SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Carry gun range time
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Carry gun range time Login/Join 
Just mobilize it
posted
How often do you all shoot your carry guns? Weekly? Monthly? Every few months? Longer? I’m sure this has come up before, more than once I bet, but I’m wondering about nowadays with the ammo shortages and such.

Well I try to run a mag or two through my G42 at least every few months to stay combat proficient. I was shooting it in GSSF so I didn’t need to practice as much though it had been several months since I shot it so today I took it out. Was able to put fist sized semi rapid fire groups at about 11 yards today so I’m happy with that, but it does remind me that I need to make sure and put my carry stuff in the range rotation more often. And I would say if you pocket carry like I do, practice your draws under simulated duress as if you can’t clear your garments and get your gun presented in a timely manner it won’t matter if you are Annie Oakley!

It ain’t a powerhouse, but I’d still be last in line to be on the receiving end of a 380, and it’s so comfortable and controllable to shoot that placement is easily trained.

The good ‘ol G42

Posts: 4611 | Registered: July 24, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted Hide Post
When I was shooting more regularly I shot the defensive/carry guns quite often but part that is I have GENERALLY never really had the itty bitty for carry different gun for shooting mentality so my defensive/carry guns were generally fun range guns as well. I mean I have carried a Jframe and that got a little less range time but as a rule I’ve shot my carry/defensive guns fairly normally.

My biggest impediment is having a variety of “toys” and wanting to put a little time into all of them.

"Guns are tools. The only weapon ever created was man."

Posts: 7683 | Location: On the water | Registered: July 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diablo Blanco
Picture of dking271
posted Hide Post
quote:
My biggest impediment is having a variety of “toys” and wanting to put a little time into all of them.

I have the exact same problem and while I’ve allocated a considerable amount of ammo to training this summer it never seems like enough. My son and I did spend a large amount of time last Saturday on our P365 CCWs.

Posts: 2959 | Location: Middle-TN | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cslinger:

Same.

---------------------------------
I know my nation best. That's why I despise it the most. And I know and love my own people too, the swine. I'm a patriot. A dangerous man --Edward Abbey

After one look at this planet any visitor from outer space would say "I want to see the manager." - William S. Burroughs

Posts: 108 | Registered: January 16, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just mobilize it
posted Hide Post
I wish I was one of those guys who could rock a 1911 or some Sig/HK double stack though I just can’t tolerate a thicker gun IWB these days. Used to carry a G19, then a 26, but the 380 bug guns just wins 99% of the time now, with my Shied as the only 9mm I will carry on occasion.

I too have some range toys that can shoot circles around my carry piece though they are about 40+ ounces and are not concealable at all so it’s a challenge for me to allocate the rounds for which “toy” to play or train with any given range day. That’s why I never can get super high round counts on any one gun as I switch up all the time what I’m shooting. Sometimes I do think though (and I’ve seen people on here do it over the years) if I trimmed my collection down to a couple core pistols and trained heavily on them and them alone, proficiency would skyrocket I’m certain.

Posts: 4611 | Registered: July 24, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Orive 8
posted Hide Post
Range time for my wife and I is 2x/month. We shoot 50-75 rounds each outing, different drills and/or courses of fire.

Try to do a dry fire practice session 2x a week

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Tomorrow's battle is won during today's practice.

Posts: 1898 | Location: Collier Twp, PA | Registered: June 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Prepared for the Worst, Providing the Best
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
quote:

I have this same issue, but I try to take my carry gun along every trip and dedicate at least a couple of mags towards doing some drills with it, even if the primary purpose of the trip is to shoot something else. Ideally I'd shoot it even more, but the ammo situation being what it is these days places significant limitations on range time. I've taken advice from others here and upped my dry-fire practice significantly as well, and I'm seeing positive results.

Posts: 8572 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
I pretty much only shoot and train with carry guns these days. My primary is a Glock 17 and back up is a 19. I trade for new guns once a year to keep them fresh.

www.opspectraining.com

"It's a bold strategy, Cotton. Let's see if it works out for them"

Posts: 37117 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Weather (hard to shoot at -10) and ammo availability factoring in, I try to shoot my carry gun once a month.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16094 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of WJR
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jljones:
I trade for new guns once a year to keep them fresh.

Could you please elaborate on this statement?

Thank you,

WJR

Posts: 1823 | Location: Birmingham, AL USA | Registered: January 23, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
With my PPK/S I shoot a couple of magazines once a month. I would shoot more but not at the current price of .380.

My Colt Cobra (1st series) I shoot 50 rds at least per month. (I reload 38 special).

The Kimber Ultra Carry I think 50 rds a month will be fine.

As already mentioned dry firing is helpful.

Lock N Load

Michael
USMC Ret

Posts: 1450 | Location: Texas | Registered: January 01, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by WJR:
quote:
Originally posted by jljones:
I trade for new guns once a year to keep them fresh.

Could you please elaborate on this statement?

Thank you,

WJR

I have a primary 17 and 19. Once a year, I trade them for a new 17 and 19. Traded the 19 a couple of weeks ago. Cost me $31 difference. 19 had about 10,000 rounds on it. Now, I have one that has about 75 rounds on it. Basically, just like when people trade for a new truck every year to keep low mileage.

www.opspectraining.com

"It's a bold strategy, Cotton. Let's see if it works out for them"

Posts: 37117 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Deal In Lead
Picture of Flash-LB
posted Hide Post
I shoot my carry gun at least twice a month, sometimes more.

Posts: 10626 | Location: Gilbert Arizona | Registered: March 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Whack-Job
Whisperer
Picture of 18DAI
posted Hide Post
I shoot my carry guns a couple of times per week, since I went back to work at the local range. One or two mags at the end of the day.

Occasionally, one of the instructors will post a "drill challenge" and I shoot those too. This week it was a "hostage rescue shot". Draw your carry gun, fire one round of carry ammo, on a 3×5 square at 7 yards in under 3 seconds. Fairly easy to do with my 4566. Not so much with my tiny CS9. Regards 18DAI

7+1 Rounds of hope and change

Posts: 4231 | Registered: August 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bcjwriter
posted Hide Post
I try for 2x a month but now it’s whenever there is range time at my department. A few weeks ago I ran my 43X through an RSO qual to see how it fared and was pleasantly surprised.

Posts: 1965 | Location: Southern CA | Registered: July 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Malysh
posted Hide Post
You are the only other shooter I've seen that favors the Kramer Pocket holster, as do I.

Great choice.

Posts: 419 | Location: PA | Registered: November 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I take and shoot my G23 and P365 every range session. It's just that the frequency of those sessions is not what it once was. I used to go weekly if not twice weekly. Now it's down to once or twice a month. Frown

-MG

Posts: 1993 | Location: The commie, rainy side of WA | Registered: April 19, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I'm Fine
Picture of SBrooks
posted Hide Post
I screwed up a little bit and don't have but 1,000 rounds between ALL my various calibers. So when you've only got a few hundred in XYZ caliber, it's hard to go to the range knowing it's going to cost $1/round. I have a few guns with new sites that need to be zeroed in (already boresited, but not tried on paper yet) and I'm hesitating doing that just because I know it'll cost me $50 to replace that ammo.

I do dry fire with the two guns that have crimson trace grips...

------------------
SBrooks

Posts: 3791 | Location: East Tennessee | Registered: August 21, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I ran some rounds thru my P365 today at the range -- some crappy 115 gr. FMJ, some better 115 gr. FMJ, and a little 124 gr. +P defensive HP. The pistol ran and shot perfectly, but I am a little out of practice.

Pragmatism: the relentless pursuit of seeing things as they really are.

Posts: 172 | Registered: September 21, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post