SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Picked up a nice Springfield TRP….shoots better than my Springfield Professional
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Picked up a nice Springfield TRP….shoots better than my Springfield Professional Login/Join 
posted
I got this clean TRP from my buddy today for a great price and was shocked when it shot better than my Pro model. I waited 9 months for that gun and it was much more than the $900 I paid for this one. This is an older gun with a little bit of character marks, but boy is the trigger nice and she is a great shoot. The target below is 4 magazines of my 230gr home loads, one mag each at 5,7,10, and 15yds. I only dropped 1 round. I love this gun already.

Posts: 1095 | Location: Orange Park, FL. | Registered: November 26, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
Beautiful pistol, but that cheese grater front strap, though. Of all the guns I've held, the TRP has the most uncomfortable front strap. And I like grippy surface.

Q

Posts: 26192 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
That 20 lpi front strap bites. Literally.

"Owning a handgun doesn't make you armed any more than owning a guitar makes you a musician." -Jeff Cooper

Posts: 8754 | Location: UT | Registered: December 05, 1999Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Truth Seeker
Picture of StorminNormin
posted Hide Post
Yup, you got a great and accurate pistol there! Yeah the grip is very “grippy” for sure! I still love the gun. In a one shot try, it is the only one so far I have hit a bullseye at 25 yards. Here is mine:

NRA Benefactor Life Member

Posts: 8657 | Location: The Lone Star State | Registered: July 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Rick Lee
posted Hide Post
Last time I went shopping for one of these, I came home with a SIG nickel nitron 1911 for plenty less than the TRPs go for new. But for $900 I'd not have been able to pass this one up.

Posts: 3491 | Location: Cave Creek, AZ | Registered: October 24, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Where there's smoke,
there's fire!!
Picture of techguy
posted Hide Post
That’s a beauty. I picked up a Range Officer Operator the other day but have yet to shoot it. Racking the slide back and forth, it’s as smooth as can be.

Posts: 1770 | Location: Kentucky | Registered: February 16, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The TRP is generally well liked.
I wonder why they are not building the DS as well.

Posts: 3277 | Location: Florence, Alabama, USA | Registered: July 05, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Tooky13
posted Hide Post
Great gun, I had an all stainless one... but I'm with Q on this one. I ended up putting Talon grip tape on the front strap.

We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution.
Abraham Lincoln

Posts: 1307 | Location: Scottsdale, Arizona | Registered: December 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
One of my coworkers has a stainless example. Yes it's got an aggressive front strap that stings when shooting. Very much like a couple of Nighthawks I've shot in the past. His took a crazy number of boxes of ammo to break in, but it shot very accurately once it was broken in. I've shot it a number of times, but I learned quickly to bring along a pair of open finger tip bicycle gloves whenever I go shooting with him.

-MG

Posts: 1927 | Location: The commie, rainy side of WA | Registered: April 19, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Still finding my way
Picture of Ryanp225
posted Hide Post
I picked up the Garrison due to not having the serrated front strap. I dig the smooth feel on the front with a more aggressive grip panel.

Posts: 10823 | Registered: January 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
A fine wide file will fix up that overly sharp checkering right quick. Won't even show on stainless. Cold blue on blue, then when that wears off it is just proof you are actually using it.
I have flattened checkering on a couple of guns and like it better than sharp or the various frou frou grip textures.

Posts: 3277 | Location: Florence, Alabama, USA | Registered: July 05, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Quiet Man
posted Hide Post
My TRP is the best shooting gun I own. I got used to the...aggressive...checkering pretty quickly. I now actually like it quite a bit. I just wouldn't want to shoot a case out of it in one go. Hundred rounds or so is fine. My ONLY gripe about the gun is purely cosmetic. The left right side of the ambi safety is very slightly bent inwards. Not sure if it was that way when it left the factory or if it got dropped on the safety at some point, but it bugs my hidden OCD to no end. I keep meaning to swap it out but just never get around to it. I could hand you the gun and you'd never see it, but I notice it every stinking time.

Posts: 2590 | Registered: November 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Love my TRP. Used to have a Dan Wesson Valor which was a very nice pistol however it did not want to digest my handloads. TRP eats everything I feed it!

Posts: 140 | Registered: February 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Owned a few TRP's, very nice for a out of the box 1911. I like the 20lpi front checkering so much I order it on all my custom pistols.

Posts: 75 | Registered: June 10, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ridewv
posted Hide Post
Congrats on the acquisition, beautiful pistol and at a good price. Mine sure was accurate as well. It was an early TRP as I ordered it when they first were announced. I, as well, didn't care for the aggressive front strap but I only shot a few magazines through it. It took me a couple days to decide but in doing away with some of my duplicate platforms I gave it to my SIL who had been looking to buy a 1911, keeping the Gold Cup.

No car is as much fun to drive, as any motorcycle is to ride.

Posts: 7035 | Location: Northern WV | Registered: January 17, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I swear I had
something for this
posted Hide Post
The 20 LPI checkering was my favorite part. I’ve never felt so locked into a pistol like my old TRP Operator or Professional.

Something about the TRP that’s different than the Pro is there are more relief cuts under the trigger guard and maybe the beavertail. The Pro is a straight 1911-A1 frame contour. As such, the TRP does feel more comfortable.

Posts: 4125 | Location: Kansas City, MO | Registered: May 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The Professional has a barrel specifically designed to generate the FBI's required group size with Remington Golden Saber ammo. Results with other brands of ammo may vary. Golden Sabers are a bit weird and not the most accurate from a normal barrel.

Posts: 4690 | Location: Indiana | Registered: December 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I really like my older 2010 TRP. One of the best 1911's I own.

Posts: 31 | Registered: October 23, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ironbutt
posted Hide Post
Great gun. Mine has kind of taken a back seat since I got the Wilson CQB, but it has well over 10K rounds through it. The first thing I did was swap out the guide rod for a GI style guide rod & plug.

------------------------------------------------

"It's hard to imagine a more stupid or dangerous way of making decisions, than by putting those decisions in the hands of people who pay no price for being wrong."
Thomas Sowell

Posts: 2048 | Location: PA | Registered: September 01, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ride the lightning
Picture of Killer Instincts
posted Hide Post
The TRP is a great pistol. I love mine, got it well-used off this forum 10+ years ago and shoot it occasionally. Thanks for the reminder to dig it out of the safe.

Posts: 2167 | Location: Underway | Registered: March 17, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post