SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    HK LEM trigger - yay or nay?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

HK LEM trigger - yay or nay? Login/Join 
posted
I know there are some folks here who shoot HK pistols and I'm curious their opinions regarding the HK LEM trigger - specifically for the USP line.

There are at least 7 (maybe 9?) variations of trigger possibilities for the USP models. I have a USP compact in V3 (DA/decocker) mode that is perfectly fine. My preference is V1 (SA-condition 1/DA/deocker), but I'm used to either V3 or V1.

I do have a Kahr (which I like a lot) that I think would be similar in pull weight and reset to the HK LEM, but what say you fellows and ladies about the LEM trigger?

Posts: 4981 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of grumpy1
posted Hide Post
I like LEM P30SK for CCW but for my other HKs I prefer DA/SA. For the USP line it is easy enough to try out with the LEM kit and you could always put it back if you don't like it.

Posts: 9747 | Location: Northern Illinois | Registered: March 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SevenPlusOne
posted Hide Post
quote:
I do have a Kahr (which I like a lot) that I think would be similar in pull weight and reset to the HK LEM, but what say you fellows and ladies about the LEM trigger?

The Kahr and LEM are actually very different in the way they feel. The LEM is more like a single action, but with a super light long take up. I prefer the LEM trigger in HKs.
The Kahr is much closer to the DAK.

"Ninja kick the damn rabbit"

Posts: 4619 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: October 11, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
Light LEM is great, like a long 2-stage trigger; first stage effortless takeup to a wall / light 3lb break. Reset to just past the reset, short takeup to the break for follow on shots.

I don't carry my HKs anymore but they all were light LEM. It's different than any other animal but great.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RHINOWSO:
Light LEM is great, like a long 2-stage trigger; first stage effortless takeup to a wall / light 3lb break. Reset to just past the reset, short takeup to the break for follow on shots.

I don't carry my HKs anymore but they all were light LEM. It's different than any other animal but great.

Absolutely. Had the P30 with the Light LEM. If I were buying an HK again, it will have the Light LEM and nothing else.

Q

Posts: 26409 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I like the LEM quite a lot. I carried a P2000SK with a LEM trigger for some time. I use it on the HK45C as well.

Like any trigger system, it's simply a matter of training with it and comfort. I think anyone can adapt to any trigger system and become very proficient: the LEM is no different.

I have the same pistols with Variant 3 triggers (Double action/single action), and it's night and day better with the LEM set up, in my opinion. The HK double action trigger, without some work, is gritty and poor, while the single action trigger is crisp and clean and a well defined reset. The LEM makes both a bit more fuzzy, but was designed as a user-friendly way to throw a universal trigger into an organization that made a lighter double action pull and a theoretical transition to single action easier, without decocking..it's a compromise answer, but I think it works well.

Variant 1:
 Double action/single action with "SAFE” position. Control lever (manual safety/decoking lever) on left side of frame.
Variant 2: 
Double action/single action with "SAFE” position. Control lever (manual safety/decocking lever) on right side of frame.
Variant 3: 
Double action/single action without "SAFE” position. Control lever (decocking lever) on left side of frame.
Variant 4: 
Double action/single action without ”SAFE” position. Control lever (decocking lever) on right side of frame.
Variant 5: 
Double action only with ”SAFE” position. Control lever (manual safety) on left side of frame.
Variant 6: 
Double action only with ”SAFE” position. Control lever (manual safety) on right side of frame.
Variant 7: 
Double action without control lever (no manual safety/decocking lever)
Variant 8: 
Double action without control lever (no manual safety/decocking lever)
SPECIAL VARIANT FOR GOVERNMENT AGENCY
Variant 9: 
Double action/single action with control lever (manual safety/no decocking function) on left side of frame.
Variant 10: 
Double action/single action with control lever (manual safety/no decocking function) on right side of frame.

It gets a lot more complicated, with varying spring weights, and LEM are not part of the standard variants, and LEM can have variants as noted ("light LEM" being most popular, it seems).

The LEM trigger reminded me of the old Daewoo system, when it came out.

Posts: 6650 | Registered: September 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Learn it, know it, live it
Picture of 1lowlife
posted Hide Post
I'd say nay.

I bought a used HK UPSC9 with a DA/SA thumb safety and didn't care for it.
I converted it to LEM, (since I liked DAK triggers at the time) and REALLY didn't care for it.
It was a trigger with a ton of slack and a little engagement at the rear of the pull.
Sorry to get so technical.. Eek

I sold the HK and favored the Glock, and it's trigger, for carry since.

Before the conversion..

After the conversion..

Reverted it back to DA/SA, sold the pistol and the LEM parts.

Never wanted an HK firearm since...
But keep in mind I've never been a fan of external manipulated safeties.

Posts: 4360 | Location: Great State of TEXAS | Registered: July 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Don't Panic
Picture of joel9507
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 12131:
quote:
Originally posted by RHINOWSO:

Absolutely. Had the P30 with the Light LEM. If I were buying an HK again, it will have the Light LEM and nothing else.

+1 Light LEM (V1) on the P30L here. Like a DAK (which I love, BTW), but with longer travel and a lighter, crisper break at the end.

Posts: 15031 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: October 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Like the LEM but I prefer DAK.

I'd rather be hated for who I am than loved for who I'm not.

Posts: 3652 | Location: The armpit of Ohio | Registered: August 18, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
For real?
Picture of Chowser
posted Hide Post
I’m going to say nay. My HKs are all DA/SA but have parts plated with NP3.

Try HK LEM before you buy. Granted, it is better than DAO. A neighboring PD was issued DAO HK USPs in .45 and most hated the DAO. They were allowed to purchase LEM kits and I did the conversions for them.

I just didn’t like it. I grew up on the M9 so da/sa has been my forte since high school. Also I’m issued a Glock Smile

Not minority enough!

Posts: 8021 | Location: Cleveland, OH | Registered: August 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A day late, and
a dollar short
Picture of Warhorse
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by joatmonv:
Like the LEM but I prefer DAK.

I have only had an opportunity to try the HK LEM a couple of times. I bought a 1st Gen SAS229, they came with DAK trigger, I too much preferred the DAK. Sad to say I sold it, it had a much better trigger than other DAK Sig's I have tried since.

Posts: 13681 | Location: Michigan | Registered: July 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have 5 H&K's and I prefer the LEM trigger but it is getting hard to find. Skip the part where you say do the conversion myself. I am at my gunsmith zenith by simple cleaning and the local gunsmith looks at H&K's and rather not work on them.

My P2000 (.40), P30sk (9mm), and .45c are LEM. I had to buy the .45c as a DA/SA and have H&K convert. My P2000sk (.40)and P30 (.40) are D/SA. Yes I like .40's.

__________________Making Good People Helpless . . . Will Not Make Bad People Harmless!___________________

Posts: 1731 | Location: South Carolina | Registered: May 26, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Many thanks for the replies, guys. I appreciate the input.

From other reading, if one chooses the LEM trigger the light LEM seems to be the one more often used. Unfortunately I don't have the opportunity to try one so I think I'll make the change and give it a go. Worst case, I send it back to the 'smith for conversion to V1. So far I've been able to adapt to any trigger system I've come across, we'll see if that holds true for the LEM.

I know this conversion is one that a lot of folks do on their own, but it's not something I feel confident I could get right. I can field strip just fine (who can't Smile) but anything more on my part is risking trouble.

Posts: 4981 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of dc54
posted Hide Post
I found I shot my LEM HKs very well when I shot them exclusively. I like shooting a variety of guns and had trouble transitioning back to the LEM. I stopped carrying them for this reason. Great system if you train with it.

Sigs, HKs, 1911s, Berettas, Glocks and SW revolvers

Posts: 1034 | Location: GA | Registered: February 04, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
For real?
Picture of Chowser
posted Hide Post
I’ve only done the conversions on USPs and USP Compacts. Not the P30 or P2000.
I can get one done in under ten minutes. The hardest part is the trigger return spring. I bought a specific pliers someone made just for it. Plenty of videos out there.

Not minority enough!

Posts: 8021 | Location: Cleveland, OH | Registered: August 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I don’t like light LEM. It is really light to my taste. I think standard LEM is too heavy. I found what was perfect for me in the Todd Green Special. Basically you mix some springs from the standard and the light to produce a middle ground. Easy to do. Makes my P2000 really nice.

Posts: 7507 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I like the LEM for the P30, for the USPs I found the trigger to be nice enough not to need a LEM. YMMV.

Posts: 4591 | Location: Where ever Uncle Sam Sends Me | Registered: March 05, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
We gonna get some
oojima in this house!
Picture of smithnsig
posted Hide Post
10 tries to get a good trigger. HK is a vastly overrated pistol. All of them. I owned many and tried to love them but they suck as shooters. Reliable yes, but so is everything else.
I’ve had USPs, P30s, P2000s. I miss none of them. Never tried the VPs. Just so much water under the bridge that I don’t care.

-----------------------------------------------------------
TCB all the time...

Posts: 6501 | Location: Cantonment/Perdido Key, Florida | Registered: September 28, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted Hide Post
I am a nay. I prefer DA/SA. The LEM was just odd feeling to be in practice.

There is certainly nothing wrong with it, it was just not to my taste.

"Guns are tools. The only weapon ever created was man."

Posts: 7683 | Location: On the water | Registered: July 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I had one until I sold it to acquire another weapon.

Granted the LEM Trigger takes getting used to but it is great. It is an excellent option on a P30SK .

The trigger is smooth and easy to use. You’ll get the hang of it before the end of a box of ammo.

Posts: 702 | Location: Gatesville, TX | Registered: January 07, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post