SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Picked up a Model 28 no dash
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
Reply
  
Picked up a Model 28 no dash Login/Join 
Member
Picture of got2hav1
posted
Early 1959 S&W Model 28 with 4" barrel. She's seen a few cylinder rotations I bet. Good solid old Smith. It was super dry so I took the side plate off (the proper way) and oiled it down good. Should be a good shooter. Most of these you see are 28-2. But if you ever see a 28-1 buy it no matter how much it is. Those are very rare. Smile







JEREMIAH 33:3
 
Posts: 3224 | Location: Eastern NC | Registered: March 14, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
Picture of 1KPerDay
posted Hide Post
Very nice.


---------------------------
My hovercraft is full of eels.
 
Posts: 3760 | Registered: February 27, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
Picture of Delta-3
posted Hide Post
That's a nice one! Congrats.


Rom 13:4 If you do evil, be afraid. For he does not bear the sword in vain. For he is God's minister, an avenger to execute wrath on him who practices evil.
 
Posts: 790 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: September 30, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
Picture of stormin
posted Hide Post
I’ve always had a soft spot for the 4” Mod 28’s and I could kick myself for not grabbing one (or more) when they were selling for absolutely nothing 15+ years ago. I guess it was the matte finish that made them less desirable…
 
Posts: 469 | Location: Raleigh, NC | Registered: March 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
Picture of 1KPerDay
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by stormin:
I’ve always had a soft spot for the 4” Mod 28’s and I could kick myself for not grabbing one (or more) when they were selling for absolutely nothing 15+ years ago. I guess it was the matte finish that made them less desirable…

Yeah, unfortunately the "matte" of yesteryear is the "bright polish" of today LOL.


---------------------------
My hovercraft is full of eels.
 
Posts: 3760 | Registered: February 27, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
Picture of got2hav1
posted Hide Post
The cost to play has increased a good bit since I bought my first one. I guess that can be said for most firearms though.


JEREMIAH 33:3
 
Posts: 3224 | Location: Eastern NC | Registered: March 14, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Membership has its privileges
Picture of P-220
posted Hide Post
What a great looking 28. Hard to believe it is that old. I hope she shoots as good as she looks.


Niech Zyje P-220

Steve
 
Posts: 37187 | Location: 45174 | Registered: December 09, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Cogito Ergo Sum
posted Hide Post
The Highway Patrolman is my favorite revolver. Nice one you picked up.
 
Posts: 6114 | Registered: August 01, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Animis Opibusque Parati
posted Hide Post
You found a beautiful gun right there. I can just imagine how nice it shoots with a box of .38 Spl 148gr WC. Please update us with a range report when you get out with it.




"Prepared in mind and resources"
 
Posts: 1425 | Location: SC | Registered: October 28, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Each post crafted from
rich Corinthian leather
Picture of TheFrontRange
posted Hide Post
Oh, heck, yeah - love it!

I have a pair of 28-2s myself that are regularly carried and fired.

While both are wearing aftermarket stocks (Tyler Gun Works Bear Hugs on the left and Culina “Cokes” on the right), the gun on the left came with what I believe are its original factory Targets along with the original box, tools, and paperwork.

The gun on the right saw some changes performed by a prior owner (yellow-ramp front sight and a refinish among others).






"The sea was angry that day, my friends - like an old man trying to send back soup in a deli." - George Costanza
 
Posts: 6924 | Registered: September 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
posted Hide Post
Almost bought a 28-2 6 inch at the Harrisburg Fun Show a couple of weeks back. $799, which was affordable, but rent was also due the next day. Maybe next time.
Thank you for the great photos. I've never seen a 28 that wasn't a dash 2.
 
Posts: 4779 | Location: Middletown, PA | Registered: January 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
Picture of 4MUL8R
posted Hide Post
No dash! Wow. Enjoy. Sure the dash variants are interesting but let this one just be.


-------
Trying to simplify my life...
 
Posts: 6305 | Location: Commonwealth of Virginia | Registered: January 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
Picture of GOTSIG
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 1KPerDay:
quote:
Originally posted by stormin:
I’ve always had a soft spot for the 4” Mod 28’s and I could kick myself for not grabbing one (or more) when they were selling for absolutely nothing 15+ years ago. I guess it was the matte finish that made them less desirable…

Yeah, unfortunately the "matte" of yesteryear is the "bright polish" of today LOL.


This is true! However, it does not diminish the quality of your find in the least. If anything, it proves it was ahead of its time. You can run any SAMMI spec load through that revolver time and again and it will hold up and keep its timing. A great revolver that stands the test of time. Enjoy!


====================
"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." THOMAS
JEFFERSON
 
Posts: 920 | Location: Maine, U.S.A. | Registered: August 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
posted Hide Post
For a long time 28’s were under appreciated and under valued. Not any more.

The dull finish ( by old school standards) the weight ( when most wear going for the K frame 19)
No stainless ( which I personally hate anyway but is and was popular)
It wasn’t too long ago ( the 15 year mentioned by someone) you could find a nice highway for under 400 bucks.
 
Posts: 3851 | Location: Finally free in AZ! | Registered: February 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
fugitive from reality
Picture of SgtGold
posted Hide Post
That's pretty much my exact experience as well. I had a 28-2 and sold it because I really didn't have a use for it. It's one of the few guns I've sold that I regret doing so.


quote:
Originally posted by captain127:
For a long time 28’s were under appreciated and under valued. Not any more.

The dull finish ( by old school standards) the weight ( when most wear going for the K frame 19)
No stainless ( which I personally hate anyway but is and was popular)
It wasn’t too long ago ( the 15 year mentioned by someone) you could find a nice highway for under 400 bucks.


_____________________________
'I'm pretty fly for a white guy'.

 
Posts: 7374 | Location: Newyorkistan | Registered: March 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
Picture of got2hav1
posted Hide Post
Guys, I haven't shot it yet. I've been on a SW spree lately so kinda busy. Vacation and doctor appointments also have caused some delay. I landed a nice 29-2 4" with presentation case (needs to be reflocked) and perhaps an even nicer '71 Model 27 with 3.5" barrel. 29 should be here tomorrow and the Model 27 later in the week. I'll update soon.


JEREMIAH 33:3
 
Posts: 3224 | Location: Eastern NC | Registered: March 14, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
posted Hide Post
Looks good.

I recently traded my M28 for an ottomattik but have no fear, the M27 is still here.
 
Posts: 3517 | Location: Florence, Alabama, USA | Registered: July 05, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
  Powered by Social Strata  
 

SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Picked up a Model 28 no dash

© SIGforum 2026