SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Bought an Uberti Remington 1875 "outlaw" revolver (video)
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Bought an Uberti Remington 1875 "outlaw" revolver (video) Login/Join 
Picture of 1KPerDay
posted
I have been hemming and hawing over this at the local cabelas for a couple months. Cowboy guns are not selling out as part of the panic buying that's going on so I've had some time to consider it. I finally picked it up today. I like a bit of the out-of-the-ordinary and very few people know or shoot the 1875 Remington even though it's a beautiful and nice-shooting revolver. This one is nickel-plated and looks really sharp.

Video for any interested. Unboxing and first shots. Shoots great!

https://youtu.be/ZgZyLqd5qiQ

---------------------------
My hovercraft is full of eels.

Posts: 3219 | Registered: February 27, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
7.62mm Crusader
posted Hide Post
I have seen a earlier model Remington original which was percussian. Even those were a strong revolver. Enjoyed the video 1k, thanks.

Posts: 17905 | Location: The Bluegrass State! | Registered: December 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
That is sweet. Very nice pickup you have there. I kind of did a similar thing. My lgs has a couple Taylor’s & Co Uberti cowboy guns. I got the 6 shot Stallion in 22lr. So maybe not quite the same as your 45 lol. These old style guns are very appealing I can see why you bought yours. As an aside, mine didn’t come with any lock because the cylinder pin has the second notch that acts as a Swiss safety. Which I never had heard of before. And yes, mine came with that same basically useless manual.

Posts: 7540 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Really nice looking revolver. Uberti makes some great-looking stuff. We had a few of their case-hardened examples come through our revolver display case in recent months that makes it damn hard to keep the drool off of that case's glass top.

We've actually had little problem selling SA revolvers over the past year. A lot of longtime customers who've already got plenty of semis and DA revolvers to keep their safes nice and warm have been looking and pining for the SA guns to round out their collections. The perception has been that Ruger is not shipping as much of their revolvers (both DA and particularly SA except for the Wrangler) as they were in 2019 only seems to heighten the demand, at least for us.

Even the cheap Heritage rimfire SAs are damn impossible to keep in stock these days. About the only SA revolver that doesn't sell worth diddly are the puny, keyholing NAAs.

-MG

Posts: 2004 | Location: The commie, rainy side of WA | Registered: April 19, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 1KPerDay
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by David Lee:
I have seen a earlier model Remington original which was percussian. Even those were a strong revolver. Enjoyed the video 1k, thanks.

Yeah the New Model Army was a great cap and ball. I have a couple and I love the octagonal barrels. They shoot great also!

https://youtu.be/1jIyscs6-h4

https://youtu.be/IrpmALYnFZY

Picture of 1KPerDay
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by monoblok:
Really nice looking revolver. Uberti makes some great-looking stuff. We had a few of their case-hardened examples come through our revolver display case in recent months that makes it damn hard to keep the drool off of that case's glass top.

We've actually had little problem selling SA revolvers over the past year. A lot of longtime customers who've already got plenty of semis and DA revolvers to keep their safes nice and warm have been looking and pining for the SA guns to round out their collections. The perception has been that Ruger is not shipping as much of their revolvers (both DA and particularly SA except for the Wrangler) as they were in 2019 only seems to heighten the demand, at least for us.

Even the cheap Heritage rimfire SAs are damn impossible to keep in stock these days. About the only SA revolver that doesn't sell worth diddly are the puny, keyholing NAAs.

Interesting. Come to think of it there wasn’t a Ruger in the place. There were a few Heritage .22s in the cabinet.

I guess people didn’t know what to think of an Uberti Remington. Or maybe they knew they couldn’t get any ammo for it. LOL

delicately calloused
Picture of darthfuster
posted Hide Post
Confession time: I found one of these for sale used locally two weeks ago. I have always wanted one and the price was right so I picked it up. Spent the evening admiring and fondling it. Has the antique finish. Watched True Grit. Anyway, at bed time I opened the safe to put it away and while moving guns around to make room I found a nickel 1875 Outlaw that I forgot I had. That's the moment when an addict wonders if he has a problem! I chuckled to myself and put them away side by side.

I liked your video. Glad you are happy with your new gun. Big Grin

You’re a lying dog-faced pony soldier

Posts: 29722 | Location: Highland, Ut. | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
teacher of history
Picture of maxwayne
posted Hide Post
Is that range in your basement? Very nice indeed.

Posts: 5627 | Location: Central Illinois | Registered: March 04, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have two Ruger NM Blackhawk Convertibles. One is .357/9mm and the other is .45 Colt/45ACP. The multi caliber thing is great and will be even better once the panic subsides. The Cattleman is tempting me too. Biggest mistake I ever made with the SA: Selling my Ruger Old Army. Lots of noise and smoke!

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16110 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 1KPerDay
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by darthfuster:
Confession time: I found one of these for sale used locally two weeks ago. I have always wanted one and the price was right so I picked it up. Spent the evening admiring and fondling it. Has the antique finish. Watched True Grit. Anyway, at bed time I opened the safe to put it away and while moving guns around to make room I found a nickel 1875 Outlaw that I forgot I had. That's the moment when an addict wonders if he has a problem! I chuckled to myself and put them away side by side.

I liked your video. Glad you are happy with your new gun. Big Grin
LOL holy crap. I wish I had that problem Big Grin

Picture of 1KPerDay
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by maxwayne:
Is that range in your basement? Very nice indeed.

Not mine but yes it's underground.

Picture of 1KPerDay
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by YooperSigs:
I have two Ruger NM Blackhawk Convertibles. One is .357/9mm and the other is .45 Colt/45ACP. The multi caliber thing is great and will be even better once the panic subsides. The Cattleman is tempting me too. Biggest mistake I ever made with the SA: Selling my Ruger Old Army. Lots of noise and smoke!
I'd love the convertibles in both sizes you mention. The blackhawk is a great platform for convertibles since you can adjust the sights to the different POI.

posted Hide Post
You are a good shot!

Posts: 237 | Location: PA | Registered: January 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 1KPerDay
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by OLD_COP:
You are a good shot!
Thanks! Once in a while things come together LOL

posted Hide Post
What do you think of their “antiqued” finishes. My lgs has an 1873 with a 3 inch barrel 38/357. It’s nice but the finish is either very cool or slightly ridiculous. I’m not sure which. My lgs sold two more of my guns and I’m considering turning some of it into that gun.

Posts: 7540 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 1KPerDay
posted Hide Post
I'm of two minds on the "fauxtina" finishes. One part of me thinks that honest wear is more attractive than anything. But another part of me likes the worn look, as long as it looks honest/real. These replica guns are often mechanically different from the originals anyway so it's more like a "tribute" to the original guns, in which case any finish you like is appropriate.

I haven't bought any of the "old silver" or "antiqued finish" new piettas/ubertis but I have 3 old Italian replicas from the 60's, a Walker, a 3rd model Dragoon, and a Paterson, all with completely defarbed and antiqued finishes, and they look really cool.

So, I guess I wouldn't have any problem buying a new one with "antiqued" finish.

I will say I don't like the fake wear they offer on some Gibson and Fender guitars, though. I don't know why; that just feels wrong and smacks of "wannabe." I think it's a different situation.

posted Hide Post
I hear you. I surely wouldn’t want an “antiqued” car. Lol. I really like the 3 inch SAA clones and the antique look is, interesting. When I pick up my money I will fondle it again.

Throwin sparks
makin knives
Picture of sybo
posted Hide Post
I have the HARDEST time paying for new, something that looks like a 25 year old finish. I mean , isn’t it about the journey? I CANNOT pay for a relic edition guitar.... I will wear it out myself Wink

Posts: 6203 | Location: Nashville Tn | Registered: October 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Totally understand. Problem is I treat my guns really well. I get holster wear, that’s about it. My oldest guns (I have a 30+ year old Beretta 92F) still look pretty new. I literally will never own a gun that looks like that through natural use. I have a really old Beretta 87 that basically always goes on most range days, has holster wear, smileys, etc, and even it still looks pretty good. My roughest looking guns are police turn ins. Lol

It’s not honest wear but it kinda looks cool. Or it looks totally stupid. I can’t decide.

Picture of 1KPerDay
posted Hide Post
I think it looks cool if done right. Cowboy guns are mostly about fantasy anyway, though they are fun to shoot and can certainly be practical. I don’t have any problem with factories who make them or with people who choose to artificially age theirs. I haven’t been brave enough to do any of mine, since I have three already that came that way.