SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    The much maligned Sig P225a1
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

The much maligned Sig P225a1 Login/Join 
posted
There is one thing I don't like about the 225a1. The magazines (of P239 design) seem like a random afterthought with an odd baseplate that feels one round shy of full. That is it.

I love everything else about this gun. I bought this particular one from Q. He didn't do anything to it other than swapping in some black and grey G10 Sig grips. Upon purchase I noted it had an outstanding out of the box trigger. (It should be noted that my other nib 225a1 also has an outstanding trigger as well.) The only mild complaint was that as smooth and crisp as it was it was slightly on the heavy side. I swapped a red DAK mainspring in and that went away as well.

I have owned 3 228's over the years and none of them were even close to the quality of this trigger. They were fine but noticeably inferior. I have a Legion 226 and Mk25 and an old West German 220 in 45. None have as good a trigger out of the box (yes I swapped the mainspring but it was still better).

I also swapped into some Ameriglo orange night sights which were a nice upgrade. That's it. This gun is very nearly perfect if you like single stack 9's.

So much dislike out there for this gun. Sig misread their audience I think on this one. Perhaps they should have given it its own number instead of sharing an icon's. Maybe that would have helped.

Who else likes these. And yes who else hates these. lol

Posts: 7483 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
There is absolutely nothing wrong with the P225-A1, except for the half-ass mag design. Would have been perfect, if they had put some practical thoughts into it. Could have designed a new 10-rounder, but no, they decided to put that useless long plastic extender at the bottom of the P239 mag. Roll Eyes

Q

Posts: 26390 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Yew got a spider
on yo head
Picture of DoctorSolo
posted Hide Post
I love the old P225, and I think the a1 is a cool gun too, it would be nice if they made the mags cross compatible with the older guns so those guys can find magazines easier.

Single stack guns have always had the best ergos for me and my girlie hands. I also really like the P239 and P220.

Not sure I can justify misplacing a more size efficient Glock 19 in my rotation at this point but I don't blame anyone for buying and enjoying the slim-nines. They are just cool.

If I had more money I would start collecting them, starting with a classic P225(the Sigforum banner gun taunts me daily!) and a 9mm P239, make that one a two-tone with Nills.

Posts: 5142 | Location: Colorado Springs | Registered: April 12, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I just have to say that I agree with everyone. I think the Sig P225a1 would have been way more popular if Sig had just designed a 9 or 10 round magazine instead of going cheap and reusing the P239 magazine body.

If you are going to go through the trouble of re-designing a pistol don't half-ass it.

Posts: 6623 | Location: Virginia | Registered: January 22, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Membership has its privileges
Picture of P-220
posted Hide Post
The answer to a question no one was asking.

When you think back to the Pre P6 import days. The P225 had almost a cult-like status.

While it fit most hands nicely, if you bought one and it did not fit your hand, you knew you could sell it and not take a loss.

The demand and the love for the original P225 was something I hoped Sig would be able to recreate with the P225 A.

Sadly, I believe the P225A will be seen as a swing and a miss, for Sig.

Niech Zyje P-220

Steve

Posts: 36840 | Location: 45174 | Registered: December 09, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Always regret trading mine. It was a mini-legion.

Posts: 1660 | Location: SC | Registered: December 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I will probably buy one if I run across one for the right price.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16091 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The 225a1 is my all time favorite Sig, my step son has claimed it more or less as “his” so if I run across another I will buy it. He’s a great young man so I really don’t mind sharing anything with him…

Posts: 455 | Location: Marblehead ohio | Registered: January 05, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I just got a Viktos sling bag last month. I’m not a huge off body carry fan but sometimes it is what it is and what is is convenient sometimes. The back compartment is nicely lined on both sides with the soft(loop) side of Velcro. It came with a soft nylon holster that Velcro’s in. Works well but I just put Velcro on an old kydex holster and it is a perfect matchup. I haven’t carried this thing in years but I am going to start in this manner. That’s what got me to write this thread. I pulled it out of safe, pulled the trigger a few times, and thought “that is every bit as nice as my Langdon stuff”.

Posts: 7483 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted Hide Post
I liked the 225A1 and was lamenting not picking one up. The simple fact is it was an 8 round, largish, metal gun released in a striker fired, plastic, high capacity world.

I liked the original, I liked the P239 and I liked the P225A1. The triggers were really great.

"Guns are tools. The only weapon ever created was man."

Posts: 7681 | Location: On the water | Registered: July 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
All true. If I place my 365 with the 17+1 round Macro mag next to it I feel like kind of an idiot for liking it so much. The 365 carries more than double and is smaller in every way and shoots great. Metal hammer guns just are so right though. And like I said, best out of box trigger probably that I’ve ever owned.

Unapologetic Old
School Curmudgeon
Picture of Lord Vaalic
posted Hide Post
They should have called it something else.

The same gun with updated P365 style mag and a higher round count would be awesome.

It was a great pistol, but the price tag for low round count hurt it in the general market, calling it a P225 hurt it in the enthusiast market.

Don't weep for the stupid, or you will be crying all day

Posts: 10729 | Location: TN | Registered: December 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Prepared for the Worst, Providing the Best
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
quote:
The same gun with updated P365 style mag and a higher round count would be awesome.

Now that right there would be cool. A slimline DA/SA P-Series with a stack-and-a-half mag!

Posts: 8570 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have the 225s, 239s, and 225A1. I like the single stacks best. While it would have been nice for more capacity mags, my grail sig(I already have a nickel p228 and p225) would have been a nickel or stainless 225-A1. The 225 was/is a top tier pistol a top tier pistol.

Posts: 263 | Registered: January 22, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Ergonomics are so much better than the P239. I wish they made a 225A1 in 40.

DPR

Posts: 656 | Registered: March 10, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 92fstech:
quote:

Now that right there would be cool. A slimline DA/SA P-Series with a stack-and-a-half mag!

I can’t afford another gun monetarily or the space needed……for the love of God don’t make a P225-A3 with say a 11-12 round thin mag……I don’t think I could pass that up.

"Guns are tools. The only weapon ever created was man."

Posts: 7681 | Location: On the water | Registered: July 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
34" Scale 5-String
Picture of bronicabill
posted Hide Post
I have never seen a P225A1 in person. If I did, and the price was right, I might have to take it home with me as I dearly love my original P225. It is my all-time favorite SIG-Sauer handgun!

Posts: 4587 | Location: Madison, AL | Registered: December 06, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Prepared for the Worst, Providing the Best
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cslinger:

I can’t afford another gun monetarily or the space needed……for the love of God don’t make a P225-A3 with say a 11-12 round thin mag……I don’t think I could pass that up.

I have a P6 that I spruced up with a Grayguns strut assembly, as the trigger was the only bad thing about that gun. The grip on that thing is just about perfect. I like shooting it, but mathematically it's hard to justify carrying it over other options. I'm either going to carry something that holds more 9mm bullets or my P220 compact/P245 because I like those even better, and they make a bigger hole. The P228/229 are a bit fat in the grip...if they could find a way to cram 13-15 rounds into the P225 grip shape, it would be a pretty compelling option.

Posts: 8570 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I like 'em.

quote:
Originally posted by DoctorSolo:

Single stack guns have always had the best ergos for me and my girlie hands.

Has always been my problem too. As far as the mags are concerned, I never felt ammo deficient with a 1911 and the same holds true with these.

Posts: 644 | Location: in the PA woods | Registered: March 11, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diablo Blanco
Picture of dking271
posted Hide Post
I had a 225 and liked everything about it except the trigger. I disliked the trigger so much I sold it off. I carried it for a while before switching over to an HKP2000 in 357 Sig. I would have bought the P225a1 just to have one, but the magazine seemingly being an afterthought to the gun scared me off. At the time I was considering one, I concluded that I might prefer a 239 instead and didn’t end up with either.

Posts: 2959 | Location: Middle-TN | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post