents that say "smoke isn't for fighting", so it's best use for me is undecided, at this point in time.

Coordinating with other folks is the hang-up. There are like minded people in my area, but we're all regular-type working people with families. It's difficult to get together; let alone with enough frequency to make confident progress in training tactics. It's more-or-less back to square one every time we co-locate.

Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
quote:
Can you share that loadout?

Happily, but I think we both understand that your goals are different from my own, in that I'm just looking to put down some miles in the woods for a long weekend, so while my loadout may provide some ideas, it definitely isn't going to do everything that you're looking to do. I have some experience with the hiking/backpacking stuff, so I can speak to that…not so much the military aspect.

All of my gear travels in a Kelty Redwing 44 backpack and a Hill People Gear medium "original" kit bag. The Kelty isn't a super advanced or high dollar rig (iirc we got it on sale for $50), but it's lightweight, has a convenient layout, and has held up well to 8-9 years of use, both on the trail and international air travel.

Sleep and Shelter:
I have a cheap foam sleeping pad that I roll up and strap to the molle on the bottom of the pack. It’s light, inexpensive, and can’t be popped like an inflatable. It also provides adequate insulation from the ground, a lesson that I learned the hard way after a nearly hypothermic night where I tried to go without one in the Bighorn mountains one June.

Kelty Cosmic 20 Synthetic sleeping bag, size long - Another consumer-grade Kelty product that has served me well. It’s warm, reasonably small and light at around 2lbs, and big enough for a dude who’s 6’5”, which isn’t an easy thing to find. I keep this inside a large trash bag inside my pack to protect it from rain…that trash bag is an awesome thing to have handy and can be used for a bunch of other things in a pinch.

River Country 2-person trekking pole tent - Cheap buy off of amazon ($50, IIRC), but with a few minor modifications it provides adequate shelter, is only 2lbs, takes up minimal space in my pack, and in conjunction with my trekking poles or sticks, can be pitched anywhere that there’s dirt. It has held surprisingly well through some significant weather, my only real complaint is that I had to add some venting and usually sleep with the flap open when I can (it also has bug mesh, so you’re not completely exposed) as it likes to collect condensation. It’s tight with 2 people, but very comfortable with one, and is also long enough to easily accommodate my excessive tallness. NOTE: I wouldn’t fault taking an appropriately-sized, lightweight tarp in addition to a tent…shelter is an area that you don’t want to skimp or take chances, especially if you can’t plan around the weather.

A ground cloth just larger than the footprint of my tent made from a scrap piece of Tyvek Homewrap. It works, is lightweight, and fits in the bag with the tent. The tent bag combined with a length of string and a high branch doubles as a bear bag in places where that’s required. I actually carry kite string instead of paracord because it’s lighter and less bulky.

Clothing:
This is clearly weather dependent, but if there’s any chance of cold or inclement weather, I pack the thermals. Freezing sucks. I also don’t hike in the dead of winter, so if you’re trying to prepare for that, you’d clearly need more, heavier stuff, but for high 20s and above I’ve been fine with the following (in addition to what I’m wearing, which is weather appropriate):

2 Pairs of Darn Tough wool socks (gotta take care of your feet)
1 Pair Exofficio underwear
Thermal long-johns both upper and lower for sleeping
Lightweight shorts for sleeping or swimming/bathing.
Puffy Jacket

All of this lives in a dry bag inside my pack which is compressible, and doubles as my pillow at night. I usually don’t bring an extra shirt or pants (sometimes a shirt, pretty much never pants)…everything gets dirty on the trail anyway, and if it gets bad enough and I have time I’ll wash it in a creek while I wear my sleeping gear. Everything I wear on the trail is wool or synthetic, so it wicks moisture and dries fast.

I had been using a Frog Toggs poncho for rain, but found that I really hate it. Usually rain comes with wind and that stupid thing blows all over the place and you end up getting soaked. My wife bought me a Columbia rain jacket for Christmas that I’m planning to replace that with, but aside from a few evening walks in the neighborhood I haven’t had a chance to get it out and really test it yet. I’m also considering something for my lower half, but haven’t found the right solution yet.

Other Gear:

In the pack:
Leatherman Wave
Fire starting kit in a ziplock bag with a couple of lighters, matches, and dryer lint.
Very basic first-aid kit (Tourniquet, some gauze, a few bandaids, tape, aspirin, a partial tube of triple antibiotic ointment)
Streamlight Macrostream (Can be clipped to my hat bill to serve as a headlamp as necessary)
Basic toiletries and disposable wipes.
Plastic Spork
1 complete reload for whatever gun I’m carrying.
A pair of water/camp shoes clipped to the outside of the pack with a small carabiner (I have some cheap neoprene sock type things with a rubber outsoles…they weigh less than a pound, even in my size 13) to protect my feet and keep my shoes dry in water crossings, and let the feet air out at camp.
If I can fish where I’m hiking, a lightweight 2-piece rod and reel. I don’t typically eat my catch on my trips, but I’ve done well enough at the fishing in some of the places I’ve been that I could have easily sustained myself that way if necessary.

In the kit bag on my chest for ready access:
Compass
Fishing lures (location dependent)
Paper Maps (If I can get a good NatGeo or USGS map I will, but a lot of times the trails I hike I’m limited to what I can find online. I’ll print them out and run them through the laminator….can’t have your map dissolving on you. I also put a digital copy on my phone, which is usually off or on airplane mode to save battery).
Cell Phone
Handgun (Either a 3” .357 Magnum, 2.75” .44 Magnum, or P250 Compact)
Small fixed-blade knife
Insulin, blood sugar monitor, lancets, and test strips (the joys of type 1 diabetes)

Hydration:
Water purifying tablets AND Sawyer squeeze filter (the tiny weight of the tablets is worth the redundancy, IMO)
2 1.5L SmartWater bottles for water…one for dirty and the other for filtered.

Food:
As mentioned above, I’m type 1 diabetic, so I have to be really careful about carbs. I’m on a perpetual Keto diet. Unfortunately, most purpose-made backpacking food is pretty carb heavy which is a PITA for me, but should be fine for you. If you don’t mind carrying a stove there are excellent freeze-dried options on there that are lightweight, shelf-stable, and way better than MRE fare. I’m not a big fan of stoves, so even before I got sick I usually just ate cold food, or cooked lentils and jerky over a fire in a cup. These days I do the following (items that come in bulky packaging get re-packaged in ziplock bags to reduce space consumption):

For meals it’s trail tacos:
Pack of Zero-Net Carb Tortillas
Beef Jerky
Hard cheese like smoked Cheddar or Parmesan (the drier the better, usually good for 3-4 days, sometimes longer)
Fresh Onions
Fresh Peppers (Jalapenos or “lunchbox peppers” that we grow in our garden)

Breakfast:
Granola (Sparingly due to carb content and pre-mixed with cinnamon…mix in a few wild blueberries if you can find them). Before da ‘beetus it was granola bars or fig bars.

Snack:
Mixed Nuts (Before I got da ‘beetus it was full-on trail mix…you can go a long way on that stuff and it keeps forever)
A small bag of Jolly Ranchers in case I need some quick sugar for any reason.

Oh, I also use trekking poles…I used to think they were for sissies and old people, but have found that they help bear the load across your body on the flats and uphills, save your knees on the downhills, and help immensely with stability in water crossings. They also double as my tent poles, so they save weight and space in my pack.

I think that’s everything…I’m doing it from memory, so I may have forgotten something.

As far as redundancy in you listed kit, there are a few things I’m seeing that wouldn’t necessarily impact your intended goals:

You listed a Balaclava, Beanie, and Nightcap…I’d pick one.
You have a weapon cleaning kit in both bags. Pick one (and make it a minimalist one with only the necessaries, like lube. Your guns will run a long time dirty, and you can clean them thoroughly when you get home).
Your fire starting kit is very robust, but some of those options are probably unnecessary and add weight.
Cable Cutters and Multi-Tool. I’d stick with the multi-tool and make it do double-duty as a cable-cutter…could even select one that is appropriate to this purpose…unless of course your specific intent is to be out cutting cables in which case a dedicated tool might be desirable.
Shop Towels - Leave ‘em home and wipe it on your shirt or a leaf. You’re in the woods, it’ll be ok.
Literature/notebook/reference material…consolidate as much as possible.
2 pairs of gloves, light and heavy…decide what you absolutely need and pick one
You list a number of types of specialized bags/baggies…I’d suggest that a couple of trash bags might serve you just as well, and be more compact and versatile. You can even get yellow industrial ones that could replace the signaling panels if necessary.

Obviously our goals and needs are different, and you know your situation better than I do, but I’d just take a long hard look at your gear and try to decide what you can live without, what can serve adequately in multiple roles, and what you absolutely need to include.

Another quick consideration, the more stuff you take with you, the larger footprint you’re going to leave. You’re likely to miss small pieces of trash or other packaging when you move positions, especially related to food and meal prep. Every bit of packaging I open goes into the designated trash bag as soon as it’s unpackaged. Leave No Trace isn’t just good resource stewardship in the backcountry, it’s also good operational security.

Posts: 8401 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I hear you, on the sleeping pad. Something between you and the ground is essential. I have used foam and inflatable, and opt for inflatable now, for the space savings; the puncture risk is something I am aware of.

Rain protection is tricky. I opt for a poncho because it's big enough to cover my pack, chest rig, weapon, etc. It presents it's own challenges, when it comes to using worn equipment, so practice with the poncho is a good thing occasionally. The wind problem you mention can definitely be a real thing though.

Your mention of water shoes and the neoprene socks represents something I wrestled with for a while, and eventually gave up on. You can't hardly go two miles in any direction, where I live, without having to cross flowing water of some sort; it's often too wide to jump, and hunting down "nice" spots to cross can be a huge waste of time. I thought I had it figured out, with some relatively affordable knee-high "overshoes", but they just weren't tough enough, and only survived two or three crossings, before springing a significant leak. So, I have resigned myself to wet feet, mitigated by extra socks and insoles. So long as the weather is warm, it's sustainable; chillier temps present a real problem though. Removing boots, and donning some alternative crossing footwear, isn't really an option, in the context of a patrol.

Thank you for sharing your list. I find the most inspiration in your food recommendations.

Concerning your recommendations for reductions of my inventory: The nightcap is a night vision mount headgear, so it isn't a redundancy, when compared to the beanie and balaclava. I'd do well to jettison the balaclava though. I do need to revisit my weapon cleaning kits; they're almost more of "I have it because I feel I ought to" type thing; I generally agree with your assessment of weapon maintenance. I have the cable cutters as a stand-alone tool because where I live has been farm and pastureland for generations, and there's fences friggen everywhere. Any amount of overland travel, in a real SHTF scenario that has you not giving a dang, will require you to defeat numerous fence obstacles, lest you waste a lot of time and effort going over, under, or around. I'll keep the paper towels around; I am particular about a clean behind; it's a morale thing. The light gloves are for warmth; the heavy gloves are leather, and pull double duty as an extra layer for warmth, and a protective layer in dealing with wire obstacles or using climbing rope. I use the contractor trash bags like you do, and have an orange one, like you mention, in my vehicle. One thing I have been considering lately, though, is how noisy those plastic bags are, when used as a pack liner, when you're going in and out of your pack.

Thank you 92fstech, for sharing your list, and making suggestions for mine. I appreciate the feedback.

Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
Cool, I'm glad it provided some useful ideas. I'm with you on the noise from the trash bags...they also have an annoying tendency to jam in the pack zippers if you're not careful.

To be clear, I wasn't suggesting that you wipe your ass on your shirt. I'll tolerate some lapses in hygiene on the trail, but I don't get that gross Big Grin. I thought the shop towels were for gun cleaning and wiping off lube...I completely understand and appreciate the desire for a clean ass Big Grin. I carry biodegradable disposable wipes myself...they can be used for asswipes or a quick face, pits, and crotch bath...in that order of course.

When it comes to water crossings, you've gotta do what you've gotta do. Personally, I hate having wet feet, and will go to extreme lengths to keep them dry. As a diabetic it's extra important for me as if I get blisters or other foot abrasions, it could go septic very easily. But clearly the needs of the situation have to dictate the approach.

posted Hide Post
LDA is a local deployment area. In Germany we had LDAs assigned to each unit that were within 30 miles or so of their home base. In the event of a massive attack, we were to roll out to the LDA to get all the unit assets off base and out into the field.

+

posted Hide Post
quote:
you've gotta do what you've gotta do. Personally, I hate having wet feet

Man, I friggen hate it too; it is a very aggravating aspect of my area. My friends and I have found that, in addition to the extra time spent, seeking a crossing point that favors dryness, you often compromise safety, in that effort to stay dry; especially if your group covers a wide spectrum of age and/or physical conditions and abilities. Sometimes that wide, sandy bottom that has you submerged to your thighs is the best bet, when compared to balancing or hopping across logs or rocks, and risking injury. It pretty much all sucks. Carrying an extra pair of boots/socks, and having the discipline to switch back and forth between the two pairs, is really the only sure-fire method.

quote:
LDA is a local deployment area

Got it. That's the functional impression I got, from your earlier comments, but I couldn't figure out the exact word/letter associations.

posted Hide Post
Keeping your feet in good shape is the most important hygiene thing in the field. Nothing is worse than cold wet frost bit feet. That is miserable in the field.

+