SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    King Cobra vs Python
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

King Cobra vs Python Login/Join 
posted
Bought the King Cobra today and compared it to my also new Python. I cannot see $500 difference in the two pistols. Anybody know more?

Shot the King Cobra today and the rear sight was way off. 8" left at 30 ft. Didn't have small allen wrench with me to adjust. Colt quality inspection must be pretty poor as a casual look at the rear sight and the mis-alignment was very obvious.

Posts: 1246 | Location: Northern Nevada | Registered: December 22, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
What do the internals look like? I read they are the same on the new models which is much different that the older King Kobra's and Pythons. The older versions had a completely different main spring and the actions (at least on mine) were vastly different. From the photos, obv the vented rib, grips and sights look different. Good question. I'm interested in seeing some of the responses.

Posts: 246 | Location: Chicago Area | Registered: November 16, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Out of curiosity, which barrel length King Cobra do you have? Is it the 4" Target or does the 3" even have an adjustable rear sight?

Posts: 6840 | Location: Treasure Coast,Fl. | Registered: July 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of CQB60
posted Hide Post
I can’t see the $500 difference either. I’d consider the price to be based solely upon the past reputation of the Python moniker..

Posts: 13796 | Location: VIrtual | Registered: November 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I am sure the OP bought the target model with the 4 1/4 barrel and adjustable sight. I am sure in that configuration it would closely resemble the shorter barrel Python. Does the King Cobra have a smaller frame? I believe it does and that it is noticeably lighter.

Since I don't own a King Cobra and have owned my short barrel Python for not even a week I can't comment on the question posed other than to say the Python is a beautiful revolver, and is worth the premium price to me. Seems the King Cobra represents a very good value.

Posts: 2550 | Location: Troy, MI | Registered: October 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bolo4tom
posted Hide Post
no comparison between the old Kings and the new...owned two 4 inch early 90s models and a currently own a 4 inch Python Elite.

the new Kings just feel cheap, are a smaller frame and the action doesn't feel as smooth as the old ones and nowhere close to the Python..older Python that is

Posts: 404 | Registered: October 24, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Both revolvers are 4" barrels and have exactly the same adjustable sights. The python is 41.3 ozs. and the King Cobra is 35.5 ozs. both empty cylinders. I really didn't notice the difference in weight until I had one in each hand.

They don't feel different when shooting but the scale says they are quite diffent. Just looking at the things it is difficult to see the difference in them.

Posts: 1246 | Location: Northern Nevada | Registered: December 22, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
I'm fairly certain my dad had a late 80s/early 90s KC. Couldn't hit anything reasonably well (both of us) & he sold it to buy a P239 in 95/96.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15150 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of rmfnla
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by brianfede:
What do the internals look like? I read they are the same on the new models which is much different that the older King Kobra's and Pythons. The older versions had a completely different main spring and the actions (at least on mine) were vastly different. From the photos, obv the vented rib, grips and sights look different. Good question. I'm interested in seeing some of the responses.

I haven't seen inside either of the new models, but the originals were vastly different from one another.

The original Python was very hand-fitting intensive, with lockwork that bordered on delicate. The King Cobra was essentially a prettied-up Trooper, which featured much simpler lockwork that required much less hand fitting but was also a good bit more robust.

I hope to get my hands on both to see how they work.

Today, my jurisdiction ends here…

Posts: 141 | Registered: August 21, 2021Reply With QuoteReport This Post