SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Suggest a pistolsmith for a j frame
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Suggest a pistolsmith for a j frame Login/Join 
posted
I am looking for someone to install a front sight on a j frame. My old eyes need an upgrade. Can any one suggest a smith for me?

Posts: 421 | Location: Richmond Va. | Registered: April 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Prepared for the Worst, Providing the Best
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
What model J-Frame? If it's one of the models where the front sight is integrated into the barrel and not pinned in, it's gonna be expensive. Maybe expensive enough that it might be more cost-effective to just buy a new j-frame with a dovetail or pinned in front sight. If it already has a pinned in sight base there will be more options.

I've heard good things about this guy, although I've never used him myself. You might give him a look: https://www.dlsports.com/dl_jframe_sw_sights.html

Posts: 8573 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
S&W have a new Jframe in 32 and 38 with a bit dot front and a simple rear sight (not fixed),

don't recall the sku, but I ordered one for a customer, still have the 32 I may keep for myself,

https://www.chesterfieldarmament.com/

Posts: 10423 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Prepared for the Worst, Providing the Best
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by lyman:
S&W have a new Jframe in 32 and 38 with a bit dot front and a simple rear sight (not fixed),

don't recall the sku, but I ordered one for a customer, still have the 32 I may keep for myself,

That would be the Lipsey's exclusive 642/442UC and 632/432UC. A bit more discussion here: https://sigforum.com/eve/forum...0601935/m/1670013705 I'm liking my 642 a lot!

Posts: 8573 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Just a heads up....I have a 3" Model 60 .357 with the adjustable rear sight. It has a pinned front sight, but is a different configuration than that of the Model 60 J-frames with a fixed rear sight. I have had zero success finding a replacement front sight for that gun.

Posts: 3 | Location: Ohio | Registered: March 14, 2022Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Kevinch105:
Just a heads up....I have a 3" Model 60 .357 with the adjustable rear sight. It has a pinned front sight, but is a different configuration than that of the Model 60 J-frames with a fixed rear sight. I have had zero success finding a replacement front sight for that gun.

I have the 3" Model 60 and found a replacement fiber optic front sight at Dawson Precision.

Posts: 482 | Registered: February 01, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
One of the reasons I went with the LCR. Fairly easy to switch out the front sight. Mine now has an XS Big Dot Tritium mounted.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16096 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Chuck Perry:
I have the 3" Model 60 and found a replacement fiber optic front sight at Dawson Precision.

I was looking for a tritium front sight as I use this gun as my nightstand gun & while I can find them for a Model 60 with a fixed rear, I could not locate one for a 3" gun with the adjustable rear sight.

Posts: 3 | Location: Ohio | Registered: March 14, 2022Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tupperware Dr.
Picture of GCE61
posted Hide Post
Get in touch with Dave at Defensive Creations, he may be able to help with that front sight.

https://defensivecreations.com...-creations-gunsmith/

Posts: 3548 | Registered: December 28, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Andy Horvath converted one of my Ruger Blackhawks to .44 Special. Did a great job, and at what I thought was reasonable cost ($1200 - new barrel, steel ejector assembly and blackstrap, blued, with new wooden grips). Might consider him.

Posts: 75 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: August 30, 2023Reply With QuoteReport This Post