SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    The much maligned Sig P225a1
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

The much maligned Sig P225a1 Login/Join 
I started with nothing,
and still have most of it
Picture of stiab
posted Hide Post
Mine rattled so bad I had to let it go. Filling the rails with grease made no difference. I know that is not supposed to be a problem, but it was hard for me to work around it in my mind. Of the 2 dozen or so Sigs I have owned, this one rattled more than all thle rest combined. It was loose!!

"While not every Democrat is a horse thief, every horse thief is a Democrat." HORACE GREELEY

Posts: 1859 | Location: Central NC | Registered: May 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Can an A1 slide work on a German/Swiss frame? If so, it might be a niche answer to the mag silliness.

Happiness is a warm gun.

Posts: 447 | Location: Shenandoah Valley | Registered: February 15, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by neex:
Can an A1 slide work on a German/Swiss frame? If so, it might be a niche answer to the mag silliness.

No. Completely different animals. Nothing interchangeable between the old P225 and the new P225-A1.

Q

Posts: 26381 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I have lived the
greatest adventure
Picture of AUTiger89
posted Hide Post
That SIG didn't retain magazine compatability was ridiculously boneheaded move. Instead, quality mags for both the original and A1 are difficult to find.

The A1 does make a good suppressor host.

Phone's ringing, Dude.

Posts: 6042 | Location: Upstate SC | Registered: April 06, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I liked the P225A/A1 when they went live, but not enough to actually buy one. The ergonomics are markedly better to me than that of the P239, but I could never resolve the price differential between it and the first round of micro 9s (from before the time that they were called micro 9s) like the Shield, XDS, PPS and the rest of the polymer striker lot. Guns that had similar if not more capacity than the SIG did, yet sold for around half the price or even less. The P225A/A1 had the looks, but just didn't offer the value until its brief life was ultimately extinguished by SIG due to its paltry sales numbers. Yet it seems that due to those poor sales numbers during its short lifespan, the P225A/A1 has come to hold its value relatively well compared to its single-stack polymer contemporaries.

Every once and awhile I'd look around for a used one, thinking that I might find one at a decent bargain price; as I said I originally liked the gun. But from what I've seen the guns don't seem to come up for sale all that often and when they do, discounting the COVID effect nowadays they're often priced close if not equal to what they originally sold for when they were new.

-MG

Posts: 1989 | Location: The commie, rainy side of WA | Registered: April 19, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
That is an interesting point about sales. I remember the prices were out of control to my mind. Both of mine were purchased like new, but used. The bloom had come off the rose and I got both combined for around the msrp of one. Q sold his at a very reasonable price and the other one was also pretty inexpensive. I am actually surprised to hear they have kept their value. Great guns, but very niche in my opinion.

I always wanted to love the 228. That is why I have owned 3 of them. They are just a bit too chunky for my hand though. The 225a1 is perfect. IF they could keep that dimension and increase the capacity just a bit it might be the perfect metal Sig. I know that is a pipe dream. The time of the 225 is past but if I was Bezos rich I would create it.

Posts: 7473 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of dcowboyscr
posted Hide Post
I wish SIG had followed through with the talked about steel frame version of the 225A1.

"Clear Eyes. Full Hearts. Can't Lose."

Posts: 3093 | Location: Indianapolis, Indiana, USA | Registered: September 04, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by AUTiger89:
That SIG didn't retain magazine compatability was ridiculously boneheaded move. Instead, quality mags for both the original and A1 are difficult to find.

Is it accurate that the original P225/P6 magazines had durability issues? Specifically something to do with feed lips splitting?

An updated magazine that fixed these issues, if true, and that was compatible between the old and new P225 would be great.

I understand why Sig stopped making the P225A1 and P239, but I would prefer them over many hi capacity, or even smaller options.

Posts: 525 | Location: Texas | Registered: September 28, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TheNewbie:
quote:

Is it accurate that the original P225/P6 magazines had durability issues? Specifically something to do with feed lips splitting?

An updated magazine that fixed these issues, if true, and that was compatible between the old and new P225 would be great.

I understand why Sig stopped making the P225A1 and P239, but I would prefer them over many hi capacity, or even smaller options.

All of the German dovetail magazines (regardless of model) are at some risk of splitting at the top because the welds (several spots instead of a single seam) aren’t always as robust as those on Italian and US mags. However, I have only had it happen on one of my dovetail mags and it hasn’t affected its usability.

What SIG should have done for the 9mm P239 is pattern its magazine after the original P225, so that P225 magazines could be used in the 9mm P239 (like a P226 magazine in a P228/P229). Then they should have made a new 10-round magazine for the P225-A1 that would also fit flush in the original P225.

Formerly known as tigerbloodwinning

Posts: 336 | Location: Colorado | Registered: April 14, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tigerbloodwinning:
quote:
quote:

All of the German dovetail magazines (regardless of model) are at some risk of splitting at the top because the welds (several spots instead of a single seam) aren’t always as robust as those on Italian and US mags. However, I have only had it happen on one of my dovetail mags and it hasn’t affected its usability.

What SIG should have done for the 9mm P239 is pattern its magazine after the original P225, so that P225 magazines could be used in the 9mm P239 (like a P226 magazine in a P228/P229). Then they should have made a new 10-round magazine for the P225-A1 that would also fit flush in the original P225.

Thank you for the clarification, and I agree with your thoughts on what Sig should have done.

Posts: 525 | Location: Texas | Registered: September 28, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
34" Scale 5-String
Picture of bronicabill
posted Hide Post
quote:
<<snip>>

<<snip>>

Have owned quite a few P225s/P6s over the past 30 years, which of course included dozens and dozens of magazines. Never, ever did I have one single failure of any type!

Posts: 4585 | Location: Madison, AL | Registered: December 06, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I bought one back in the summer of 2016 and, aside from a few months during Covid when i upsized to a Beretta 92X Centurion, it has been my go-to CCW. I tried a P365 for a few months in 2022 but i just could not like it so i swapped hqck to the P225A! And sold the P365.

Laughing in the face of danger is all well and good until danger laughs back.

Posts: 496 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: July 08, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Austin228
posted Hide Post
I have P6/P225/P225A1/P239 and I agree on a few things that keep coming up.

P225A1 is just a modified P239 from barrel to magazine.

P225A1 should have been named something else, as it's not a P6/P225.

P225A1 Magazine's extra long base "plate" shouldn't be there, it should have more capacity.

I've never had any feed lips on SIG dovetail magazines come apart in my experience.

I've used my P6 for 20 years are so, got it when the first batches were coming in.

I have had to change roll pins out, springs.

I don't leave magazines loaded often and change magazine springs.

(Wolff springs makes good P6/P225 magazine springs)

Posts: 1471 | Location: Austin, TX | Registered: March 19, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted Hide Post
I can get along with the P6, but for me the ergonomics of the 225A1 work noticeably better, and I came across a second one that was used and cheap enough that I don't mind carrying it. Both pistols shoot well enough that I wish there was a little more distance between the front and rear sights.

A steel version would've been interesting. I'm not sure I would've carried it unless I found a good holster for it, but a compact 9mm with some weight to it isn't necessarily a bad thing.

Sadly two other symptoms of a short production life have reared their ugly heads. One is the relatively limited number of holsters available for it, and the other is that people seem to have stopped developing new holsters for it.

Posts: 27293 | Location: Deep in the heart of the brush country, and closing on that #&*%!?! roadrunner. Really. | Registered: February 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
34" Scale 5-String
Picture of bronicabill
posted Hide Post
For the guys who like their 225-A1s, where do you find spare mags, and how much do they typically cost?

Posts: 4585 | Location: Madison, AL | Registered: December 06, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I don't know for sure because when I bought my 2 I bought my spare mags back then.

Here is my best suggestion though. If you can't find 225a1 mags, see if you can find 239 mags. They are the same mags just a different baseplate. Then go to Galloway Precision and buy their extended baseplate. It is a +1 baseplate that will turn your 239 mags into 9 round 225a1 mags.

I have almost bought a couple myself just to get rid of my biggest gripe.

Posts: 7473 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Besides the magazines, the other area they missed the boat is not having a squared off trigger guard.

When I lived in Massachusetts in the late 90's I had a West German P225 backing up my P220. I really did dig that aggressive squared off trigger guard of the P225. It just looked bad ass!

I've lived in Texas since '99. I'm pretty sure that had I stayed in Mass, (the latter having a 10 round magazine limit), I'd be carrying a P225 as my edc, backed up by two more of the same, (I'm OCD like that).

"Kachi wa saya no naka ni ari" ("Victory comes while the sword is still in the scabbard")

Posts: 1032 | Location: North Texas | Registered: November 14, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bronicabill:
For the guys who like their 225-A1s, where do you find spare mags, and how much do they typically cost?

Here's one possibility -

http://gunmagwarehouse.com/sig...-round-magazine.html

I, too, stocked up back when, but they have popped up on sale in places in the past. Plus you never know when someone at a gun show table will have a couple they might be willing to get rid of just because there are relatively few 225A1s out there.

Posts: 27293 | Location: Deep in the heart of the brush country, and closing on that #&*%!?! roadrunner. Really. | Registered: February 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
34" Scale 5-String
Picture of bronicabill
posted Hide Post
It's nice to see mags still available instead of being like original 225 mags are!

Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted Hide Post
Yep, but they too could go away.

Incidentally, I happened to be over on Gu Brok r. There are a couple of offers at under $39, but I don't know anything about the sellers.