SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Old Colt random gun shop find
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Old Colt random gun shop find Login/Join 
Just mobilize it
posted
While looking for ammo the other day in one of my LGS’s, I ran across a few Colts that were recently traded in per the shop owner. Among them was this pre-war 1940 Colt Detective Special. Upon handling it I immediately had to have it and we agreed on what I felt was a fair price. Condition is definitely worn with some speckling here and there though nothing major and in my opinion wear on the old bluing looks good and most likely has a story or two to tell. This one was seemingly carried a lot and shot very little as the barrel is near pristine and the action is very smooth with minimal wear internally.

I remember back in the mid 90’s seeing the fourth gens with the shrouded ejector and the pachymar rubber grips with the pinky cut out and thinking some day it would be nice to pick one up. Well that never happened and I got into the plastic fantastic striker game for a long time. Nowadays though I find myself liking the older vintage stuff just as much if not more in some cases as I feel these guns are from an era when craftsmanship was just a step above and the attention to fitment and machining was really well done.

When I picked this example up I felt like the rounded grips melted in my hand and it pointed quite naturally for me. The trigger is quite nice both in double and SA as well, maybe under 4# for SA, and although the sights are pretty plain as a trough and post, they line up perfectly and are as good or better than my Smith 642.

This will be a collector piece that will get shot on occasion, but most likely not carried although I could. I was thinking of getting a factory letter from Colt to see it’s initial build and ship history though that’s an extra $75 so we will see.

Post your old Colt wheelguns if you got ‘em, especially the Detective Specials!

Posts: 4608 | Registered: July 24, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Leatherneck
posted Hide Post
Man that’s a cool find. Congratulations on that one!

“Everybody wants a Sig in the sheets but a Glock on the streets.” -bionic218 04-02-2014

Posts: 15249 | Location: Florida | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
Nice roscoe

Posts: 26851 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raptorman
Picture of Mars_Attacks
posted Hide Post
Nice Dick Special!

Eeewwww, don't touch it!
Here, poke at it with this stick.

Posts: 34081 | Location: North, GA | Registered: October 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raptorman
Picture of Mars_Attacks
posted Hide Post

Eeewwww, don't touch it!
Here, poke at it with this stick.

Posts: 34081 | Location: North, GA | Registered: October 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of got2hav1
posted Hide Post
I have a few! This DS is a '67 as I recall.

JEREMIAH 33:3

Posts: 2745 | Location: Eastern NC | Registered: March 14, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ridewv
posted Hide Post
quote:

.....This will be a collector piece that will get shot on occasion, but most likely not carried although I could. I was thinking of getting a factory letter from Colt to see it’s initial build and ship history though that’s an extra $75 so we will see.

Post your old Colt wheelguns if you got ‘em, especially the Detective Specials!

That's a nice acquasition congratulations!
I *thought* I had a Detective Special and went out to take an image to post but I'm embarrassed to admit it is not a Colt rather a S&W. Eek
Good to hear Colt is still doing factory letters because I have been meaning to order one for a revolver I have. It was supposedly ordered from Colt Custom Shop in the early 70's and if so might enhance it's value.

No car is as much fun to drive, as any motorcycle is to ride.

Posts: 7039 | Location: Northern WV | Registered: January 17, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just mobilize it
posted Hide Post
Some good looking Colts in this thread guys! Thanks for the comments!

Picture of photohause
posted Hide Post
Nice old wheel guns guys! Cheers

Don't. drink & drive, don't even putt.

Posts: 1630 | Location:  | Registered: March 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
Nice gun.

I have a Colt Detective Special, the 4th generation model in nickel, but I have no photo.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53117 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hard to find wheel gun. The grips are post WWII as is the ejector rod tip.

Posts: 2 | Registered: February 05, 2022Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just mobilize it
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by hootch56:
Hard to find wheel gun. The grips are post WWII as is the ejector rod tip.

I thought the ejector tip was a replacement. Not sure how or why, but a lot can happen in 80+ years I guess! Anyway I ordered a first gen tip so hopefully it will swap out easily.

As far as the grips I thought they were original. How does the first generation grip differ from the second?

posted Hide Post
Medalions are different, checkering is different, the screw is nickel and the threads where the screw goes is brass. If you go on the Colt Forum, on the detective special photo thread there are tons of 1st generation pics. Your grips were made 1955-1964.

Posts: 2 | Registered: February 05, 2022Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just mobilize it
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by hootch56:
Medalions are different, checkering is different, the screw is nickel and the threads where the screw goes is brass. If you go on the Colt Forum, on the detective special photo thread there are tons of 1st generation pics. Your grips were made 1955-1964.

I will check those pics out thanks.

posted Hide Post
Colt Detective Special 1st series snub nose revolver perfection. When was the hammer shroud introduced?

Posts: 185 | Registered: December 08, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
It's all part of
the adventure...
posted Hide Post
That’s a great find — you did very well!

Regards From Sunny Tucson,
SigFan

NRA Life - IDPA - USCCA - GOA - JPFO - ACLDN - SAF - AZCDL - ASA

"Faith isn't believing that God can; it's knowing that He will." (From a sign on a church in Nicholasville, Kentucky)

Posts: 1677 | Location: Tucson, Arizona | Registered: January 30, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Master of one hand
pistol shooting
Picture of Hamden106
posted Hide Post

SIGnature
NRA Benefactor CMP Pistol Distinguished

Posts: 6295 | Location: Oregon | Registered: September 01, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Each post crafted from
rich Corinthian leather
Picture of TheFrontRange
posted Hide Post
Excellent Colt, OP, as well as others in this thread - very nice! I’m diggin’ the Smith immediately above, too!

"The sea was angry that day, my friends - like an old man trying to send back soup in a deli." - George Costanza

Posts: 6687 | Registered: September 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post