SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    G23 Gen 5 shooting experiences
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

G23 Gen 5 shooting experiences Login/Join 
Down the Rabbit Hole
Picture of Jupiter
posted
I would like to hear from folks who have had the opportunity to get some actual trigger time with the gun.
What are your impressions?

I've always been a fan of the G23. I had a 3rd gen for a number of years and would like to get another G23 at some point.

Thanks in advance

Diligentia, Vis, Celeritas

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf."
-- George Orwell

Posts: 4832 | Location: North Mississippi | Registered: August 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I shot one a few months ago and found it to be pleasant though I prefer the 19. Not a ton of rounds through it but it put the rounds where I thought they'd go and was...well, a gen 5 glock. I found the move back to 2 pin interesting but if they think it will work then I imagine it'll work.

Posts: 3044 | Location: Pnw | Registered: March 21, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm a G5 addict having switched when G5 arrived as I have always hated finger groves (even if I have shot tens and tens of thousands of rounds of competition with G3/G4).
My ammo inventory has lots of .40 so I have the G5 .40's. Frankly its a G5 in .40. Its just like a G3 in .40 except its a G5. I personally like a longer grip of G22's and wish there was like a .40 G45, but OK.
Other than the grip I don't find any of the G5 changes particularly notable. The big other changes haven't meant anything to me (barrel, finish, magwell, release, etc.) The trigger seems mostly the same to me but I am not trigger sensitive and haven't spent a bunch of time back to back to see if I can figure out how to characterize the change (ammo is too precious).
Is there some particular feature you want explored or are concerned about? I consider the G5's the best of the glocks in every area but aftermarket and I don't normally care about that.

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 11002 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Blue Machine
Picture of Phred
posted Hide Post
Is there a difference in felt recoil between the Gen5 and previous generations? Specifically the .40 cal guns. Does the increase in slide mass translate into a discernible difference?

Posts: 1626 | Location: South Carolina | Registered: February 27, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm way past being sensitive to recoil in this class of guns. I have no clue the mass difference. But I'm going with not noticeable in any way shape or form...

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 11002 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Down the Rabbit Hole
Picture of Jupiter
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Phred:
Does the increase in slide mass translate into a discernible difference?

The slide has been beefed up quite a bit and appears to fall somewhere between the G30 and G19. IMO, what the .40/.357 Sig should have been in the first place.
Most of the reviews I've seen on Youtube seem to suggest a noticeable difference in felt recoil.
I never really thought my G23 was that snappy but many don't agree with me. It should add to the longevity of the pistols in .40/.357.

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf."
-- George Orwell

Posts: 4832 | Location: North Mississippi | Registered: August 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Down the Rabbit Hole
Picture of Jupiter
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Anubismp:
I found the move back to 2 pin interesting but if they think it will work then I imagine it'll work.

I was wondering how that would work also. I'm guessing the heavier slide and beefed up locking block made it possible.

-- George Orwell

Down the Rabbit Hole
Picture of Jupiter
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by hrcjon:
I'm a G5 addict having switched when G5 arrived as I have always hated finger groves (even if I have shot tens and tens of thousands of rounds of competition with G3/G4).

I'm a fan of the 5th Gen guns as well. I have a number of 3rd gen and 4th gen pistols and a couple of 5th Gen.. A G19x and G19.

-- George Orwell

Picture of CQB60
posted Hide Post
I swapped all my 9mm Glocks to Gen 5’s. Didn’t think I’d like the finger grooveless grip but dang, feels very good in the hand. All the improvements however subtle, when placed together, make the platform so much better.

Posts: 13813 | Location: VIrtual | Registered: November 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I can't speak to the Gen 5 G23, but I do own a Gen 5 G22, and without mincing words, I am as impressed as hell.

I'm not a .40 guy at all, but over the years, I've collected a large amount of .40 ammo and didn't have a .40 handgun when the crunch happened. Stupid of me, so I decided to buy a .40 P226. I waited too long and the good P226 deals dried up, so I took a chance and bought a blue label G22 for $399.

Without overstating it, I think it's the most significant improvement between Glock models and generations that I've seen. The bigger .45 GAP slide eats the .40 torque and it recoils completely differently. I'll bet the recoil is down by a third, there's no sharp impulse, and it has been reliable through 250 rounds, including a bag of junked out duty loads that were probably 15 years old and sticky.

If the Gen 5 G23 functions like my Gen 5 G22, I'd say buy it.

Posts: 1093 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: September 25, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Regarding the Gen5, I discovered that I'm not a fan of the compact frame even though I did initially applaud the finger groove/ridge removal. With Glock's doing so the dimensions somehow got realigned and contorted for my sense of touchy-feely, and now the swell of the grip's backstrap just bugs the living heck out of me. The Gen5 is the first G19 like ever that I definitely don't want.

Moving onto its snappier sibling, having a 3-pin version certainly doesn't make a .40 Glock infallible. One of our regular customers found that out with his Gen4 G23 when the upper locking block pin snapped during a match, though according to him he did manage to complete the day's courses with that gun in that condition. Dunno how many rounds he had through the gun but it just goes to show that the pins are consumables, especially with a .40 or a 10mm. He had never changed his out. I've changed out the pins on my main G23 (Gen4) approximately every 5000 rounds or thereabouts, so that gun is now on final third of its third set. The last take-off set showed signs of corrosion--my toxic sweat at work, no doubt--so environmental issues can also play a factor in following regular change outs as well. Neither of my two Gen4 backups have reached that threshold yet but they'll get the same when those days come. Not that big of a deal to do (remembering to keep track OTOH...) but these days with all of the customizing and guys building off of stripped frames finding the factory parts can be a bit of a challenge if you're lacking on spares.

Haven't shot the Gen5 G23 yet, though because I carry a Gen4 version I'm curious and would like to try one out just to see how its heavy slide copes with the recoil. I seriously doubt that I will ever buy one. I don't like that I'd have to buy a new holster to accommodate the wider slide, nor will I ever appreciate carrying a thicker slide IWB. And as I said above I'm not a fan of the backstrap swell of the compact Gen5 frame, which feels to me irritatingly pronounced and annoying than with earlier generation G19s, G23s and G32s. I noticed this straight off when I first handled the Gen5 G19, then it really annoyed me when I shot the gun for the first time. We've only had a couple of Gen5 G23s in the shop so far but in hand those felt pretty much the same as the Gen5 G19, only with a shifted top-heavy balance due to the bulkier slide. OTOH the fullsize Gen5 frame for whatever reason fits just fine, which prompted me to opt for the Gen5 G17 and G45 and skip the G19 this time around. However I really was enamored with the Gen5 G22, so...

There are definitely times where working in a gun shop can be very, very bad to me. Wink

EDIT: I should also say that I've never found the recoil of the Gen4 G23 particularly snappy; 'stout' perhaps, but not 'snappy'. The Gen3 G23 OTOH...

-MG

Posts: 1993 | Location: The commie, rainy side of WA | Registered: April 19, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 64TI
posted Hide Post
I had Glocks for decades. Now I have a Glock. Still have holsters magazines more than I need, but when the military chose the 320 Lego set I changed my choice sold my Glocks and made the switch to the 320. Last year I found a 320 compact 40SW compact upper magazine at a great price and bought it. Reason is I have lots of ammunition for it and might as well have something to shoot it with. This compact really tames the 40SW than any Glock 40SW I have shot. I was impressed as I destroyed the target and then the makeshift stand round after round. So glad I bought it and now trying to find a couple more 40SW 13 round magazines.

"Buzzards got to eat, same as worms"

Posts: 785 | Location: Oklahoma City. Oklahoma | Registered: November 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of redlickranch
posted Hide Post
I just picked up a G23 and G19. Both shoot great, but the G23 has a more recoil due to hotter round. The G19 is very smooth. I also have a G22 that shoots very close to the G19 and is super nice to shoot. I am seeing prices fall a bit.

NRA Life Member

Posts: 1047 | Location: Bluegrass State GO CARDS!!! | Registered: July 31, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Cant comment on the Gen 5 23, but my Gen 4 has the snappiest recoil of any .40 I have shot.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16096 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yep. My gen4 23 quickly became a gen4 19. It wasn’t a great gun to shoot. Never liked the impulse.

Posts: 7499 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I like my G23G5 quite a bit. But, I'm kind of a .40 guy to begin with.

Posts: 31 | Registered: December 31, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Pursuing the wicked
Picture of rangemaster
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by pedropcola:
Yep. My gen4 23 quickly became a gen4 19. It wasn’t a great gun to shoot. Never liked the impulse.

My experience has been the opposite. When my Department upgraded to Gen4 from 3 I found the 4 to be very noticeably more pleasant to shoot.

Posts: 1621 | Location: West Virginia | Registered: December 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post