SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    New Pistol - Hard Budget
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

New Pistol - Hard Budget Login/Join 
Picture of P250UA5
posted
Coworker is wanting to pick up a smaller/lighter handgun to carry.

Budget is $300, can maybe stretch to $350, with a hard stop there.

His current is a Stoeger Cougar in 40SW

Right now, he's eyeing the Ruger EC9S

I pushed for a P365, but out of budget, even from a retailer I'd seen mentioned where they're $430 + tfr fees.

So, any recommendations on a compact CCW in that budget.
Glock 19 & similar aren't far off in size to his Cougar, but definitely lighter. So, something slightly smaller than that would be preferable.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15150 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
The Ruger EC9S certainly seems to be a better option than the other compact lightweight offerings at that sub-$300 price point (Taurus, SCCY, Diamondback, Keltec, Bersa, etc.)

Looks like he could get a S&W Shield online for $325ish, although it might end up being a bit over $350 after shipping/transfer.

Posts: 32421 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sgalczyn
posted Hide Post
Are used firearms a consideration?

"No matter where you go - there you are"

Posts: 4561 | Location: Eastern PA-Berks/Lehigh Valley | Registered: January 03, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
Ruger LCP 380 Max, right at his budget, 10+1 rounds, fits in any pocket, lightweight, proven...

They were on sale over the holidays at $340 ish locally.
Link

Posts: 23238 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of iron chef
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by HRK:
Ruger LCP 380 Max, right at his budget, 10+1 rounds, fits in any pocket, lightweight, proven...

They were on sale over the holidays at $340 ish locally.
Link

Bass Pro/Cabela's had the LCP Max on sale for New Year's for $329.99. After tax, that puts it at $357.23. It was close but over budget.

Posts: 3172 | Location: Texas | Registered: June 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of dcowboyscr
posted Hide Post
Beretta APX Centurion or Compact

"Clear Eyes. Full Hearts. Can't Lose."

Posts: 3088 | Location: Indianapolis, Indiana, USA | Registered: September 04, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Plenty of used g43’s and reg. Shields for about that much in stores right now. Or tell him to sell the gun he has now and go get whatever he wants with his 350 and that combined

Posts: 3369 | Registered: December 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SigSentry
posted Hide Post
Been carrying the lc9/lc9s/lc9s pro for almost 11 years. It's a nice package imo. The 7 round mags are also easy to carry. I still think it's a relevant design along with the more affordable ec9s. It's a little snappy and the Hogue Beavertail HandALL grip sleeve helps. I still prefer it over the Max-9. Hopefully you can find one with room left for a holster an a few mags.

Posts: 3484 | Registered: May 30, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Waiting for Hachiko
Picture of Sunset_Va
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SigSentry:
Been carrying the lc9/lc9s/lc9s pro for almost 11 years. It's a nice package imo. The 7 round mags are also easy to carry. I still think it's a relevant design along with the more affordable ec9s. It's a little snappy and the Hogue Beavertail HandALL grip sleeve helps. I still prefer it over the Max-9. Hopefully you can find one with room left for a holster an a few mags.

I have the LC9s Pro I caught on sale some years back for $230. Had the slide treated with Ion Bond, fiber optic sights, Galloway trigger, and Magguts +1 magazine upgrade.

Also have the LCP Max I purchased for $350,some upgrades on that too. I like both of these Rugers, I think you friend could find one of these guns in their price limits.

美しい犬

Posts: 6673 | Location: Near the Metropolis of Tightsqueeze, Va | Registered: February 18, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by P250UA5:
Right now, he's eyeing the Ruger EC9S.
He could do a lot worse. In that price range, I think it's the best option.

Posts: 840 | Registered: December 07, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Any of the Ruger options in that range are reliable, no-frills guns. Better one of those than a SCCY, SD9VE, Hi-Point, etc.

Posts: 5143 | Location: Iowa | Registered: February 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Austin228
posted Hide Post
https://palmettostatearmory.co...stol-blk-sar9bl.html

I've met a few people with this SAR9, and they like it.

It's basically a Turkish made Glock/HK VP9 knockoff (parts are NOT interchangeable).

That one there is $249, which is a good price for them I've seen them hovering around $300.

Here's a review of it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0YvGxUpL2MQ

Also I feel like I've seen Shield EZ's for around $300 as well.

Posts: 1467 | Location: Austin, TX | Registered: March 19, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The LC9 is a excellent gun except for the fact that the sights are milled into the gun …..that means no night sights. If he’s ok with that then the LC9 is excellent for the money.

Actually this applies to the EC9 not the LC9

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Stroonz,

Posts: 393 | Location: Florida Gulf Coast | Registered: October 17, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SigSentry
posted Hide Post
Granted, the prices have changed in 3 years but there's still deals to be found, especially when they return it for something else because it's somewhat snappy. Just gotta get used to it.

Posts: 3484 | Registered: May 30, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Past Master
Picture of yucaipa
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SigSentry:
Granted, the prices have changed in 3 years but there's still deals to be found, especially when they return it for something else because it's somewhat snappy. Just gotta get used to it.

[FLASH_VIDEO]<iframe frameborder="0" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/0aFOBxWk52w" title="YouTube video player" width="560"></iframe>[/FLASH_VIDEO]

I bought a LC9SPro last spring (impulse) and have to say the more I carry/shoot it the more I like it.
If he can find one within his buget.

Harry S. Truman

www.CrossCountryQuilting.com
"Deep in the heart of the Ozarks"

Posts: 3967 | Location: Boone County, Arkansas | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I can't believe I'm recommending a Taurus but the G3C is a good buy for under $300.

Posts: 568 | Location: Beaumont TX | Registered: March 05, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Beretta APX is out there for +/- $370 and is roughly the size of a P365

Posts: 180 | Location: Upstate NY | Registered: September 26, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
War Damn Eagle!
Picture of Snake207
posted Hide Post
Besides the Ruger, I wouldn't discount a Springfield XD subcompact either.
Near the top end of his price range, but a Glock 26 size pistol with 13+1 capacity that will take higher cap mags for reloads.

A S&W SD9VE wouldn't be a bad choice either, as long as it has the Apex Tactical Spring Kit in it.

Posts: 12536 | Location: Realville | Registered: June 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I was thinking Taurus G2c/G3c was a decent sub$300 gun. Ruger Ec9s is fine too, but half the capacity of a G2c and I don’t really have any problems with the Taurus at their price point I think they are a good gun.

XD’s are nice too as stated above but even the defender model would have to be some crazy sale somewhere to come in under $350…

Posts: 1298 | Location: Arizona | Registered: January 31, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Frankly, I cannot understand what is so very wrong with your friend’s EC9s, especially if his budget is that limited. I just ran some comparisons, at the Handgun hero dot com site. The EC9s seems awfully small, as it is. Some few weapons are smaller, but, a weapon can be so small, as to be past the point of diminishing returns.

Personally, the smallest nine, that I take seriously seriously enough to keep around, anymore, is the Glock G26. The blocky rear part of the slide, and the width, of course, mean that a G26 is a larger lump, to conceal, than an EC9s, even if the G26 is technically a bit shorter, in height. So, I am not recommending a G26 to your friend.

Have Colts, will travel

Posts: 3188 | Location: SE Texas | Registered: April 08, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post