SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    You have 3 choices, which would you choose, HK45,Sig P220 or
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

You have 3 choices, which would you choose, HK45,Sig P220 or Login/Join 
Casuistic Thinker and Daoist
Picture of 9mmepiphany
posted Hide Post
I've had several 220s over the years.

I've carried a folded slide 220 as a duty gun and taught extensively with a 220ST.

I shot a CZ97 when they first came out and could never get over the roughness of the trigger or the shortness of the slide.

I've only put a few boxes of rounds through a HK45 but have a sort of love affair with it...except for the trigger. Other than the trigger, the HK45 has the best ergos of any .45ACP on the market and unmatched reliability and accuracy.

Of the three you've listed the HK45 would be my choice

No, Daoism isn't a religion

Posts: 14174 | Location: northern california | Registered: February 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Blackmore
posted Hide Post
P220 of the 3 listed but I'll have it as a Browning BDA. Another one I should never have parted with.

In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act

Posts: 3427 | Location: W. Central NH | Registered: October 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No Compromise
posted Hide Post
HK45, without a doubt. Or an HKUSP45TAC or HKMK23 if you are really serious about a .45.

H&K-Guy

Posts: 3720 | Registered: April 08, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 9mmepiphany:

I've carried a folded slide 220 as a duty gun and taught extensively with a 220ST.

I shot a CZ97 when they first came out and could never get over the roughness of the trigger or the shortness of the slide.

I've only put a few boxes of rounds through a HK45 but have a sort of love affair with it...except for the trigger. Other than the trigger, the HK45 has the best ergos of any .45ACP on the market and unmatched reliability and accuracy.

Ahhh...the HK45. It's a magnificent gun hobbled by a mediocre at best trigger.

But because the trigger is important when it comes to shooting a gun, I'd go with the P220 in this scenario.

Posts: 462 | Location: Illinois | Registered: June 13, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Wasabi
posted Hide Post
I'd lean towards an HK45 or Beretta PX4.

Posts: 731 | Location: Lutz, FL | Registered: March 14, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
HK45 first. 10+1, best grip and soft shooting. I have one from around 2008 that is a keeper. In SA the trigger is fine, so cocked and locked is the way to go. DA sucks.

P220 Legion SAO is a close second. Looses a little capacity, but pretty much can replace any 1911 except a true target gun.

Posts: 4690 | Location: Indiana | Registered: December 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Prepared for the Worst, Providing the Best
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
Well, the OP never really specified what the intended use is so I'm going to have to speak from my own personal use-case, which would be carry. If you're looking for a competition gun or a range toy, obviously different considerations apply.

I'm going with the P220. Excellent trigger, a manual of arms that I'm confident with, and the grip fits my hand perfectly. It also carries well for a full-size, although the compact variant is even better in that regard.

The CZ97 is too huge and heavy. If I had one it would sit in the safe, and maybe go to the range once a year.

H&Ks...I've just never understood the appeal. I won't argue that they're not good, reliable guns, because they are...but every one I've ever shot has left me wondering what the fuss is all about. The triggers tend to be mediocre, the ergos are weird, and they lack the positive, crisp controls that I like in a handgun. I'm not bashing H&K here...I still shoot them when offered and enjoy them, but I prefer my classic Sigs.

Posts: 8377 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Honor and Integrity
posted Hide Post
HK45, but would rather have the HK45c.

Posts: 2219 | Location: Fitchburg, WI | Registered: March 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Giftedly Outspoken
Picture of sigarms229
posted Hide Post
I've shot the Sig and HK and I'd take the Sig. The 220 is a legendary pistol, and while the HK is well regarded, it isn't in the legendary category yet.

Sometimes, you gotta roll the hard six

Posts: 4507 | Location: SouthCentral PA | Registered: December 05, 1999Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diablo Blanco
Picture of dking271
posted Hide Post
I have shot and carried HKs but I hated the HK45 enough to have dumped it after trying so hard to like it. I shoot my P220 extremely well and have no experience with the CZ. The easy answer for me is the P220.

Posts: 2928 | Location: Middle-TN | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 9mmepiphany
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jimmo952:
quote:
Originally posted by 9mmepiphany:

Ahhh...the HK45. It's a magnificent gun hobbled by a mediocre at best trigger.

But because the trigger is important when it comes to shooting a gun, I'd go with the P220 in this scenario.

The HK is a odd dichotomy for me because it is indeed the best handling of the three, but has a mushy trigger...when pulled slowly.

When used at speed, somehow that mushiness disappears as you reset and prep the trigger. It is very easy to break fast, accurate, and controlled shots with the H&K trigger. When prepping the DA trigger on the pushout from the draw, the H&K trigger is easier to manage than that of a good 220 to make that accurate first shot. It is only a handicap if you wait until the gun is fully extended before starting the press of the trigger

Posts: 14174 | Location: northern california | Registered: February 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 9mmepiphany
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigarms229:
The 220 is a legendary pistol, and while the HK is well regarded, it isn't in the legendary category yet.

I think the HK45 is mostly hurt on this point by the continued existence of the USP 45...which it was supposed to replace, along with the rest of the USP line, when H&K introduced the P-30 and HK45

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 92fstech:
Well, the OP never really specified what the intended use is so I'm going to have to speak from my own personal use-case, which would be carry.
If you're looking for a competition gun or a range toy, obviously different considerations apply.

I'm going with the P220.
Excellent trigger, a manual of arms that I'm confident with, and the grip fits my hand perfectly.
It also carries well for a full-size, although the compact variant is even better in that regard.

The CZ97 is too huge and heavy. If I had one it would sit in the safe, and maybe go to the range once a year.

H&Ks...I've just never understood the appeal.
I won't argue that they're not good, reliable guns, because they are...but every one I've ever shot has left me wondering what the fuss is all about.
The triggers tend to be mediocre, the ergos are weird, and they lack the positive, crisp controls that I like in a handgun.
I'm not bashing H&K here...I still shoot them when offered and enjoy them, but I prefer my classic Sigs.

A P220 is a truly fine pistol, which always makes me look like I'm a better shot than I am.
I missed the opportunity to own a BDA new at dealer cost and will always regret it.
While some others may say that it is a dated design, it is IMHO a true classic amongst all of the classic SIG's.
I would gladly carry it with confidence...

The other two, while fine options in their own right, personally leave me cold and disinterested.

Posts: 3 | Registered: December 24, 2021Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 4MUL8R
posted Hide Post
P220. Had a HK45C. Traded it for a Glock G36, back in the day when the G36 was the next amazing pistol. Huge, wide, high, and expensive traded for small, easy to carry, and completely weird design. So many parts were not the same on the G36…such as the extended slide release. I ended up dumping that pistol as well.

-------
Trying to simplify my life...

Posts: 5041 | Location: Commonwealth of Virginia | Registered: January 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
Older P220. I have one in DAO that I really like.

Posts: 26846 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
HK USP45

Posts: 255 | Location: Oregon | Registered: April 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Got my P220 as a gift from my wife in the early 90s. We are ALL still together. Cool
I have custom 1911s, for competition, Smith revolvers for PPC, Lots of Glocks.
The P220 is my carry gun.

"You can tell a lot about the character of a man, by the way he treats those who can do nothing for him."

Posts: 14 | Location: Central Oklahoma | Registered: November 17, 2021Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hk45C

Posts: 72 | Registered: April 24, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If I have 3 Choices, why are 2 of them taken away already?

I mean- HK45 and Sig P220 are already 'chosen', so I only get one choice now.

But, the title of the thread said I get 3 choices.

Sorry- just a bit confused.

If you are asking what my third pistol would be in addition to the HK45 and P220, that is one type of question.

Or, are you asking what I would get if I could ONLY have 3 handguns?

Lastly, what is the purpose? carry? nightstand? range 'fun'? Competition?

If I had to have the HK45 and a Sig P220, my third handgun would have to be a .22lr of some form. My Ruger 22/45 never has failed, but there are a lot of other designs out there also.

Sigs and Non-Sigs: I enjoy having options!

Posts: 683 | Location: South San Joaquin Valley, CA | Registered: September 21, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of grumpy1
posted Hide Post
I have three .45 pistols. A 1996 vintaage P220, an HK45, and SIG 1911. I love them ail but if I could have only one it would be the HK45 as I can shoot it as well as my other two, it holds 10 rounds, is easier to clean and maintain, and it is designed for extreme reliability and durablity. Close second place is pretty much a tie between my P220 and 1911. Own a CZ SP01 and handled the CZ97 but no intertest in it considering what I already have.

http://pistol-training.com/archives/4027 -- HK45 50,000 round endurance test.

Posts: 9729 | Location: Northern Illinois | Registered: March 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post