SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    ANIB SIG P230SL
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

ANIB SIG P230SL Login/Join 
34" Scale 5-String
Picture of bronicabill
posted
Just brought home what I consider to be SIG's most elegant pistol ever (I'm sure some of you will insist it's the P210, and that's okay).

I bought a used but unfired P230SL from an individual in Kentucky, and it arrived at my favorite LGS this morning... and I was there waiting on it! It of course included everything just like new; 2 stainless 7-round mags, manual test target, lock, and original grey case. I had one of these one other time but discovered cracks in the frame and had to return it for a refund (no replacements available to exchange it for).

As is the norm, pics or it didn't happen... so here are two quick ones.

Now I have one of my all-time favorite SIGs back in the fold again!!! A range trip is in order this coming Monday morning. Big Grin

Posts: 4588 | Location: Madison, AL | Registered: December 06, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 1KPerDay
posted Hide Post
Beauty. Congrats!

---------------------------
My hovercraft is full of eels.

Posts: 3211 | Registered: February 27, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Wait, what?
Picture of gearhounds
posted Hide Post
An elegant little, if a bit snappy, pistol. Congrats.

“Remember to get vaccinated or a vaccinated person might get sick from a virus they got vaccinated against because you’re not vaccinated.” - author unknown

Posts: 15584 | Location: Martinsburg WV | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I'm not laughing
WITH you
Picture of Rolan_Kraps
posted Hide Post
One of the guns I regret selling. Frown

Rolan Kraps
SASS Regulator
Gainesville, Georgia.
NRA Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Instructor - Pistol / Personal Protection Inside the Home

Posts: 23577 | Location: Gainesville, GA | Registered: October 11, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
34" Scale 5-String
Picture of bronicabill
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rolan_Kraps:

I almost cried when I had to return my first one to the LGS for a refund due to the cracks in the frame, so VERY happy to have gotten another one, even if I might have overpaid slightly for it.

Based on what I've seen recently though, an ANIB unfired P230SL is getting really hard to come by, so it's actually sorta worth whatever someone is willing to pay for it, and the premium I gave really wasn't bad at all! Big Grin

Posts: 4588 | Location: Madison, AL | Registered: December 06, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of GrandPotter
posted Hide Post
I owned one of these, but because it is Direct Blow-back, it was way too snappy for my female hands. I sold it and have gotten two 238's and two 938. I love all four.

But it was a really sharp looking pistol for it's time and be thankful you got the SL version. I have fired the non-all stainless version from a friend of mine and "HELL NO!" It really hurt firing it.

Nevertheless, enjoy a piece of Sig history. I am sure it will serve you well.

ALL women should Conceal Carry.

Posts: 4599 | Location: Georgia  | Registered: January 18, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
34" Scale 5-String
Picture of bronicabill
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by GrandPotter:
I owned one of these, but because it is Direct Blow-back, it was way too snappy for my female hands. I sold it and have gotten two 238's and two 938. I love all four.

But it was a really sharp looking pistol for it's time and be thankful you got the SL version. I have fired the non-all stainless version from a friend of mine and "HELL NO!" It really hurt firing it.

Nevertheless, enjoy a piece of Sig history. I am sure it will serve you well.

Yes, the blued version with aluminum frame is a bit snappy, and not all that much fun to shoot (just recently sold my regular P230). But the all-stainless version absorbs recoil much better due to the additional weight, and to me is not offensive to shoot (I also have a .40S&W pistol and .357SIG, so recoil is not an issue for me)!

Picture of PGT
posted Hide Post
Nice thing about the SL version is that little surface scratches that appear from handling are easy to buff out. having a few 3M scotchbrite pads handy to put the 'grain' back in the polished areas. I've brought more than a few ratty 230SL's back from "LE surplus" status over the years.

Posts: 3089 | Registered: December 21, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
It's all part of
the adventure...
posted Hide Post
I agree — one of the most beautiful guns ever. The lines are graceful.

Yours is gorgeous!

Regards From Sunny Tucson,
SigFan

NRA Life - IDPA - USCCA - GOA - JPFO - ACLDN - SAF - AZCDL - ASA

"Faith isn't believing that God can; it's knowing that He will." (From a sign on a church in Nicholasville, Kentucky)

Posts: 1681 | Location: Tucson, Arizona | Registered: January 30, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
It's not you,
it's me.
Picture of RAMIUS
posted Hide Post
Sexy As fuck. Especially with some nice hogue grips.

I have a p232 and it’s the one gun I’ll never sell. I guess I’m not affected by the snappiness people talk about, love shooting it. Natural pointer and very accurate.

Posts: 7016 | Location: Right outside Philly | Registered: September 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Very nice.

I could see myself getting slide bite, but they are dead sexy.

Posts: 10055 | Registered: October 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
34" Scale 5-String
Picture of bronicabill
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Excam_Man:
Very nice.

I could see myself getting slide bite, but they are dead sexy.

You know, I had that problem with the Walther PPK that I used to own, and that’s why I quickly resold it! However, in the hundreds of rounds that I’ve put through the three different P230s I’ve owned over the years, I have NEVER had that happen with the SIG! I’m not sure of what the difference is that keeps it from happening, but something about the SIG has corrected the Walther’s worst characteristic!

Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
Nice gun, but have never been a 9x18 fan. Is there a reason SIG never made the P230 in 9x19? Because I would have owned at least one of this model.

Q

Posts: 26403 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Very little felt recoil with mine! Congratulations!
Word of warning, use a glove to avoid “slide-bit”.

Posts: 627 | Location: San Antonio, TX | Registered: October 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Nice find Bill. This and the 232 are my fav pistols, I have 8 or 10 in different models. Plus one on the Hogue rubber grips, they absorb recoil and eliminate any slide bite.

Posts: 934 | Location: Central Ohio | Registered: January 05, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
34" Scale 5-String
Picture of bronicabill
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fquico:
Very little felt recoil with mine! Congratulations!
Word of warning, use a glove to avoid “slide-bit”.

I have owned three other 230's over the years, and have put many hundreds of rounds downrange through them. In all that time, I've never once experienced slide bite from any of them!

Now the Walther PPS that I owned very briefly... that sucker would slice my hand open, which is why ownership of it was very brief!

34" Scale 5-String
Picture of bronicabill
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Genorogers:
Nice find Bill. This and the 232 are my fav pistols, I have 8 or 10 in different models. <<snip>>

Eight or ten of them?!? Wow, you really are a fan! Big Grin

Like Q said above, it'd be really cool if it was available in 9mm (9x19), but since it's straight blow-back, I understand why not...

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bronicabill:
Just brought home what I consider to be SIG's most elegant pistol ever...

I'm with ya...but I'd argue my blued version takes the cake. Smile

Great pistol you have there!

Posts: 1251 | Location: Oregon | Registered: March 18, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Just did a safe scan and there are more than 10, 6 are NIB including a 232 in 7.65. Only NIB 232 7.65 I've been able to land in 10 years of looking.

Sorry for the crappy cell phone pics.

Posts: 934 | Location: Central Ohio | Registered: January 05, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rolan_Kraps:

Me too even though she made me bleed.
I bought mine to celebrate my college graduation and sold it during the great .380 depression.

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!

Posts: 25426 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post