SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    all steel sigs
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

all steel sigs Login/Join 
posted
I'm interested to know which all steel sig everyone considers sigs best all-around pistol. I have a P229 in 40S&W that I think a lot of but that is the only sig I own. I have considered another sig but I'm not sure that I don't have the best pistol they make already. I'm not including the X5 target pistol mainly because of the price but also because it's pretty much a target pistol, not an everyday drag around gun. So, what's the opinions??

Posts: 23 | Location: st louis | Registered: April 02, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of OttoSig
posted Hide Post
If you’ve shoot the various P22x series then I’d say go with the one you prefer based off size/dimensions. Remembering that all steel Sigs can get incredibly heavy so considering one for carry seems impractical.

For me it depends on use, the P220-10 modes soak up recoil of stout underwood 10mm extremely well making them a practical Steel variety. But also weighs in closer to 3 lbs loaded.

Overall, from my limited experience, P229 in 9mm is extremely fun, haven’t shot a P226 Stainless but I’d wager it’s just as tame. Very fun, heavy also but for a range toy it’s extremely enjoyable to shoot. For me the Legacy 229 beats the 226 off looks with most other areas being equal.

If you’re dragging it around everyday I would definitely go P229 and just get a Barsto conversion barrel.

11 years to retirement! Just waiting!

Posts: 6340 | Location: Maryland | Registered: August 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
All subjective, and, it's really about our favorite. Mine is the all stainless P228. A close second would be the no rail no tail all stainless P226 (9).

Q

Posts: 26470 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ajp3jeh
posted Hide Post
The stainless frame Sigs have an issue with small parts longevity. The aluminum frame flexes more and parts just get more stressed in the stainless frame guns. I'd pick by caliber in this order:
9mm
45 ACP
40 S&W

This the order of most likely to last, least likely to break.

AKA John E. Hearne

"Shoot deliberately" - Wyatt Earp
"Tache/psyche effect - a polite way of saying 'you suck.'" - GG
"The 8th Marines dominate an environment. You, with your pistol, merely exist." - GG
http://www.dvctargets.com - Promoting excellence and realisim in combative shooting.

Posts: 1748 | Location: Northern Mississippi | Registered: November 06, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The 220, 226 and 229. One of each (or more) is just fine.

Posts: 1256 | Location: Northern Nevada | Registered: December 22, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diablo Blanco
Picture of dking271
posted Hide Post
I have the following all stainless Sigs.

P220
P226
P229
P230
X6

Since we are eliminating the X series, I would have to say may favorite of the bunch is the P220 followed by the P229 w/ 357 Sig barrel. Truth be told, my P228 sits atop all the ST models as well as my MK25 which is currently my favorite DA/SA Sig that I own.

Posts: 2968 | Location: Middle-TN | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Web Clavin Extraordinaire
Picture of Oat_Action_Man
posted Hide Post
Only all-steel SIG I have is a 1911, which is pretty darn good for the price I paid!

All the rest of them are alloy or polymer.

----------------------------

Chuck Norris put the laughter in "manslaughter"

Educating the youth of America, one declension at a time.

Posts: 19837 | Location: SE PA | Registered: January 12, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of abnmacv
posted Hide Post
A tie between Sig 228 9mm and Sig 239 357 Sig.

U.S. Army 11F4P Vietnam 69-70 NRA Life Member

Posts: 1566 | Registered: June 11, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
This is an easy one to answer! Every time I visit the outdoor range, I always take along the used P-226S stainless I found at a Gander Mountain store.
This had been a law enforcement weapon as evidenced by the case which was so marked. The top of the slide looked like perspiration had affected the finish (probably shoulder holster carry). This 9mm
is real fun to shoot!

Posts: 248 | Location: West Michigan | Registered: November 12, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of wgsigs
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 12131:
All subjective, and, it's really about our favorite. Mine is the all stainless P228. A close second would be the no rail no tail all stainless P226 (9).

quote:
Originally posted by abnmacv:

OK. Which all-stainless P228 are you guys talking about?

Posts: 2807 | Location: Texas | Registered: July 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
and every one of them words rang true and glowed like burnin’ coal.
Picture of TannerBoyl
posted Hide Post
I am a big fan of the stainless Sigs. If I had to choose a favorite, I would pick the P220ST wig the older style propriety rail. For me, it just feels so perfect.

Good luck with your search!

Posts: 4594 | Location: Redondo Beach, California | Registered: February 02, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My other Sig
is a Steyr.
Picture of .38supersig
posted Hide Post
Thinking a P238, P226, or a 10mm P220 would exceed the need.

Posts: 9168 | Location: Somewhere looking for ammo that nobody has at a place I haven't been to for a pistol I couldn't live without... | Registered: December 02, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wgsigs:
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by abnmacv:

12131 has an actual 228 with a stainless frame.
It has the 229ST stainless frame, but it was put together at the factory as a 228.

I'd say abnmacv missed the mark by not reading the OP. Big Grin

Posts: 10056 | Registered: October 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
OP, do you mean all steel or all metal? Because the only all steel ones will be stainless. Most classic SIGs are aluminum alloy frames with stamped folded carbon steel (older, pre-90s roughly) or milled stainless (newer, 90’s to current).

------------------------------------------------
Charter member of the vast, right-wing conspiracy

Posts: 1861 | Registered: June 25, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Right now I've got 3 all steel SIG pistols, a P229, a P226AL and a P210. They are all great and it would be difficult determining which one of those three is "best all-round" pistol as you put it.

ajp3jeh mentioned that stainless frame SIGs have an issue with small parts longevity. I've never heard that before.

Posts: 2012 | Registered: March 07, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Great Equalizer
Picture of colt_saa
posted Hide Post
I own several all steel SIGs including X-pistols and Sport pistols

However I do not consider any of them to be "sigs best all-around pistol"

Make no mistake I love shooting the all steel SIGs, but to be an All-Around Pistol it needs to be something that I am willing to carry for an 8 - 12 hour shift and that means an alloy frame. As I get older, these all steel pistols start feeling heavier.

If I had to choose a best all round metal SIG, it would be a non railed P229 in 357SIG

This message has been edited. Last edited by: colt_saa,

------------------------------------------------------------------
NRA Benefactor . . . Certified Instructor . . . Certified RSO
SWCA

356TSW.com
45talk.com
RacingPlanetUSA.Com

Posts: 5181 | Location: Cocoa Beach, Florida | Registered: November 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post

I have one only, and it is one of the 2 SIGs I have kept while paring down in my old age. The P220-Elite-Nitron-10mm is my favorite. The other SIG I have kept is a classic P230, JE date code (1984), but it is the typical aluminum frame/steel slide.

When in doubt, mumble

Posts: 10790 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Excam_Man:
quote:
Originally posted by wgsigs:
quote:

12131 has an actual 228 with a stainless frame.
It has the 229ST stainless frame, but it was put together at the factory as a 228.

All stainless P228

Upper: from the stainless slide P228 made for the NJSP for T&E in Sept 2007.
Lower: from the stainless frame P228 special ordered from Germany by Afton Arms.

Here is the stainless slide NJSP P228. SIG NH made only two of these.

This is the stainless frame P228 from SIG DE. A total of 31 were ever made. This is what Excam_Man was referring to.

But, to go into more details, this specific gun (serial # B353773) actually has a true P228 ST frame made from scratch and did not borrow from the P229 ST. The magwell is true P228 magwell and cannot take the 229-1 mag. These stainless frame P228s were ordered and arrived in 2 batches at different times (July 2012 and March 2013). From the 4 samples that I have, guns from the 1st bacth has the 229-1 magwell, but those from the 2nd batch has the true P228 magwell.

Q

Posts: 26470 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Blume9mm
posted Hide Post
Simple question how do you determine if a Sig pistol has a steel frame or an alloy one?

My Native American Name:
"Runs with Scissors"

Posts: 4441 | Location: Greenville, SC | Registered: January 30, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Blume9mm:
Simple question how do you determine if a Sig pistol has a steel frame or an alloy one?

Two ways.

1- Weigh them. An alloy frame one should weigh 29 - 34 oz (max). An all steel SIG should weigh at least 40 oz. All with empty mag.

2- Stick a magnet to the area of the frame furthest from anything steel. Best place is the front of the trigger guard. If it sticks, it's steel. If it falls off, it's aluminum alloy. Applyin a magnet to the front strap of an aluminum frame SIG with the mag in the gun will result in sticking.

Q