SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    What defines a " Tuxedo Gun" ?
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What defines a " Tuxedo Gun" ? Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
“Tuxedo gun” implies that some level of elegance is required. While a PPK is the classic choice, I’ll nominate the Seecamp LWS-32.

My several PPK and PPK/s pistols were not very reliably performers, tending to fail to feed, so, were disappointing.

To be fair, some early Seecamps tended to break, including both of my mid-Eighies LWS-25 pistols, but were improved, at least in the LWS-32 line, in that regard, by a certain serial number range, and, importantly, Seecamps tend to feed reliably. (Sorry, I no longer recall which serial numbers indicate the improved pistols.)

Have Colts, will travel

Posts: 3188 | Location: SE Texas | Registered: April 08, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My current tuxedo gun candidates are my Sig P230 in .32acp or the often forgotten Sig P290RS in 9mm.

Posts: 809 | Location: Georgia | Registered: August 16, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Benderx4
posted Hide Post
It's got to be chromed or polished stainless, right?

Posts: 490 | Location: NE FL, JAX | Registered: July 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Citadel
posted Hide Post
Class?

Posts: 823 | Registered: February 20, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ripley
posted Hide Post
Colt Gov't .380 -- I had to trade this flawed gun and hated losing it.

Set the controls for the heart of the Sun.

Posts: 8347 | Location: Flown-over country | Registered: December 25, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
How about a current Beretta Tomcat Covert .32 ACP with a threaded barrel?

Don't those things regularly break? That trait's not particularly elegant.

I think the rather larger Beretta .380s like the one 92fstech proposed back on page 1 of the thread would be way more dashing and debonair, even if it does carry a bit more girth. Although at that size I'd nominate a Wilson EDC X9 3.25" and then get Bill Wilson to delete the equipment rail. Smile

-MG

Posts: 1993 | Location: The commie, rainy side of WA | Registered: April 19, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Giftedly Outspoken
Picture of sigarms229
posted Hide Post
quote:
“Tuxedo gun” implies that some level of elegance is required.

I would agree.

While many have said the Walther PPK/S and on paper it looks like a great choice, I've never had luck with them and the one I've owned was an absolute turd. I did have a Walther PP in 7.65mm many years ago which ran great, but my PPK/S in 9mm kurz (.380) couldn't get through a full magazine without multiple failures.

The only gun's in my inventory that I would consider a "Tuxedo Gun" is my Sig P210 Carry

Sometimes, you gotta roll the hard six

Posts: 4522 | Location: SouthCentral PA | Registered: December 05, 1999Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of wacopolumbo
posted Hide Post
A tuxedo gun should have style to go with compact function. So I will present an often overlooked firearm. Kahr MK9 Elite 03 with factory wood grips…

If you need a little size, you could move up to the K9 Elite 03 similarly dressed…

Regards,
Waco

Learning from my mistakes since 1974...

Posts: 1713 | Location: Yorktown, VA | Registered: July 03, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ripley:
Colt Gov't .380 -- I had to trade this flawed gun and hated losing it.

I had that gun's little brother, the original Colt Mustang.

I remember it as reliable, pleasant to shoot but not very accurate.

It's another gun I should have never traded away.

I was pretty new to pistol shooting at the time. I remember being shocked at how much more accurate the Sig P230 was but also by how much more recoil the P230 generated.

Posts: 462 | Location: Illinois | Registered: June 13, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
A Tuxedo gun would be a true pocket pistol. Walther PPK, Beretta Tomcat, LCP.......IMO......

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
delicately calloused
Picture of darthfuster
posted Hide Post
Were I a tuxedo clad 00, I’d go with a P7

You’re a lying dog-faced pony soldier

Posts: 29702 | Location: Highland, Ut. | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Remember that tux trousers do not have pockets or belt loops. Your option is to sew a holster into a reinforced cummberbund.

Posts: 224 | Location: Nashville, TN | Registered: April 20, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jaysouth:
Remember that tux trousers do not have pockets or belt loops. Your option is to sew a holster into a reinforced cummberbund.

I say old boy, I rather fancy a properly integrated concealed under-the-sleeve holster pocket. Fitted right in underneath that flexible woven body armor in the lining of the coat. Besides, proper undercover tuxedo etiquette requires one to never separate one's self from their jacket during any social affair, no matter how hot and bothered the circumstances may be. After all, one never knows when SPECTRE may decide to crash the soiree and an impertinent and wholly inconvenient gun battle erupts (especially an annoyance when one is busily hitting on that lovely countess at the same time).

All important things to consider, old chap...

-MG

Posts: 1993 | Location: The commie, rainy side of WA | Registered: April 19, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RichardC:
Is a CZ 97BD with Cajun Gun Works mods too large?

Even if in a nicely made OWB sharkskin holster?

(Asking for a friend)

If so, could it still be a BBQ gun?

(Friend called back later)

Doesn’t a tuxedo gun come with a bow tie?

I think that would be the discerning feature.

Posts: 874 | Location: NE Pennsylvania | Registered: December 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of stormin
posted Hide Post
Call me crazy, but I feel like a nice old Smith & Wesson Bodyguard should be part of this discussion. Any Model 38, 49, 638 or 649 in .38 Special would make a fantastic tuxedo gun.

Posts: 331 | Location: Raleigh, NC | Registered: March 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I would say the P938 Legion is the best current production tuxedo gun.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Challer,

Posts: 146 | Registered: August 31, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Caribou gorn
Picture of YellowJacket
posted Hide Post
Folks showing guns in belt loop holsters are in for a rude awakening. A Tux gun needs to be in a shoulder holster or pocket, imo.

I have one of these little cheap Italian .25ACPs that would work. Not expensive but tasteful.

I'm gonna vote for the funniest frog with the loudest croak on the highest log.

Posts: 10487 | Location: Marietta, GA | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jaysouth:

The classic tux rig is a black shoulder holster

Posts: 146 | Registered: August 31, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post