SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Which AXG gun?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Which AXG gun? Login/Join 
The wicked flee when
no man pursueth
Picture of KevH
posted
I want a 3.9" P320 AXG gun. I qualify for the "Armed Professional" guns.

I don't want to build it with parts since it's cost prohibitive compared to buying the gun already setup. I've always been "meh" on tan guns, but the cerakote on the Scorpion seems hardier then the super thin Nitron on the slides of the other guns.

Question:
So of the currently available guns, which would you purchase?

Choices:
AXG Scorpion
AXG Classic
AXG Pro (the LE SKU gun...no Custom Works markings)

Proverbs 28:1

Posts: 4190 | Location: Contra Costa County, CA | Registered: May 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
An investment in knowledge
pays the best interest
posted Hide Post
You missed one... the AXG Equinox.

Posts: 3362 | Location: Mid-Atlantic | Registered: December 27, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
I would never put Cerakote on the same level with Nitron.

Q

Posts: 26180 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
probably a good thing
I don't have a cut
posted Hide Post
Doesn't the AXG Pro have a 4.7" barrel?

Posts: 3365 | Location: Tampa, FL | Registered: February 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The wicked flee when
no man pursueth
Picture of KevH
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dakor:
You missed one... the AXG Equinox.

I didn't miss it.

It says "EQUINOX" on the slide in giant letters.

No interest in that.

Posts: 4190 | Location: Contra Costa County, CA | Registered: May 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Perpetual Student
Picture of Dan
posted Hide Post
You're going to discount it, but the AGX Pro with the 4.7 inch barrel is one of the best balanced pistols I've handled. Instant favorite. Most won't get past the slide cuts. They make the balance. Feels lighter than the 3.9 inch barreled upper, honestly.

Posts: 2459 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: May 14, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I am a classic kind of guy.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 15987 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Buy a P320 FCU, and AXG grip module, and whatever upper you like.

Posts: 4690 | Location: Indiana | Registered: December 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Lefty Sig:

This.

-MG

Posts: 1921 | Location: The commie, rainy side of WA | Registered: April 19, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by monoblok:
quote:
Originally posted by Lefty Sig:

This.

I think he already said he doesn't want to build it from parts.

Q

Posts: 26180 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
He did, but I think it's not as cost-prohibitive as one might think. The AXGs we've gotten in so far all come with four-figure price tags that are NOT just barely over $1k. Buy most any P320 with a compatible length slide assembly, spend in the low 300s for the AXG grip module with the basic black G10 panels (hint: no buying from SIG themselves), and anyone should wind up with a "AXG" that will come out ahead money-wise. At least that's what I've calc'd out and plan on doing myself to one of my existing P320s.

Downsides? An extra polymer grip module for the unused parts drawer. And no dorky lightening holes in the slide, praise the CNC gods.

-MG

Posts: 1921 | Location: The commie, rainy side of WA | Registered: April 19, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
probably a good thing
I don't have a cut
posted Hide Post
That's great if you're willing to take the time and effort to do that. But if you don't want that hassle, the price is only going to be maybe a couple of hundred more. I guess it all depends on how much your time is worth to you.

Posts: 3365 | Location: Tampa, FL | Registered: February 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Prepared for the Worst, Providing the Best
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Paten:
That's great if you're willing to take the time and effort to do that. But if you don't want that hassle, the price is only going to be maybe a couple of hundred more. I guess it all depends on how much your time is worth to you.

What time? It literally takes 30 seconds or less to swap out a grip module. You'd probably spend more time getting it out of the packaging than you would putting the module on the gun. And you can have it shipped right to your door.

Compare that to having to arrange for shipment to an FFL, drive to the gun store, fill out a 4473, pay a transfer fee, etc. There are reasons that one might want to purchase a complete gun rather than just the grip module alone, but time and effort certainly aren't it.

As to the OP's original question, I'd go with the AXG Classic. I don't care for paint-on finishes, or extra holes in my slide.

Posts: 8377 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
probably a good thing
I don't have a cut
posted Hide Post
The time it takes to find the deals that make it cheaper than buying the actual AXG pistol.

posted Hide Post
Stock parts make it less expensive than the factory pistol.

Posts: 6650 | Registered: September 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
probably a good thing
I don't have a cut
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sns3guppy:
Stock parts make it less expensive than the factory pistol.

Yeah? Which stock pistol will give the same features as the AXG Classic minus the aluminum grip module? The XCarry? Well, the sights are not the same as on the Classic, so not quite the same. The regular Carry model? No cuts for optics on those. Anything else currently available that has the 3.9" barrel is expensive enough that with buying the AXG grip module, it will be in the price range of the already spec'd out AXG Classic/Scorpion or higher. Unless there's some way you're getting a discount price. I'm not connected, so I don't get those prices.

The wicked flee when
no man pursueth
Picture of KevH
posted Hide Post
Well, I made a decision.

I already have a Custom Works FCU, 4.7" barrel and recoil spring assembly.

I went ahead and ordered a "Pro Cut" 4.7" slide and an AXG grip module.

I guess I'm doing the "build your own" option after all!

posted Hide Post
Well I've been checking into the same issue as the OP. I find that the AXG has the same FCU as the X-series and the X-series has the same FCU as a regular p320 but with a flat trigger. Now Sig is selling the standard p320 compact with a "3.9" barrel". I just purchased one for $454 total and shipped. Optics planet had the AXG module for just under $300 with discounts but mysteriously put it into a backorder without any ETA. So you can build AXG for $300 module, $454 for a p320 and $50 for a flat trigger, $100 for walnut grips (Classic) that's $904, substantially less than $1200 for buying a complete gun. Only difference visually is the slide cuts are standard p320 and not X-series slide cuts. Additionally the standard p320 doesn't have a optics cut if you need it.

I had a AXG for a couple weeks, when a friend purchased one, then decided he didn't want it so I purchased it from him, then 3 days later asked if I would sell it back to him LOL so he got it back. Looking to get another now cuz I liked the AXG a lot.

Actually I'm looking for a AXG module and I'm going to take my X-compact and put the AXG module on it. I'll have to reduce the AXG module by about 1/3" or simply use my 4'3" threaded barrel with compensator and not reduce the AXG module at all. I'll see which I want to do when I get the AXG module

Posts: 113 | Registered: December 01, 2021Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Perpetual Student
Picture of Dan
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by KevH:
Well, I made a decision.

I already have a Custom Works FCU, 4.7" barrel and recoil spring assembly.

I went ahead and ordered a "Pro Cut" 4.7" slide and an AXG grip module.

I guess I'm doing the "build your own" option after all!

You're going to love the balance and handling. Good choice.

Posts: 2459 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: May 14, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by KevH:
the cerakote on the Scorpion seems hardier then the super thin Nitron on the slides of the other guns.

The decision is already made and I can’t begin to try to follow all the other options, but the Nitron SIG has used for many years is an extremely durable finish. I carried a P229 virtually every day for nearly 15 years in a leather holster and it never developed any finish wear on the slide, even on the sharp edges. Other guns were carried and drawn countless times from Kydex holsters and their slides still look like new. I don’t know how well Cerakote holds up, but it literally cannot be more durable than Nitron.

6.4/93.6

“Most men … can seldom accept the simplest and most obvious truth if it … would oblige them to admit the falsity of conclusions … which they have woven, thread by thread, into the fabrics of their lives.”
— Leo Tolstoy

Posts: 47356 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post