SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Can't Stay Away From The Kahrs!
Page 1 2 3 4 5 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Can't Stay Away From The Kahrs! Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
Kahr PM9 is sized just right for carry. Have had my PM9, which I bought used, for years. Pistol has never missed a beat. I don't shoot great quantities of ammo through it but it has handled a variety as I'm a hand loader. Recently bought a TP9 as the larger grip is more fun at the range and the trigger feel is the same as my PM9. I like a lot of different pistols for different uses but the Kahrs certainly have their place.

Posts: 27 | Registered: May 12, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigp6:
I had an MK9 and currently have a CW45. Goddamn I hate those triggers.

What do you hate about them? I think Kahr’s triggers are one of the best things they have going on?

Once you make yourself realize these are basically small, flat revolvers that happen to autoload, it all makes sense.

Posts: 33806 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 1KPerDay
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PASig:
quote:
Originally posted by sigp6:
I had an MK9 and currently have a CW45. Goddamn I hate those triggers.

What do you hate about them? I think Kahr’s triggers are one of the best things they have going on?

Once you make yourself realize these are basically small, flat revolvers that happen to autoload, it all makes sense.
Yep. IMO the ideal CCW trigger.

---------------------------
My hovercraft is full of eels.

Posts: 3210 | Registered: February 27, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of FiveFiveSixFan
posted Hide Post
PASig, I think you touched on the heart of the issue with Kahr triggers. Anecdotally, those who started out their handgun shooting using revolvers seem to almost universally enjoy and understand Kahr triggers and not have difficulty shooting accurately with them.

To someone who began with autoloaders and who has either never had revolvers or has not kept current with revolvers, there may be a problem adapting to Kahr triggers.

I'm in the first category and find the triggers on my Kahrs, which all happen to have metal frames, to be very good.

Posts: 7311 | Registered: January 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Shoot, my K9 has a better trigger out of box than most revolvers. It’s totally smooth start to finish, no stacking, nothing. It’s a perfect DAO. It would be hard to accidentally shoot your winky off. Great gun.

Posts: 7473 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
Never owned a Kahr. Never shot one. But, just from playing with many of them at gun shows, I found them to have amazingly smooth trigger. Buttery smooth. And, very nice in terms of handling and balance. Not sure why I never owned one. Weird.

Q

Posts: 26381 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Do No Harm,
Do Know Harm
posted Hide Post
Butter smooth triggers.

I tend to shortstroke them under pressure though. Just too many rounds in too many guns with a shorter reset.

Not the gun’s fault, and I carried a PM9 for a decade. Just muscle memory.

Knowing what one is talking about is widely admired but not strictly required here.

Although sometimes distracting, there is often a certain entertainment value to this easy standard.
-JALLEN

"All I need is a WAR ON DRUGS reference and I got myself a police thread BINGO." -jljones

Posts: 11448 | Location: NC | Registered: August 16, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by pedropcola:
It would be hard to accidentally shoot your winky off. Great gun.

Which is precisely the reason I chose a CM9 and not a G42 or G43 as my pocket gun. I could never get comfortable with the idea of a chambered Glock in my pocket, they are great guns but that very short pull trigger (compared to a Kahr) always gave me pause when considering pocket carry.

Posts: 33806 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
I lusted after a K9 for years much like a PPK, P230, etc.
Somehow managed to resist the urge until it mostly went away.
From a practical standpoint there are so many better options out there today.

Posts: 9508 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of redlickranch
posted Hide Post
This little guy is one of my favorite carry pieces.

NRA Life Member

Posts: 1047 | Location: Bluegrass State GO CARDS!!! | Registered: July 31, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I bought a new Kahr CT-40 in 2015. The trigger was quite heavy and I didn't keep it long. It was my first striker fired pistol and it turned me from them for years. A few weeks ago I bought a Walther PDP and am very satisfied with it.

Posts: 253 | Location: Middle GA | Registered: August 17, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
blame canada
Picture of AKSuperDually
posted Hide Post
I've got a very early K40 from the first year they started making them.

It's a quality pistol that has consistently done what it did when it was new.

I'm on my second barrel. Untold number of springs. It was my daily carry for 15+ years.

These days it gets relegated to occasional carry, and I have intermediate shooters practice with it, as the loooong trigger pull is good practice.

I shoot it pretty well, consistently, and I always considered it to be a bit of a pretty little pistol. It's just the right size for a lot of situations.

I'm just not in those situations very often anymore...so it lives in fanny packs, back-packs, etc quite often.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"The trouble with our Liberal friends...is not that they're ignorant, it's just that they know so much that isn't so." Ronald Reagan, 1964
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"Arguing with some people is like playing chess with a pigeon. It doesn't matter how good I am at chess, the pigeon will just take a shit on the board, strut around knocking over all the pieces and act like it won.. and in some cases it will insult you at the same time." DevlDogs55, 2014 Big Grin
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

www.rikrlandvs.com

Posts: 13957 | Location: On the mouth of the great Kenai River | Registered: June 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by FiveFiveSixFan:
PASig, I think you touched on the heart of the issue with Kahr triggers. Anecdotally, those who started out their handgun shooting using revolvers seem to almost universally enjoy and understand Kahr triggers and not have difficulty shooting accurately with them.

To someone who began with autoloaders and who has either never had revolvers or has not kept current with revolvers, there may be a problem adapting to Kahr triggers.

I'm in the first category and find the triggers on my Kahrs, which all happen to have metal frames, to be very good.

Very well stated. I started on double action revolvers also. All of this talk of triggers is amusing. I only have one Kahr (CM9)but I do like it in my concealed carry rotation. I believe it’s called a Mika holster that I use inside the pocket.

Posts: 796 | Location: NW North Carolina | Registered: November 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of FiveFiveSixFan
posted Hide Post
quote:
I only have one Kahr (CM9)but I do like it in my concealed carry rotation. I believe it’s called a Mika holster that I use inside the pocket.

Mika pocket holsters are excellent. I have one for my K9 and have been very pleased with it for many years.

Posts: 7311 | Registered: January 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I bought a K40 Kahr many years ago; still own it, but pretty much have become addicted to everything
Sig makes. In my 26 year career in Federal Law Enforcement (USSS - retired 1986) we only carried
S&W model l9's, so I've also purchased a number of
S&W models. I enjoyed shooting my K-40. I also hate getting rid of firearms I own, so storage is becoming a problem. What do I currently carry?

A Sig MllAl 9mm, or a P-229 Platinum Elite .357 Sig.

Posts: 248 | Location: West Michigan | Registered: November 12, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Michael J. Shannon:
I bought a K40 Kahr many years ago; still own it, but pretty much have become addicted to everything
Sig makes. In my 26 year career in Federal Law Enforcement (USSS - retired 1986) we only carried
S&W model l9's, so I've also purchased a number of
S&W models. I enjoyed shooting my K-40. I also hate getting rid of firearms I own, so storage is becoming a problem. What do I currently carry?

A Sig MllAl 9mm, or a P-229 Platinum Elite .357 Sig.

I have yet to sell a gun. I always figure that I had a reason to buy a gun at the time of the purchase. May not remember that reason now though. As long as I have storage room, not a seller.

Posts: 796 | Location: NW North Carolina | Registered: November 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Just to weigh in on my personal bias against the Kahr trigger:

My favorite semi auto action type is da/sa though I have dao autos and revolvers as well. All of these have a trigger wall or stage or stack giving me as the shooter feedback that the trigger is about to break. All except the Kahrs. It is not a deal breaker, particularly as more rounds are fired during a practice session allowing one to relearn the trigger travel. It is however different enough to notice.

Posts: 442 | Registered: March 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of iron chef
posted Hide Post
Today I joined the Kahr owners club. I came across an attractive deal on a used P9. I liked how it felt in my hand, so I decided to take a chance on it. I shot it side-by-side w/ my P365, and in slow-fire, right away I was shooting the P9 more accurately & grouping tighter than the P365.

I think one of the reasons is the bar-dot Von Stavenhagen sights. I've always prefered them to 3-dot sights. The other thing is, it fits my hand well. As soon as I grab it, everything seems to line up properly. I have or had other subcompacts, such as the aforementioned P365, P938, G43, G43X, G48, G26, Rami, Shield. With most sub & micro compacts, it takes more effort for me to get them on target quickly.

The DAO trigger reminds a lot of HK's Light LEM. It's long but smooth w/o much stacking. The reset is very long, and I can see how that's a dealbreaker for many shooters. As others have pointed out, I'm OK w/ it for the same reasons revolver shooters are OK w/ their triggers.

So far I'm pleasantly surprised by my new-to-me Kahr. At 0.9" wide, it's still thinner than any other 9mm micro-compact on the market. It's crazy how much difference 0.1" in width feels in a handgun.

Posts: 3186 | Location: Texas | Registered: June 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of tomsem
posted Hide Post
I have a P380, a PM9 and an MK9. They have all been reliable and I like them all.

Magazines seem like they could have a better quality to me but they function and are well designed guns overall.

Posts: 92 | Location: Sioux Falls, SD | Registered: March 01, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tomsem:

Magazines seem like they could have a better quality to me but they function and are well designed guns overall.

I believe Kahr makes their own mags unlike the majority of other gun makers who farm that out, even Keltec IIRC uses Mec-Gar to make theirs. It's the springs that I think are the problem, they are known to not be the best out there.

I find them REALLY hard to load for some reason but the Magguts kits are a game-changer. Adds one round with just a new spring and follower they made. I'm a big fan of them and I'm hearing they actually improve the reliability of the Kahr mags that way in addition to giving you the +1 without adding an extension.