SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    1940 Hi-Standard H-E .22 LR Target Pistol
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

1940 Hi-Standard H-E .22 LR Target Pistol Login/Join 
Picture of hjs157
posted
I am pleased to share with you this somewhat scarce 1940 Hi-Standard H-E Model .22 LR target pistol. A bit of background info: In October 2022 this pistol, a Colt revolver and a bullseye shooter's chest were purchased by my LGS from the family of the original owner. Shortly thereafter I purchased the shooter's chest and have since been contemplating the purchase of this .22 pistol. Today we were finally able to make a deal and I am happy to reunite the pistol with the chest.

The following is from a 2010 RIA auction listing:

Introduced in 1940, the Model H-E is similar to the Model E, but with an exposed hammer. High Standard produced only about 2,100 of these pistols. The left side of the barrel extension is marked with the six line address, patent and caliber information, the left side of the slide is marked "HI-STANDARD / MODEL H-E" and the serial number appears on the front strap. Bull barrel with blade sight, the adjustable rear sight is dovetailed in the slide, serrated trigger, two tone unmarked magazine and fitted with checkered walnut grips with a serrated right hand thumb rest.

Attached is a link to my previous post re: the shooter's chest as well as a photo of the pistol. Enjoy.

https://sigforum.com/eve/forum...100057594#1100057594

Posts: 3487 | Location: Western PA | Registered: July 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shaman
Picture of ScreamingCockatoo
posted Hide Post
WOW! That is quite a find!

He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster.

Posts: 39716 | Location: Atop the cockatoo tree | Registered: July 27, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
7.62mm Crusader
posted Hide Post
Very nice indeed. I had the Model A with 6 3/4" pencil barrel. I never saw one with stocks as on your HE. The pistols were very accurate shooters with SV ammo. Later years I owned an Olympic mil grip in .22 Short with 2 barrels and weights. That gun would out shoot all my long rifle guns including my Model 41s.

Posts: 17889 | Location: The Bluegrass State! | Registered: December 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of hjs157
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by David Lee:
I never saw one with stocks as on your HE.

I suspect they may be Roper grips though I have not removed them to examine the back of the panels. Walter Roper produced aftermarket wooden stocks between 1934 - 1952. Below is a link to a detailed article re: Roper grips.

http://www.sackpeterson.com/models/roper.html

Posts: 3487 | Location: Western PA | Registered: July 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
7.62mm Crusader
posted Hide Post
It would be nice to know if its grips had those jig holes in them. The artical mentions the old Franzites. I had a white thumb rest pair for my Colt Woodsman Match Target. I loved shooting the Colt. A little different hold than the 41s. I owned a perfect 46 also.

Posts: 17889 | Location: The Bluegrass State! | Registered: December 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Classic pistol! I have always been on the lookout for a High Standard HD Military model!

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 15989 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Back in the 80's shot on a Army rifle/pistol team and in the arms room we had six of these, the funny thing is two of them had threaded barrels.

Posts: 93 | Registered: October 21, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Very Nice pistol indeed!

That is the first thing I thought when I saw those grips.
Looks like Roper’s to me.

Fixture marks on the back?

Posts: 6 | Registered: September 22, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of hjs157
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by David Lee:
It would be nice to know if its grips had those jig holes in them.

quote:
Originally posted by todd_r:
Fixture marks on the back?

Removal of the grips revealed there are no jig holes on the back of the panels. I did however locate on-line photos of two identical sets of High Standard grips attributed to Roper which also lack the holes. Based upon this evidence, I am fairly certain my grips were manufactured by Roper.

Shaman
posted Hide Post
Dammit, I hope you know I'm hunting a High Standard now...

Dammit...

Posts: 39716 | Location: Atop the cockatoo tree | Registered: July 27, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
7.62mm Crusader
posted Hide Post
They made some beautiful guns SC. The older HBs and HD Military can be found at reasonable prices. All the Hamden guns hold their value quite well. The pistol posted by hjs is called a slant grip. The military grip models are same as the 1911 grip profile. I had the 106 mil grip Olympic in .22 short. These later guns have a push button to remove the barrel. Depending on what you get, you can find various types of barrels. I had a 5" full bull barrel and a 6" plus with under barrel weights and clamps. That barrel has a comp machined onto it. You also have the Trophy models, Victor and Citation to choose from. They made what we called space guns with very long barrels. Those pistols hold their value well also. They are beyond cool with that long bullet tube which sets your front sight out there.

Shaman
posted Hide Post
Wasn't that one fitted with a silencer for the OSS in WWII?

Picture of hjs157
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ScreamingCockatoo:
Wasn't that one fitted with a silencer for the OSS in WWII?

Here's a short video re: the suppressed High Standard HDM Model.

Picture of ridewv
posted Hide Post
That looks like a nice one and this is the first I've heard of High Standard model H-E. I really need to educate myself more on High Standards. Interesting that Mars has a thread on them as well.

My two which are actually very similar other than the longer ported barrel and adjustable sights on the Field King.

Field King

Sport King

No car is as much fun to drive, as any motorcycle is to ride.

Posts: 7033 | Location: Northern WV | Registered: January 17, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Very nice H-E!

I have a soft spot for High Standard .22 handguns.

My paternal grandma used one of their revolvers to teach me how to shoot handguns.

I always liked the H-E, but my grail was always the 102 Trophy, aka: space gun.

Like this one [not mine: I wish!]:

Sigs and Non-Sigs: I enjoy having options!

Posts: 683 | Location: South San Joaquin Valley, CA | Registered: September 21, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
7.62mm Crusader
posted Hide Post
bczrx, that pistol wears the standard length 6 3/4" barrel. The space guns I believe got out as long as 10". The gun pictured is a long rifle. The .22 Short models had aluminum slides. My 106 Olympic ISU was military grip with saddle mounted rear sight. I also had the 5" full bull barrel. Either barrel was extremely accurate with the only .22 short ammo I could ever find standard velocity being CCI. While Ive had many a long rifle target pistols, I enjoyed the change to .22 Short and in center fire, .32 S&W long full wad cutter.