SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    You have 3 choices, which would you choose, HK45,Sig P220 or
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

You have 3 choices, which would you choose, HK45,Sig P220 or Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
I own 2 P220s, A folded slide and an ASE. But I would like to give the CZ 97 a try.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 15988 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
P220 for sure, with CZC 97 close behind

Posts: 146 | Registered: August 31, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 9mmepiphany:
quote:
Originally posted by Jimmo952:
quote:
Originally posted by 9mmepiphany:
I've had several 220s over the years.

I've carried a folded slide 220 as a duty gun and taught extensively with a 220ST.

I shot a CZ97 when they first came out and could never get over the roughness of the trigger or the shortness of the slide.

I've only put a few boxes of rounds through a HK45 but have a sort of love affair with it...except for the trigger. Other than the trigger, the HK45 has the best ergos of any .45ACP on the market and unmatched reliability and accuracy.

Of the three you've listed the HK45 would be my choice

Ahhh...the HK45. It's a magnificent gun hobbled by a mediocre at best trigger.

But because the trigger is important when it comes to shooting a gun, I'd go with the P220 in this scenario.

The HK is a odd dichotomy for me because it is indeed the best handling of the three, but has a mushy trigger...when pulled slowly.

When used at speed, somehow that mushiness disappears as you reset and prep the trigger. It is very easy to break fast, accurate, and controlled shots with the H&K trigger. When prepping the DA trigger on the pushout from the draw, the H&K trigger is easier to manage than that of a good 220 to make that accurate first shot. It is only a handicap if you wait until the gun is fully extended before starting the press of the trigger

I'm glad that the HK45 worked out for you.

I tried. I tried pretty hard with that gun and just couldn't get there.

I could shoot it ok but the thing never felt really natural to me.

Now HK's LEM trigger I took to like a duck to water.

Posts: 462 | Location: Illinois | Registered: June 13, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Syngin1066
posted Hide Post
I was pondering the same about a month ago. Classic P220 or a HK 45. I was ready to buy the HK and then a 227 SAS fell into my lap. I really felt that I got the best of both worlds, increased capacity of the HK and the better trigger of the Sig in a roughly 229 sized package.

All I've had all day is like six gummy bears and some scotch...

Posts: 4851 | Location: Celina, TX | Registered: February 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Texaspoff
posted Hide Post
I'm gonna have to go with a Glock G30 SF on this one. Good size, round capacity, reliable, and durable.

TXPO

Coldborecustom.com

Posts: 258 | Location: Texas | Registered: January 12, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of wacopolumbo
posted Hide Post
CZ97

Regards,
Waco

Learning from my mistakes since 1974...

Posts: 1713 | Location: Yorktown, VA | Registered: July 03, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Imagination and focus
become reality
posted Hide Post
Of those listed, I prefer my HK45c. But lately, my Walther PDP Compact has taken first place!

Posts: 6603 | Location: Northwest Indiana | Registered: August 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The SIG 220 Carry is one of my favorite 45s.

Posts: 12551 | Registered: January 17, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'd choose the HK45ct if I could only have one.

Posts: 872 | Location: TN | Registered: December 26, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
never sure what these posts accomplish. But of those 3 (not some other suggestion) I'm HK45 all day every day. Reliability, operating system options, shape and size, support. etc...

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 10966 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of valkyrie1
posted Hide Post
Well the purpose of this topic is to help me decide on my next .45, theres a wealth of info here and before plunking money down it pays to have real opinions, not from paid magazine articles. While i have numerous CZs I just couldnt get comfortable with the size of the 97 I tried recently. So its down to a P220 or Hk45. Thanks to all for your inputs, very much appreciated.

Posts: 2299 | Location: Florida | Registered: March 01, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Orive 8
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by valkyrie1:
quote:
Originally posted by KevH:
What do you want to use it for?

Mostly paper punching but could be a bedside gun

So what .45 would I choose for paper punching and a bedside gun? I carried a P220 for a time on duty and off duty, but not interested in one nowadays. Never liked the HK45 pistols. So, I guess some sort of 1911 or a Glock 21 with a grip reduction done by Robar (if I could find one) or another reputable company (Bowie Tactical or Cold Bore Customs).

Yeah, the 21 with the grip reduction would be it.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Tomorrow's battle is won during today's practice.

Posts: 1890 | Location: Collier Twp, PA | Registered: June 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Benderx4
posted Hide Post
I owned a HK45 fullsize and just couldn't get comfortable with the trigger. If a WC 1911 wasn't one of the choices, then it would definitely be the Sig P220 Legion.

Posts: 490 | Location: NE FL, JAX | Registered: July 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by valkyrie1:
Mostly paper punching but could be a bedside gun

A handgun for paper-punching could be nearly anything that blows your skirts up.

A bedside gun, OTOH, must be something with which you're practiced and the operation of which is instinctual for you.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 25989 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Uppity Helot
posted Hide Post
I am back in the .45 game and looking at all 3. I will get at least one second hand p220 regardless. The HK appeals to me but the polygonal rifling would necessitate a barrel swap (Jarvis) if I want to use cast bullet practice ammo. The CZ97 seems to have a reputation for excellent accuracy but some specimens seem to be ammo sensitive from what I have gleaned online.

Posts: 3122 | Location: Manheim, PA | Registered: September 04, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Casuistic Thinker and Daoist
Picture of 9mmepiphany
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by divil:
The HK appeals to me but the polygonal rifling would necessitate a barrel swap (Jarvis) if I want to use cast bullet practice ammo.

Don't get hung up on that urban legend.

The belief was birthed when Glock advised not to shoot lead bullets in their barrels due to lead build-up. This isn't a polygonal barrel issue, it is a Glock issue. Glock's polygonal barrel isn't a true polygonal barrel as used in H&K barrels

No, Daoism isn't a religion

Posts: 14174 | Location: northern california | Registered: February 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have an HK 45 and a Sig P 220. They are both great guns. Out of the box,the sig has a much better trigger and Its more concealable. The HK is huge but with a light is great for home defense. Both of mine have been 100% reliable.

Posts: 34 | Registered: June 10, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My .45's.
Sig P-220 , H@K USP , and Les Baer Thunder Ranch. Love them all.

Front sight...Front sight...Front sight...Only Hits Count.
NRA Life Member
Frank John Boy -Police Lingo

Posts: 125 | Registered: July 30, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My favorite is my P220 Carry. It has Gray Guns flat trigger, SRT, 18 lb hammer spring and Crimson Trace laser grips. Fantastic carry gun

Jeeps...guns...German Shepherds!

Posts: 81 | Registered: September 29, 2021Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Still finding my way
Picture of Ryanp225
posted Hide Post
Hard to beat a CZ97.

Posts: 10822 | Registered: January 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post