SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Competition, Training and Regional Shoots    Steel Challenge red dot advice please.
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Steel Challenge red dot advice please. Login/Join 
Where there's smoke,
there's fire!!
Picture of techguy
posted
I want to start shooting my Ruger MK4 22/45 Lite in Steel Challenge and I’m thinking of putting a Cmore Slide Ride red dot on it. What do you guys think? I’ve never shot in the Steel Challenge competition but have been viewing some videos online and have reached out to the director of the place closest to me to get involved.

Posts: 1773 | Location: Kentucky | Registered: February 16, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Have at it. you will have a blast. Steel challenge in rimfire is just about the lowest stress competition item you can do. No reloads on the clock, no holster manipulation. Have enough mags is really the only equipment need. The Cmore is not my favorite dot these days, but for a long time it was the one of choice for many serious competitors.

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 11002 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Where there's smoke,
there's fire!!
Picture of techguy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by hrcjon:
Have at it. you will have a blast. Steel challenge in rimfire is just about the lowest stress competition item you can do. No reloads on the clock, no holster manipulation. Have enough mags is really the only equipment need. The Cmore is not my favorite dot these days, but for a long time it was the one of choice for many serious competitors.

What red dot would you recommend?

Posts: 1773 | Location: Kentucky | Registered: February 16, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I currently run an MRO on my Ruger. but in practical terms it doesn't matter much, if at all. Big window but small dot on the MRO. If I was out to buy something tomorrow I would probably get an rmr as dot size matters a bit on these close speed events and an RM07 is probably about the optimum. But every bodies preference differs. Mount up your cmore and go have fun! I have a zillion red dots and when you get to the bottom of the whole thing I shoot them all about the same. I like the RMR on slide mounted guns but after that its what works and I have around.

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 11002 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I use a Vortex Viper 6 MOA Red Dot Sight on my BuckMark. I think the aftermarket mounts now available for the 22/45 will allow you to bring optics like the Viper, RMR, etc. closer to the bore than a Slide Ride.

Posts: 19 | Registered: October 02, 2022Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Both of these two mounts are compatible with a multitude of optics. They would be my top picks;

https://outerimpact.com/shop/r...works-many-red-dots/

https://www.tandemkross.com/sh...t_v2-ruger-mkiv-2245

Posts: 19 | Registered: October 02, 2022Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Inject yourself!
posted Hide Post

C-More red dot with an 8MOA dot. I find it’s one of the few that has a big enough and bright enough dot for me on Steel Challenge. I might like a 12 MOA dot but they’re expensive to change. I use. Adjustment screws are somewhat less robust but hold well. Uses a 1/3N battery, same as my Aimpoint PRO on my carbine so that’s nice.

This Ruger has a few mods.
Volquartsen trigger kit
TandemKross bolt handle
Nordic Corvette comp from an AR-15. Mostly for a little more muzzle weight and noise to help the timer pick up the shots.

Do not send me to a heaven where there are no dogs.
Step Up or Stand Aside: Support the Troops !
Expectations are premeditated disappointments.

Posts: 8343 | Location: West | Registered: November 26, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
All my steel challenge shooting with pistols is still with iron sights. I very much enjoy it, and usually find myself in the middle of the pack standings wise, with a good number of the red dot shooters behind me

Posts: 3287 | Location: Finally free in AZ! | Registered: February 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post