SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Competition, Training and Regional Shoots    Is anyone shooting the Berry’s Steel Open?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Is anyone shooting the Berry’s Steel Open? Login/Join 
Inject yourself!
posted
I decide to give it a try. I really like steel matches and the speed in which you can move through as a squad.

I’ll be throwing lots of rounds in the berm. I’ve never shot a Polish Plate rack or Texas Star so it will be a good time. I need to find some of those video camera glasses I think!

Do not send me to a heaven where there are no dogs.
Step Up or Stand Aside: Support the Troops !
Expectations are premeditated disappointments.

Posts: 8343 | Location: West | Registered: November 26, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Inject yourself!
posted Hide Post
This was a fun match. All steel with field courses like a regular USPSA match, static like a Steel Challenge Stage and then Par time where you get 30 seconds or so to shoot what you can.

I placed way low as expected but it was fun. Lots of targets I’ve not shot before. Texas Star, Polish Plate Rack, in-line plate rack and spinners. Both a two paddle spinner and a spinner with multiple plates that rotated like a a paddle wheel and you were in line with instead of to the side like the Texas Star.

Held at the Southern Utah Practical Shooting Range where Tactical Performance Center is located and hosts many matches. They are hosting the HiCap Nationals this year. Good lunch offered, plenty of water and ports johns. 20 stages, 10 per day. Starting at 8am and our squad ended about 330 both days. It was listed as a 650rd match, I fired probably 850 with the make up shots and the trying to get the spinners over.

Looking forward to next year.

Posts: 8343 | Location: West | Registered: November 26, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It was a fun match. Not very low-cap division friendly. I shot it in Production several years ago, and I enjoyed it this time with carry optics more. I did slightly better than expected on field and SC stages but that is not much still. The ProAm stages have always been a pain for me, and this wasn't an exception.

Posts: 481 | Registered: April 03, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Inject yourself!
posted Hide Post
PaR time stages were interesting. Fun, but I’d prefer a field course with no time at my current level.

Lots to work on. I cussed a few times wishing I had my 40 but it was really just marginal hits. I’m not sure a 40 would power over a spinner if you shoot it out of phase any more than a 9. I had 4 solid hits on a spinner that just held in place instead of letting it swing and then hit it going away. Excitement got me.

And the 50yrd steel was a first.

I was happy I hit the Satins target in one shot though. That and that little green popper that blended with the berm.

Inject yourself!
posted Hide Post
While it was not very lowcap division friendly, watching the fast single stack guys run stages was humbling.

I want to try an open gun though too.

posted Hide Post
I didn't have problems with 50 yard steel (carry optics/dot help) or spinners. I shot them with 124 gr +P HST, one went very well, another could've been better, and I skipped other two (which was a mistake but that's the experience with par time stages). Didn't have issues with green mini, but Satin's took three shots. Annoying. Outside of the par time thing, discipline, mindset and movement have dented my scores.

Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Riley:
While it was not very lowcap division friendly, watching the fast single stack guys run stages was humbling.

Last year, at the Prescott club I shoot at, I watched Nils Jonasson take top score overall in their USPSA match. He was shooting single stack, and beat out several Masters and GMs who were shooting Limited and Open. His reloads are almost invisible.

When in doubt, mumble

Posts: 10782 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Inject yourself!
posted Hide Post
Nils was in the bay behind ours once or twice and the rate of fire was crazy. He was shooting an open gun and took second overall, behind one of the TPC instructors shooting a PCC.

posted Hide Post
It is humbling and inspiring to see any great shooter shoot, regardless of a division, although I remain lukewarm, at best, about PCC.
Anyway, I am looking forward to Magnus Cup at the same range three weeks from now, hoping to carry on the momentum I had on time+ stages of Berry's. Without forgetting to reload the gun, running like a retard, and occasionally fishing for a dot...

Inject yourself!
posted Hide Post
I’d like to get a PCC but only for PCC matches.

Mangus didn’t work out for me but I’ll be down for HiCap Nationals in September.