SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Any experience with Alien Gear holsters?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Any experience with Alien Gear holsters? Login/Join 
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigfreund:
the one Safariland I ordered to try with a TLR-1 was too tight for the light even though it was advertised as fitting

Interesting. If anything, Safariland's duty holsters are known for being too loose, with tons of slop from the overly generous tolerances. (As jljones likes to say, they're basically just "gun buckets".) They don't go for tight tolerances around the muzzle of the gun and the light, since unlike a kydex concealment holster they're not relying on the holster molding for retention.

Posts: 32506 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Each post crafted from
rich Corinthian leather
Picture of TheFrontRange
posted Hide Post
My AG experience is from a few years back with their Cloak Tuk 2.0, IIRC. While it was certainly functional, I wasn’t overly fond of it at the time.

I’m glad to see that, from the looks of their site and the comments here, AG seems to have come a long way. I’m particularly impressed that they have LE duty holsters now.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: TheFrontRange,

"The sea was angry that day, my friends - like an old man trying to send back soup in a deli." - George Costanza

Posts: 6693 | Registered: September 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by sw4566:
I have no experience with them, but I have noted that a number of firearms instructors that I have taken classes from expressly prohibit them in their classes.

Not referring to Blackhawk SERPA holsters—?

I can see them being criticized for poor quality, poor design, or poor customer service, but being banned? Why?

Not sure, but these guys for one do not allow Alien Gear in their classes:

https://oftllc.us/

Posts: 668 | Location: NH | Registered: December 28, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Deal In Lead
Picture of Flash-LB
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:
I have no experience with them, but I have noted that a number of firearms instructors that I have taken classes from expressly prohibit them in their classes.

Not referring to Blackhawk SERPA holsters—?

I can see them being criticized for poor quality, poor design, or poor customer service, but being banned? Why?

Not sure, but these guys for one do not allow Alien Gear in their classes:

https://oftllc.us/

And they don't say a word about not allowing Alien Gear, but they do deny Blackhawk Serpa.
https://oftllc.us/event/pistol...dnesday-workshop-70/

Belt mounted, dominant side holster / kydex holster —PLEASE NO flimsy nylon or cloth holsters. NO BLACKHAWK SERPA holsters. We recommend holsters from Dark Star Gear, Raven Concealment, Blackpoint Tactical, Black Center Tactical, Concealment Express C&G Holsters & G-Code. – for more info please visit: https://oftllc.us/friends-links/

Posts: 10626 | Location: Gilbert Arizona | Registered: March 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
right off the website:

Belt mounted holster / kydex holster (OWB, IWB, AIWB)—PLEASE NO flimsy nylon or cloth holsters. NO BLACKHAWK SERPA, UNCLE MIKE’S, FOBUS, or ALIEN GEAR, holsters.

https://oftllc.us/event/surviv...l-shooting-skills-3/

Posts: 668 | Location: NH | Registered: December 28, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Am The Walrus
posted Hide Post
I love how the word tactical is used in marketing.

That and military grade. For many of us, military grade means lowest bidder.

Posts: 13109 | Registered: March 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Deal In Lead
Picture of Flash-LB
posted Hide Post
quote:
right off the website:

Belt mounted holster / kydex holster (OWB, IWB, AIWB)—PLEASE NO flimsy nylon or cloth holsters. NO BLACKHAWK SERPA, UNCLE MIKE’S, FOBUS, or ALIEN GEAR, holsters.

https://oftllc.us/event/surviv...l-shooting-skills-3/

So one course denies it and another one doesn't.

Real consistent aren't they?

Also, not a place I would go based on this.

Edited to add:

They also teach shooting on the move, another reason to go elsewhere.

Shooting and moving, yes, shooting on the move=practicing how to commit suicide in a gunfight.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Flash-LB,

Posts: 10626 | Location: Gilbert Arizona | Registered: March 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RogueJSK:
If anything, Safariland's duty holsters are known for being too loose ....

Yeah, but not that one. I could get the pistol and light holstered, but it was a very tight fit and made drawing difficult.

That holster also had an odd defect of some sort in the retention mechanism because pulling the little lever back released the gun, but only part way. After it was about half way out, it hung up again and it was necessary to operate the retention lever again to release the pistol all the way. And because it wasn't possible to reach the lever with the grip hand, it required reaching around with the support hand to finish the process.

After all that I was a bit miffed with Safariland as it was necessary to pay for the return myself and I never heard anything from them.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47408 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post