SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    WilsonCombat 1911 Magazines - Which one??
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

WilsonCombat 1911 Magazines - Which one?? Login/Join 
Picture of sgalczyn
posted
OK - so bought a SA Garrison on impulse - LGS had it and not an Emissary in 45ACP.

It comes with (1)-7 rounder, so I picked up another at the shop - a WisonCombat 47DC on the sales guy suggestion.

In the interest of getting more - I perused the WC site:
https://shopwilsoncombat.com/8-Round/products/371/
Eek Eek Eek
So many choices - have yee particular recommendations?

This message has been edited. Last edited by: sgalczyn,

"No matter where you go - there you are"

Posts: 4576 | Location: Eastern PA-Berks/Lehigh Valley | Registered: January 03, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
More Wilson 47DC's, if you like the lower-profile base pad. Wilson 47D if you want the slightly larger base pad.

I bought 47D's for my Remington R1 Enhanced, but I also ended-up adding a Smith & Alexander mag guide, so the larger base pad was a plus.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Wilson 47D is the best.
Wilson ETM is the improved most bestest. Ain't advertising wonderful?

The last single stack magazine I bought was CMC RPM.

Posts: 3287 | Location: Florence, Alabama, USA | Registered: July 05, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Resident Rogue and Blackguard
Picture of FPNunes
posted Hide Post
I have only used the Wilson 47Ds in all of my 1911s since Bill brought them to market. After many thousands of rounds, I wouldn't use any other magazine.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: FPNunes,

Save the whales. Redeem them for valuable prizes...

Posts: 1556 | Location: Missing New England everyday | Registered: March 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Each post crafted from
rich Corinthian leather
Picture of TheFrontRange
posted Hide Post
For me and my 1911s, it’s the model 47 seven-rounder equipped with their low-profile steel basepad. I have a pile of these in both black (Model 47CB) and stainless (Model 47C) finish. These are the only 1911 magazines I use.

"The sea was angry that day, my friends - like an old man trying to send back soup in a deli." - George Costanza

Posts: 6693 | Registered: September 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
Wilson 47D/47DC mags can be fine, as long as you remember that they are a 40+ year old design originally intended as a way to have 7+1 in the 1911 after a slide lock reload, instead of the 6+1 of a standard 7 round 1911 magazine of that day.

That is, 47Ds were not intended to be carried with 8 in the magazine plus 1 in the chamber. Fully loaded 47Ds were intended to be inserted with the slide locked back, to end up with 7+1 once the slide is released. In some 1911s, they won't even seat when the slide is forward and the magazine is fully loaded with 8 rounds. Even when they can be seated with the slide forward, using them for 8+1 can overstress the internals, which can cause premature weakening of the magazine spring and reliability issues over time.

This stems from the fact that both the 7 round and 8 round 47 series mags use the same magazine body and spring, with just a slight follower change in the 8 rounders to allow for barely enough room to cram the 8th round inside the magazine body.

Wilson's newer 500 series Elite Tactical mags, on the other hand, were specifically designed for 8+1 carry. The ETMs are slightly longer in length than the 47 series and were built from the ground up around 8+1 carry, rather than simply shoehorning an 8th round into a 7 round magazine body/spring like the 47D/47DC.

As a result, I use 47Ds as range magazines with 7+1, and ETMs for serious use with 8+1.

Posts: 32506 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
Skip them all and stick to Metalform 7rd magazines in stainless with the welded baseplates and rounded metal followers.

I toss, give away, or intentionally avoid the rest, and I find 47Ds to be the worst of the bunch. Never understood the appeal. It's a crap design, imo.

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I use the Wilson 47 magazine with 7 rounds, but also the Chip McCormick magazines.

Posts: 6650 | Registered: September 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jim Watson:
Wilson 47D is the best.
Wilson ETM is the improved most bestest. Ain't advertising wonderful?

The last single stack magazine I bought was CMC RPM.

I never understood all the hoopla about the Wilson/Rogers Magazines, never liked the Plastic Follower, either--Last Single Stack 1911 Mags I bought were CMC Power Mags, IIRC, and they're rockin' along just fine...

Posts: 645 | Location: Griffin, GA, USA | Registered: November 03, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
On the wrong side of
the Mobius strip
Picture of Patrick-SP2022
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RogueJSK:
Wilson 47D/47DC mags can be fine, as long as you remember that they are a 40+ year old design originally intended as a way to have 7+1 in the 1911 after a slide lock reload, instead of the 6+1 of a standard 7 round 1911 magazine of that day.

That is, 47Ds were not intended to be carried with 8 in the magazine plus 1 in the chamber. Fully loaded 47Ds were intended to be inserted with the slide locked back, to end up with 7+1 once the slide is released. In some 1911s, they won't even seat when the slide is forward and the magazine is fully loaded with 8 rounds. Even when they can be seated with the slide forward, using them for 8+1 can overstress the internals, which can cause premature weakening of the magazine spring and reliability issues over time.

This stems from the fact that both the 7 round and 8 round 47 series mags use the same magazine body and spring, with just a slight follower change in the 8 rounders to allow for barely enough room to cram the 8th round inside the magazine body.

Wilson's newer 500 series Elite Tactical mags, on the other hand, were specifically designed for 8+1 carry. The ETMs are slightly longer in length than the 47 series and were built from the ground up around 8+1 carry, rather than simply shoehorning an 8th round into a 7 round magazine body/spring like the 47D/47DC.

As a result, I use 47Ds as range magazines with 7+1, and ETMs for serious use with 8+1.

I have learned something new here.
Thanks for your insight.

Posts: 4127 | Location: Texas | Registered: April 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Mec-Gar. Their 7- and 8-round magazines are as good as, if not better than, anything mentioned above.

Posts: 77 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: May 30, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Tried the CMC Power-Mags and very disappointed in them. Now I stick with the Wilson ETM mags and have no complaints.

Posts: 6617 | Location: Az | Registered: May 27, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Casuistic Thinker and Daoist
Picture of 9mmepiphany
posted Hide Post
Wilson magazines, specifically the 47 series, have the basic flaw of trying to stuff too many rounds into too short a body. Wilson will replace your mags when they fail...because they always do.

If you must have a magazine from that era, go with the Chip McCormick(CMC)PowerMags. Be aware that that CMC magazines is now owned by Wilson since Chip retired.If you're set on buying the Wilson name, do yourself a favor and get the newer ETM ones.

ACT-Mag and MEC-Gar make nice mags at very reasonable prices. Metalform magazines are a great value if you don't mind welded on baseplates.

The important thing to remember is that 1911 magazines should be considered consumable items, like brake shoes, and need to be replaced when their lips start to spread

No, Daoism isn't a religion

Posts: 14184 | Location: northern california | Registered: February 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of dcowboyscr
posted Hide Post
I prefer the Wilson-Vickers 8 round Duty magazines that have flat chrome silicone springs. Pricey but worth it.

"Clear Eyes. Full Hearts. Can't Lose."

Posts: 3093 | Location: Indianapolis, Indiana, USA | Registered: September 04, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
I have a bunch of 47s and ETMs, they work fine for normal use but I’ve yet to be mean to them. (Dropping them in the sand repeatedly in USPSA where I learned the PowerMags were awful for that and the Metalforms shined)

Metal form seems to have really reduced their lineup and stopped selling the versions I used to buy. I only started buying Wilson’s when I found I could get them at a good price. I sure don’t need them but I keep buying them. I have a 1911 mag problem.

Posts: 21105 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sgalczyn
posted Hide Post
The SF braintrust delivers as always - thank you all.

"No matter where you go - there you are"

Posts: 4576 | Location: Eastern PA-Berks/Lehigh Valley | Registered: January 03, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Quiet Man
posted Hide Post
I'm not a big fan of 47Ds. Springs don't seem to last very long. I tend to replace the guts with Tripp 7 kits and turn them into 7 round mags.

I've yet to wear out an ETM magazine. Recently I've been buying the Vickers mags. They're pricey and too long for guns without mag wells (for my eye at least) but they seem super solid.

Posts: 2593 | Registered: November 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I started with wilsons 47d. If I was running any of my 1911s seriously I would likely go with the CMC powermags now.

Posts: 3044 | Location: Pnw | Registered: March 21, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Uppity Helot
posted Hide Post
Kimpro 7 rounders for flush fitting 1911 mags. My experiences with the Wilson mags were underwhelming.

Posts: 3146 | Location: Manheim, PA | Registered: September 04, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post