SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    P365 with manual safety review, including velocities.
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

P365 with manual safety review, including velocities. Login/Join 
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sns3guppy:
My only concern would be that the set screw might loosen with vibration when firing ....

I originally anticipated putting thread locker on the screw, but considering the effort I put to trying to loosen it myself, I cannot conceive of how it would loosen on its own.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47366 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Don't Panic
Picture of joel9507
posted Hide Post
quote:
Another thing I discovered is that I cannot rack a closed slide on a seated magazine loaded with 10 rounds. It’s evidently just a hand strength thing

I'm not doubting your data - I'm sure you're correct - but that strikes me as odd. When I take my non-safety P365 to the range, I shoot a mix of 10/12/15 round mags and have perceived no differences in racking them. Next time I go to the range I'll pay closer attention and see if I can notice any differences.

Posts: 15001 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: October 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
I didn't try racking the closed slide on a seated fully-loaded 10-round magazine today, but I need to try it now that the magazines have been stored fully loaded for a time. Perhaps it will be possible now, or perhaps my hands have gotten stronger as well. Wink

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47366 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
Update at end of first post with velocities measured today.

Member!
posted Hide Post
I purchased the standard p365, then later installed the manual safety/frame, however I didn't like the safety lever on the right side as it made the pistol just a bit wider because of the right side lever. I chopped the right side lever off and modified the original frame so now I have a p365 with a safety lever only on the left side and no frame cutout on the right side (where the safety would have stuck through). The levers have nothing to do with the safety's retention onto the frame or FCU, so chopping the lever off wasn't big deal.

Posts: 4340 | Location: Boise, ID USA | Registered: February 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Behold my
Radiance!
Picture of Grayguns
posted Hide Post
Hello! I'm sorry this trigger's overtravel screw was stuck! I guarantee everything for life. While I have no concerns about it shifting on you, I would still prefer to replace it & make it right by you. We've had three such reports out of the many thousands we've offered since I developed our adjustable 365 trigger. Please feel free to contact my CS manager Chris, who will takr care of you. Thank you!
-Bruce

Designer and custom pistolsmith at Grayguns Inc. Privileged to be R&D consultant to the world's greatest maker of fine firearms: SIG SAUER

Visit us at http://opspectraining.com/product-cat/videos/ to order yours, and Thank You for making GGI the leader in custom SIG and HK pistolsmithing and high-grade components.

Bruce Gray, President
Grayguns Inc.
Grayguns.com / 888.585.4729

Posts: 9526 | Location: Reedsport & Spray, Oregon | Registered: October 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
Thank you, Bruce. I of course knew that Grayguns would have taken care of the problem at the time had it brought it to your attention, but because I was in the middle of the project and eager to continue testing the gun without delay, I just decided to correct it myself. Based on my experience with your other products and services I also knew that it was no doubt a highly unusual anomaly. Plus, I don’t expect anyone to accept a return once I’ve started butchering it myself. I was therefore in a quandary about even mentioning the problem in my review, but finally decided that if I was going to mention the trigger at all, that was part of it.

posted Hide Post
Sigfreund,
Thank you for the comprehensive writeup, and thank you for all the velocity data.
Scott

Posts: 826 | Location: Baltimore, MD | Registered: March 29, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
Of possible continuing interest.

Glorious SPAM!
Picture of mbinky
posted Hide Post
Timely bump.

quote:
Speer 124 grain +P Gold Dot hollow point (13 shots for this): 1128 fps (P229: 1206; P226: 1213)

This is what I am currently carrying in my P365. Snappy, but I have been carrying it in smaller guns (sub 4” barrels) for decades and it is accurate and I trust it. For longer barrels (if I carry my Hi Power) it’s 147gr Gold Dot or HST.

quote:
Federal 115 grain +P+, 9BPLE: 1218 fps (P225, 3.9" barrel: 1245)

I have a box of this in the stash. Bought it when trying to get free shipping one day from an online vendor. I know it is an older round but how does it stack up to the newer Gold Dot/HST stuff?

Speed from the 3.1” barrel is impressive.

quote:
The safety lever is ambidextrous and small and unobtrusive. It is nevertheless easy to engage/disengage, and has a very positive feel in both positions.

I originally bought my P365 without a manual safety but added it later to try it. I really like it. It is everything you mention. Best non-1911 thumb safety I have ever used (and one of the few, besides the 1911, that my small carnie hands can easily manipulate). If I get a P365XL it will have a manual safety from the factory.

Posts: 10635 | Registered: June 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Doin' what I can
with what I got
Picture of Rob Decker
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigfreund:
quote:
Originally posted by ARMT Guy:
With the reduced price you paid, was it a Blue Label gun?

No. The prices on the two guns were just what were marked on the shop tags.

I haven’t checked on the availability of that particular model as an individual officer purchase item in quite some time, and just assumed that that would be a futile search now. Even after charging for the gun, tax, and a couple of full price magazines the shop still owed me almost $200 from consignment sales, so it was almost like it was free ( Wink ). I therefore didn’t feel any hesitation in snapping it up.

For future reference, Proven Outfitters has been consistently better about keeping IOP guns (particularly SIG) in stock than most of my other options.

----------------------------------------
Death smiles at us all. Be sure you smile back.

Posts: 5540 | Location: Greater Nashville, TN | Registered: May 11, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Doin' what I can
with what I got
Picture of Rob Decker
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mbinky:
Timely bump.

quote:
Speer 124 grain +P Gold Dot hollow point (13 shots for this): 1128 fps (P229: 1206; P226: 1213)

This is what I am currently carrying in my P365. Snappy, but I have been carrying it in smaller guns (sub 4” barrels) for decades and it is accurate and I trust it. For longer barrels (if I carry my Hi Power) it’s 147gr Gold Dot or HST.

quote:

I have a box of this in the stash. Bought it when trying to get free shipping one day from an online vendor. I know it is an older round but how does it stack up to the newer Gold Dot/HST stuff?

Speed from the 3.1” barrel is impressive.

quote:
The safety lever is ambidextrous and small and unobtrusive. It is nevertheless easy to engage/disengage, and has a very positive feel in both positions.

I originally bought my P365 without a manual safety but added it later to try it. I really like it. It is everything you mention. Best non-1911 thumb safety I have ever used (and one of the few, besides the 1911, that my small carnie hands can easily manipulate). If I get a P365XL it will have a manual safety from the factory.

I have two with the manual safety and I'm in the market for a good deal on a third for good measure. My other guns are jealous and lonely.

----------------------------------------
Death smiles at us all. Be sure you smile back.

Posts: 5540 | Location: Greater Nashville, TN | Registered: May 11, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mbinky:
quote:

I know it is an older round but how does it stack up to the newer Gold Dot/HST stuff?

I prefer the bonded and heavier 124 grain +P Gold Dot for my 9mm carry because I believe it may expand more reliably, but there are still many fans of the 9BPLE. It had a very good reputation back when it was more common. At close to 400 foot-pounds (379) from the short P365 barrel one could do much worse. My favorite Gold Dot runs 350 ft-lb from the P365.

6.4/93.6

— Plato

3° that never cooled
Picture of rock185
posted Hide Post
I guess I am one of those many fans of Federal 9BPLE. I've used in in a variety of 9mm guns over the years. I know it is not the latest and greatest, but like the Federal 9BP, and XM9001, the 9BPLE functions reliably and has proved to be a very accurate round in my guns. BTW, 9BPLE averages 1239 FPS in a 3.5" pistol I have.

NRA Life

Posts: 1561 | Location: Under the Tonto Rim | Registered: August 18, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rob Decker:
For future reference, Proven Outfitters has been consistently better about keeping IOP guns (particularly SIG) in stock than most of my other options.

Good to know; thanks.

Husband, Father, Aggie,
all around good guy!
Picture of HK Ag
posted Hide Post
I dont think I have seen a safety model in person yet. From the pictures here, I like the size of the safety lever. My Gen 1 Shield 9mm w/ safety is quite small by comparison.

I would like to find a larger safety for it.

HK Ag

Posts: 3496 | Location: Tomball, Texas | Registered: August 09, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Banned
posted Hide Post
From an open slide - which is why it has the mag follower lockback - loading the next magazine is easy. No problem.

Loading a mag from a closed slide is a tactical tip for those who counted their rounds and practice it. If the situation requires, then swapping the mag in a lull when nobody is firing restores a full mag to the handgun. This is a close quarters combat technique.

Now, here's one of those tradeoffs when we deliberately choose to use a 10+ round double stack instead of a 6 round single stack - mag springs have to be stiffer pushing up more rounds to feed before the slide passes over missing it. All double stack mags have that characteristic, they require heavier springs.

If the user is planning to get into long strings of fire on a two way range, they practice it until they can't get it wrong - hundreds if not thousands of repetitions. As in, every mag change at the range. And don't count off because it was plus 1 in the chamber.

Since a tactical mag change is an advanced skill and the problem exists for a wide number of handguns, I wouldn't call out the P365 on it singularly. For those with a larger collection - I have both a 4566 and a TP9SF - knowing the round count and doing a tactical swap would have significantly different force requirements. A ten round mag will take a lot less force compared to an 18 round.

Up front, the ten shot P365 offers one less reload in 20 rounds than a 6 shot 9mm, we are already ahead of the curve using it. At the cost of a tad more carry weight. I stopped carrying a 6 shot .380 to make the switch, there are small changes but it's working out. My current challenge is finding an affordable Brauer Bros type shoulder holster configuration in horizontal carry. There is a hole in the market that I won't fill with an offshore product. My solution is to use a IWB kydex and neoprene copy.

Posts: 613 | Registered: December 14, 2021Reply With QuoteReport This Post