SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Competition, Training and Regional Shoots    New IDPA Rule Book in effect June 1, 2022
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

New IDPA Rule Book in effect June 1, 2022 Login/Join 
Picture of RichardC
posted
https://www.idpa.com/new-ruleb...quipment-appendices/

Posted March 14, 2022 by
Chris Schmied

"We will expect all matches to be run under the new rulebook effective June 1, 2022. We are making changes to the website to accommodate the new rules and guidelines and will be sharing more about that information soon.

https://www.idpa.com/wp-conten...book-Update-deck.pdf

A few highlights

• IWB rules have been modified to allow for appendix carry

• PCC10 was added as an optional 10 round subdivision of PCC

• SSP division capacity increased to 15 rounds
• CCP division capacity increased to 10 rounds

Allowed:
• Disabling storage locks and/or magazine disconnects
• Disabling slide stops
• Lasers and/or lights, provided the firearm otherwise conforms

Equipment Changes - Holsters
• Drop and offset now allowed subject to cover garment rules

Concealment Garment
• Must hide all gear from any direction
• This includes through mesh material
• If the SO sees your gear it is not concealed
This includes peeking out the bottom!
Test performed from “arms raised parallel to ground” position

Life's been good to me so far

Posts: 15832 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Our club and a couple of others in the area have decided for now no PCC and no Apendix carry in our IDPA matches.

We will work through and live with the rest of the changes.

I just don't appreciate them making it even harder for me to beat those bottom feeders with my 6 shot revolver.

Of course when I do start winning again with my revolver, it will make it even more enjoyable.

RC

Posts: 1938 | Location: Indiana | Registered: March 17, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
PCC is perhaps one of the most growing events. What makes you guys decide to say no?

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 10966 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by hrcjon:
PCC is perhaps one of the most growing events. What makes you guys decide to say no?

At this time the club and our staff have safety concerns

And

We do not have enough staff who were comfortable with running a PCC shooter or an appendix carry shooter to incorporate it into the match.

I really believe it's not the experienced shooter they are worried about, as much as the new shooter or casual shooter of which we get quite a few, that fueled the concerns.

RC

Posts: 1938 | Location: Indiana | Registered: March 17, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
allowing appendix is dumb IMO, its a real mess to RSO. But the rifles I personally consider way less risk all around than pistols based on my time running matches.

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 10966 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
OK to discard an empty magazine with a round in the chamber; what I call the Cooper Reload.

I will shoot SSP - 15 tomorrow to see what difference it makes... and what difference the MD has made in stages.

Posts: 3277 | Location: Florence, Alabama, USA | Registered: July 05, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I tried a couple of local matches under the new
rules recently.

It appears carry optic is the most popular division everyone wants to shoot

With SSP increasing to 15 rds
And
CCP to 10 rounds

These changes may encourage some of the Carry Optic shooters to move to SSP or CCP and shoot the less populated divisions.

I just plan on shooting old school again this year (Revolver).

With the new rule changes, it's even harder to win a stage or a match with the Revolver, but with the right stages, and the Sun at the right angle, I plan on giving them a good run for the money.

RC

Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
When I hear clubs that have such a phobia of appendix carry amaze me. Gun owners that ban other gun owners from possessing a piece of gear at matches......because of what a few may do.

Man, where have I heard that kind of logic from....

www.opspectraining.com

"It's a bold strategy, Cotton. Let's see if it works out for them"

Posts: 37071 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
I am glad to see the capacity limits raised.

I would like to see IDPA allow you to abandon a partially empty magazine. Or a compromise rule - permit a shooter to drop a magazine with two rounds in it (or some other low number), as that seems tactically sound. I do understand that in a "real" gunfight, you might rarely drop a mag with six or seven in it, but might in a scenario where you know that will give you a time advantage.

And I don't see understand the "safety" fears over either appendix carry and carbines. Especially carbines. I ran three gun matches for quite a few years, and those are easier to handle safely. I would guess is it just fear and hesitancy of the unknown.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53116 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
As an outsider, I think it's a mistake. Stop changing the game.

I'd like to see USPSA set the rules back about 10 or more years.

Posts: 21039 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
Why? Shouldn’t a sport that is supposedly concealed carry based actually reflect concealed carry trends? Up till now, IDPA rules like the 10 round magazine was nothing but “see, we not USPSA but we are just like USPSA”. Or more likely “we have stupid rules like 10 round magazines, stupid vests that no one wears, and strong side only holsters to prove we’re not USPSA”

www.opspectraining.com

"It's a bold strategy, Cotton. Let's see if it works out for them"

Posts: 37071 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jljones:
Up till now, IDPA rules like the 10 round magazine was nothing but “see, we not USPSA but we are just like USPSA”.

And now they're MORE like USPSA. Smile

Personally I'm against upping capacity because it seems to be the it's only purpose is to make things easier. Like the trend in USPSA, so many people want everything easier. Yuck.
"I don't want to reload so much". Roll Eyes (I watch people shoot Limited and Open and think "man that looks boring")

They want to make everything easier and make the "divisions" more and more similar, which ya know, is kind of contrary to the point of having divisions, no?

Not against things like the slide stop etc. I can give lights and lasers a pass in IDPA. Though it irks me in USPSA.

(I have a couple young friends I tease every chance I get, about adding gamer weights to their "gamer guns" (flashlights on their Glocks) "You have a flashlight on your gun... and you're wearing sunglasses? You obviously don't need both of those." Wink
It's not your carry gun, it's not a duty gun, it's not your house gun. Why does a gun you only shoot outside in broad daylight need a flashlight? (cough)gamer gun(cough) You put it on your gun to add weight gamer, stop pretending otherwise! Big Grin Whenever they share a video I'll jab em, (full blindingly bright summer day) "looks dark, good thing you had your flashlight". Big Grin lol But I'm way off course.)

Posts: 21039 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Casuistic Thinker and Daoist
Picture of 9mmepiphany
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RC:
I tried a couple of local matches under the new
rules recently.

It appears carry optic is the most popular division everyone wants to shoot

With SSP increasing to 15 rds
And
CCP to 10 rounds

These changes may encourage some of the Carry Optic shooters to move to SSP or CCP and shoot the less populated divisions.

My first sanctioned match under the new rule book with be at the WA State match at the end of the month. CO shooters still seem to be the largest division(66 shooters) as opposed to SSP with 36...might change when you finish 5th in CO SS and still get a match bump (only take beating 5 to bump under the new rules)

Not also raising the Division capacity of CO didn't make any sense until someone pointed out how many CO shooters have their optic mounted on a 1911. The same applies to ESP, which still has the 10-rds capacity, becauise of how many ESP shooters are shooting 9mm 1911s

quote:
I just plan on shooting old school again this year (Revolver).

With the new rule changes, it's even harder to win a stage or a match with the Revolver, but with the right stages, and the Sun at the right angle, I plan on giving them a good run for the money.

I started the year shooting ESP with my S&W M&P9 with Apex Tactical enhancements, but a stage win is much harder against a SSP shooter loaded with 16 to start.

I went back to Revolver with my Apex tuned 686 for WA with the possibility of finally getting a match bump

No, Daoism isn't a religion

Posts: 14174 | Location: northern california | Registered: February 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My local club doesn't allow AIWB for safety concerns. They also don't allow PCC, but at least they're honest in saying they don't allow it because they don't like it. Not a good reason, but at I can respect them being up front about it.

Really, PCC is probably safer than anything else. The majority of AD's resulting in injury I've heard of happened drawing or holstering, two things PCC shooters never do.

Posts: 5 | Registered: May 26, 2022Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
quote:
Why? Shouldn’t a sport that is supposedly concealed carry based actually reflect concealed carry trends? Up till now, IDPA rules like the 10 round magazine was nothing but “see, we not USPSA but we are just like USPSA”. Or more likely “we have stupid rules like 10 round magazines, stupid vests that no one wears, and strong side only holsters to prove we’re not USPSA”

Wasn't the 10 round rule meant to "match" states with 10 round magazine limits? It was supposed to be more "real world," since some people could only have ten rounders. But I agree, it is still a dumb rule. I am happy to see it changed.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53116 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 9mmepiphany
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jhe888:
quote:

Wasn't the 10 round rule meant to "match" states with 10 round magazine limits? It was supposed to be more "real world," since some people could only have ten rounders. But I agree, it is still a dumb rule. I am happy to see it changed.

That was my understanding also

Posts: 14174 | Location: northern california | Registered: February 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 9mmepiphany
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Racinready300ex:
My local club doesn't allow AIWB for safety concerns. They also don't allow PCC, but at least they're honest in saying they don't allow it because they don't like it. Not a good reason, but at I can respect them being up front about it.

Really, PCC is probably safer than anything else. The majority of AD's resulting in injury I've heard of happened drawing or holstering, two things PCC shooters never do.

The only AD of a PCC I've ever seen in a match from an experienced (not a newbie) shooter was a round over the berm when they didn't get their finger off the trigger while moving. Newer shooters have to clear tight cover a bit more to allow for the longer barrel.

One of our local PCC shooters made DM last year at the IDPA Nationals. PCC has a tendency to shame CO shooters when they compare times

posted Hide Post
9mmepiphiny

How did the Washington State IDPA match go?

Did you get your match bump?

The new rule book, does not appear to have any loopholes that Revolver shooters can game and take advantage of.

RC

Picture of 9mmepiphany
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RC:
9mmepiphiny

How did the Washington State IDPA match go?

Did you get your match bump?

The new rule book, does not appear to have any loopholes that Revolver shooters can game and take advantage of.

Thanks for asking, it went pretty well. Not as smoothly as I had hoped, I really had to work for it.

There were 3 other MM and 3 SS registered...plus a NV.(big field at 8) So to get a match bump, I needed to beat all the MM and a couple of the SS...I could get a bump without wining the division.

I had a solid first day and looked to be a solid 3rd (behind 2 guys who had already shot), with a little push I should have been able to catch one of the 2 guys ahead of me. The guy behind me had other ideas and kept nipping at my heels. After a Crash-n-Burn stage I figured I'd be lucky to come in 4th. But gathering myself and not giving up got me the "W" at the end of the day.

I beat all the Revolver shooters at the match and took home a Division Championship...and the engraved hatchet that the division winner gets in WA instead of a plaque.

Now on to the Nationals in September in CO to see where I stand against shooters in other states

Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post
Good work, 9mmepiphany!

That hatchet award sounds unique. Got a photo?

Life's been good to me so far

Posts: 15832 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post