SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Any experience with Alien Gear holsters?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Any experience with Alien Gear holsters? Login/Join 
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted
Comments?

https://aliengearholsters.com/

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47407 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Mistake Not...
Picture of Loswsmith
posted Hide Post
Great Idaho based company. I've got ones for my Glock 19 and my SIg 228. Wish they did H&K P7M8.

Mistake not my current state of joshing gentle peevishness for the awesome and terrible majesty of the towering seas of ire that are themselves the milquetoast shallows fringing my vast oceans of wrath.

Velocitas Incursio Vis - Gandhi

Posts: 1955 | Location: T-town in the 253 | Registered: January 16, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Never miss an opportunity
to be Batman!
Picture of jsbcody
posted Hide Post
Had one with the leather backing for a while, wore it in summer here in St. Louis. It was very comfortable but sweat and humidity caused the leather backing to bow in such a way that it was actually bowing into the trigger guard which is not so good when carrying a Glock.....stopped using it, got rid of it. Now I only use kydex holsters.

Posts: 3934 | Location: St.Louis County MO | Registered: October 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
The one my agency is looking at is their evidently new duty holster.

They seem to have several good features: level two or three retention, simple release mechanism(s), and even an optional rotating hood to cover an optic. The last would alleviate one of my major objections to carrying most such sights. In addition it seems they accommodate a variety of lights; the one Safariland I ordered to try with a TLR-1 was too tight for the light even though it was advertised as fitting. The AG duty holster will also hold the gun properly even if a light isn’t attached—another disadvantage of the Safariland holsters I currently have.

They need to offer them in FDE or something similar so I can disappear into the local background. Wink

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47407 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
To each their own. I regret purchasing from them.

I thought the combo IWB/OWB would be worth trying. The OWB is flimsy garbage. The IWB itself needed the hardware checked and tightened every day. Plus neoprene traps heat. That’s why they use it for wetsuits.

I thought I was saving money. Instead, I wasted money and ended up buying the Comp-Tac anyway.

------------------------------------------------
Charter member of the vast, right-wing conspiracy

Posts: 1860 | Registered: June 25, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Like a party
in your pants
Picture of armored
posted Hide Post
I own several of there IWB holsters and have found them comfortable to wear and adjust.
About a year ago I bought a new one and found the adjustment screws had worked there way out and were lost.
I contacted Alien gear about sending me a few screws and grommets to replace the ones that fell out. The Girl I was communicating with in CS told me she could not send me any hardware for free, I had to buy a hardware package. She also told me that I needed to use lock Tite on the screws so they did not fall out. I was disturbed by this since if that's the case they should include a small tube of thread locker with the holster.
We went back and forth and I finally threatened to go over her head and tell the head of the Company how poor there CS was.
She relented and sent me replacement screws.
I will not buy alien gear equipment going forward.

Posts: 4623 | Location: Chicago, IL, USA: | Registered: November 17, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I found them to be a bit too bulky for my taste but everyone's body shape can make a pretty big difference in fit. I sold mine and went with a Harry's IWB holster for my P365, which is the best IWB kydex holster I have owned.

Posts: 246 | Location: Chicago Area | Registered: November 16, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of powermad
posted Hide Post
I have a paddle holster for my 220/226 that works well.
For some reason I thought the dropleg would be a good idea but I never did make it out of the house with it on and just use the paddle.

Posts: 1477 | Location: Portland Oregon | Registered: October 01, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spiritually Imperfect
Picture of VictimNoMore
posted Hide Post
AG was one of few places that make holsters specifically for the new M&P 10mm with 4” barrel. Which I just bought.
So, I ordered their IWB unit. It arrived in about one week. Yes, it is bulky for IWB carry. The M&P 10mm isn’t exactly a small handgun.
So far, I like the holster. With a sweatshirt, it works well, and is comfortable.
I feel like the IWB unit was priced appropriately for what it is. Time will tell.

Posts: 3805 | Location: WV | Registered: January 30, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Leatherneck
posted Hide Post
I have several and my reviews are mixed.

I like that some of the holsters can be used in multiple ways. Like their belly band is just configured to use one of their IWB holsters so I can carry the holster with or without the belly band.

Their ankle holster is confusing and bulky. Their IWB hybrid holster is comfortable but I hate that the design makes it take up so much space. I also wish they had more light bearing options.

All in all they are okay holsters and I won’t get rid of the ones I have but I doubt I’ll ever buy anything else from their current offerings.

“Everybody wants a Sig in the sheets but a Glock on the streets.” -bionic218 04-02-2014

Posts: 15254 | Location: Florida | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have one of the newer style ones for my G20 that I wear IWB for the woods. I wear it for dirt biking and it’s very comfy and secure. If it works so nice for a big gun I’m sure it’ll be awesome for a smaller one

Posts: 3371 | Registered: December 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of toxophilus84
posted Hide Post
A number of months ago I bought the following:
Cloak Series Finished Shell
SKU: CFS-0709-RH
Gun
Sig P220 Carry/Compact
Draw Hand
Right Handed
Alien Gear Cloak Tuck IWB Holster (Inside the Waistband)
SKU: CT-0399-BK-RH-BSC
Gun
S&W M&P45c Compact 4 inch barrel
Leather Color
Black
Draw Hand
Right Handed
Clips
Black Steel Clips

It took a bit to get used to the wide footprint but it is comfortable and the kydex helps in reholstering; I've been using it mainly for my M&P 45C while I wait for my order from Milt Sparks to come in (somewhere between Dec-Feb)...

I've used loctite 248 to secure the screws so I don't lose any of them from working loose.

I also ordered the leather straps to secure the holster to my belt as my Best Friend pointed out that I was leaving scuff marks on her leather car seat (du-oh!). The leather straps are in my opinion flimsy but they do the job.

I did order a set of their kydex clips as well so I may try them in the future.

I find this holster comfortable and even during the Summer when I would sweat it didn't permeate the leather backing though I could feel the moisture on the grip when I'd wipe down the pistol each night after wear.

the handle?... it's Latin for "Lover of the Bow".

Posts: 222 | Location: Earth, Colorado | Registered: March 30, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Deal In Lead
Picture of Flash-LB
posted Hide Post
A member of my weekly shooting group brought in 3 IWB holsters for show and tell one day over 10 years ago. At that time there were only 2 people in the group of 18 that carried IWB, so there were no preconceptions.

The 3 were Alien Gear, Crossbreed and Galco. He passed them around and called for a vote on which one was the best quality based on what we saw.

Everybody voted for Alien Gear, no exceptions.

So I bought one and have used one continuously for over 10 years with a variety of guns. I carry from the time I put on my pants in the morning until bedtime, so it has to be comfortable and they are. Mrs. Flash has remarked that she's seen me reach back and see if the gun's there from time to time, usually when I'm driving, so if I don't know if the gun's there then it's comfy.

I've heard from people saying that the screws fell out and you had to call for more and don't understand that as they send a bag of extra hardware with every holster I've purchased, which is around 5 at this point. I've got hardware coming out my ears.

The earlier versions had a problem with screws loosening so I used blue loctite and that went away.

The later versions use green grommets and either these or different hardware, I don't know which, keep the screws from loosening.

I couldn't be happier.

Posts: 10626 | Location: Gilbert Arizona | Registered: March 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've had a few and they were decent. Not bad and not good.
They held up decently and worked but were a little bigger size wise.
I did check out their new duty model with the level 2 or 3 retention and they look pretty good. I may spring for one to replace an older thumb snap holster I have for Winter carry.

I'd rather be hated for who I am than loved for who I'm not.

Posts: 3652 | Location: The armpit of Ohio | Registered: August 18, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have no experience with them, but I have noted that a number of firearms instructors that I have taken classes from expressly prohibit them in their classes.

Posts: 668 | Location: NH | Registered: December 28, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Deal In Lead
Picture of Flash-LB
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sw4566:
I have no experience with them, but I have noted that a number of firearms instructors that I have taken classes from expressly prohibit them in their classes.

I'd love to hear their rationalization for that, other than personal prejudices.

Posts: 10626 | Location: Gilbert Arizona | Registered: March 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Angry Korean
with a Dark Soul
Picture of Windhover
posted Hide Post
I had one for my Kahr PM9. It was comfortable, but too bulky for IWB carry in summer under a t-shirt.

I switched to Stealthgear Venticore Appendix and I like it much better. The soft backing seems to wick away sweat and more comfortable than the leather backing on Alien Gear.

https://stealthgearusa.com/holsters/

Posts: 1169 | Location: Las Vegas, NV | Registered: October 11, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Flash-LB:
quote:

I'd love to hear their rationalization for that, other than personal prejudices.

Might be politics. Several years ago one of their social media handlers posted about a police related shooting. Multiple officers shot an armed suspect a few dozen times. Alien gear posted something along the lines of why did they have to shot him so many times. They tried to walk it back.

Posts: 5416 | Location: Pittsburgh, PA, USA | Registered: February 27, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Giftedly Outspoken
Picture of sigarms229
posted Hide Post
I have 2. My opinion is that their marketing is better than the actual product.

I have no plans to add any of their holsters to my lineup in the future.

Sometimes, you gotta roll the hard six

Posts: 4522 | Location: SouthCentral PA | Registered: December 05, 1999Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
quote:

Not referring to Blackhawk SERPA holsters—?

I can see them being criticized for poor quality, poor design, or poor customer service, but being banned? Why?

6.4/93.6

— Plato