New
Find
Notify
Tools

Shot Timers. Login/Join 
Picture of T.Webb
posted
Hi all,
I'm thinking about getting a shot timer to use as a training aid. At my range, the competition R/O's all use the PACT III timer. I'm currently thinking of getting this one ($130.00 on Amazon) , but I'm wondering if A) there's any difference between a training and competition timer? And B) if there's anything better out there.

Thanks in advance.

"Tonight, we are a country awakened to danger and called to defend freedom. Our grief has turned to anger and anger to resolution. Whether we bring our enemies to justice or bring justice to our enemies, justice will be done". {George W. Bush, Post 9/11}

Posts: 842 | Location: Long Island, N.Y. / Stephentown, N.Y. | Registered: March 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diablo Blanco
Picture of dking271
posted Hide Post
I have been using PACT III for years and have been completely satisfied with its performance for my needs. I also use a shot timer app on my iPhone that I downloaded for indoor dry fire practice. I can’t say if there is something better on the market, but the PACT does everything I ask of it for my practice sessions and it’s very easy to use.

Posts: 2928 | Location: Middle-TN | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
If you want another to consider, I have had the Competition Electronics Pocket Pro II for several years and have been happy with it. I had a couple of CED timers before and their biggest disadvantage was that they would pick up sound echoes from wet or snow-covered ground. The PP II can be set to ignore very short splits and eliminate that problem.

It looks like the display of the PP II has been changed, possibly to show the individual shot times separately and in a larger font rather than in a small list, and that would be an advantage over the one I have. Otherwise it does everything I want.

One thing I definitely advise in a shot timer for individual use is for it to use a standard, nonrechargeable battery. The 9v battery in the PP II lasts literally for months with frequent use, and when it finally dies it can be replaced at the range in a minute or two.

6.4/93.6

“Most men … can seldom accept the simplest and most obvious truth if it … would oblige them to admit the falsity of conclusions … which they have woven, thread by thread, into the fabrics of their lives.”
— Leo Tolstoy

Posts: 47356 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Expert308
posted Hide Post
I have an older CED timer that I bought when I was shooting USPSA back in the mid `80's, and it still works fine. The only thing I don't like about it is in order to change the battery you have to remove the whole back of it, which entails unscrewing four screws.

Posts: 7241 | Location: Idaho | Registered: February 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have a competition electronics pocket pro II, works fine.

I mostly use it as a beeper.

Posts: 6650 | Registered: September 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Down the Rabbit Hole
Picture of Jupiter
posted Hide Post
I started out with a Pact Timer/Chrono. It's been a great timer. Never had an issue. I bought a CED 8000 years later because of the smaller footprint. I've been very happy with both.

Diligentia, Vis, Celeritas

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf."
-- George Orwell

Posts: 4823 | Location: North Mississippi | Registered: August 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
I have used all of them. Pick one. I don’t recommend using phone apps for live fire.

www.opspectraining.com

"It's a bold strategy, Cotton. Let's see if it works out for them"

Posts: 37071 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Deal In Lead
Picture of Flash-LB
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jljones:
I have used all of them. Pick one. I don’t recommend using phone apps for live fire.

I've been using a shot timer app on my iPhones for a long time with no problems, so I'm curious. Why don't you recommend them?

Posts: 10626 | Location: Gilbert Arizona | Registered: March 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Down the Rabbit Hole
Picture of Jupiter
posted Hide Post
^^^^^^^^^^
In years past, they were totally unreliable and a waste of time.
Glad to see you've had better luck. Which one are you using?

Diligentia, Vis, Celeritas

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf."
-- George Orwell

Posts: 4823 | Location: North Mississippi | Registered: August 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Deal In Lead
Picture of Flash-LB
posted Hide Post
Oddly enough, it's the one called Shot Timer.

Posts: 10626 | Location: Gilbert Arizona | Registered: March 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
CED 7000 or AMG Lab Commander both have many features like par times, volume, sensitivity, etc. that will help you with your training

Posts: 105 | Location: Texas | Registered: March 06, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
Looking into shot timers a few years back, I settled on the PACT Club Timer III.

Can't say anything good or bad about it because the purpose to which I intended to put it has not presented itself. (When we go up north to a best friend's property we always mean to get some shooting in, but it somehow hasn't happened for quite some time--except for shoe-horning in a bit of time just before leaving.)

ETA:

Instead of again RTFM'ing about how to use my shot timer, I decided to check YouTube for "How To" videos. This one I thought was pretty good:

This message has been edited. Last edited by: ensigmatic,

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 25987 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post